Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Trip -- new Coogan/Brydon vehicle

At times it felt like they'd found their rifs - the Abba barstool and the lunch table chat. It's a process of course but those scenes felt like they're 'getting' their relationship better.

The Range Rover stuff is excellent.

Got within £2.40 of the bill.

Winterbottom is using three cameras, according to the closing credits.

This week's episode reinforced my view that this is a quite a different type of television show from the norm. We get a blend of drama/comedy/geography/food/music, all presented in a very melancholic manner. The audience has to 'work' to get the show, rather than letting it gloss over them, which might leave some feeling that it's a bad show. Yes the voices get tiresome but that is surely intentional. Coogan again at the end of the show attempting to replicate Brydon's 'man in a box': "I don't care about silly voices, they're stupid".

It would be good to see it as a film. When we sit down to watch a tv comedy we're generally expecting it to be quick, easy to pick up, easy to understand, whereas with film we are happy to give what we're watching more attention. Plus it's easier to see the developments of the series if you watch them back to back than as self-contained episodes.

One point of note is that I think the show has alot of 'rewatchability'. The fact that we do have to 'work' to get the show means that there are things we might miss a first time that are better appreciated on a second or third viewing. Artistic television shows tend to share this feature imo.

it's already been shown as one at festivals and will in america iirc
i am liking this a lot more now it's got a bit more uncomfortable

Shown just with everything left in and edited together so far, tho I believe a cut down film is planned. Which is what I think would work, down to about 100 minutes.

One point of note is that I think the show has alot of 'rewatchability'. The fact that we do have to 'work' to get the show means that there are things we might miss a first time that are better appreciated on a second or third viewing. Artistic television shows tend to share this feature imo.
In years to come I'm sure this series will be up there in the "Fawlty Towers" 'rewatchability' measure, you know what's coming next but you just want to hear/see it again and go :facepalm:

:D

brave to be seen as a loving, caring father?

naah, i know what you mean.

a good ending, although brydons affection for his 'wife' didn't entirely convince me. i did like the conversation betwwen SC and his dad, all too true to life.

brave to be seen as a loving, caring father?

naah, i know what you mean.

a good ending, although brydons affection for his 'wife' didn't entirely convince me. i did like the conversation betwwen SC and his dad, all too true to life.

Yep, his mum saying 'let's go back in now'. Nice touch.

I agree. I was kind of hoping at the end Coogan would call Brydon and do man in a box or something.

Back
Top Bottom