Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The science of washing machines

Yes. The short cycle only fills the chamber with water once, which is fine for smaller loads. Longer cycles fill it twice or more. Commercial machines don't need to do that as they are large enough to get all the required water into the wash the first time.

Don't mean to be rude Spy but I don't think I would've come to you for washing machine advice. I don't know why but... :D learn something new everyday. :cool:

Yes. The short cycle only fills the chamber with water once, which is fine for smaller loads. Longer cycles fill it twice or more. Commercial machines don't need to do that as they are large enough to get all the required water into the wash the first time.

Not sure we need Keith Vaz posting here. ;)

Last edited:
Scary innit :D But - it's only a pair of black polyester and Lycra trousers and a thin grey plain sweatshirt so I recognise them, iyswim :D

View attachment 114432
or fall to pieces...

When I used to be involved in a clothing business, we put 'Dry clean only' on everything so that if anyone brought anything back, we could say 'Ah, you must have washed it'.

I would be inclined to look online to see if you can bulk buy sheets etc so you've always got plenty of spares - like a hotel supply thing, get the largest capacity machine you can and put on the hot wash. Only we use our sheets but wouldn't wash on less than 60. I've never had an issue with non bio not getting stains out but perhaps it's because we've used the hot wash?

If I had on average two new guests a week and was only changing between guests I'd have at least 4 sets. At least. If you're changing everyday, I imagine it'd be hard to not be always doing washing.

Blood is meant to be quite hard to be got rid of. Iirc you should use a cold wash to get the blood out as the hot wash seals it in or something. I remember Rebelda posting something about it once.

Blood is meant to be quite hard to be got rid of. Iirc you should use a cold wash to get the blood out as the hot wash seals it in or something. I remember Rebelda posting something about it once.
Always cold water soak first for blood. Also soak in milk, something to do with the enzymes in milk.

That Oxy stuff I linked to earlier in the thread is amazing on blood. My mum had a weeping wound for months that would bleed/weep and stain her tops and the Oxy did it's magic so they weren't all ruined.

The main reason will be the greater volume of water with each wash though.
Domestic machine are also limited to 3kW power, where commercial ones will probably have a higher load and heat up quicker. I think laundrette machines are often linked to a separate water heater so hot water is available straight away too, rather than the machine having to heat it up from cold.

I would be inclined to look online to see if you can bulk buy sheets etc so you've always got plenty of spares - like a hotel supply thing, get the largest capacity machine you can and put on the hot wash. Only we use our sheets but wouldn't wash on less than 60. I've never had an issue with non bio not getting stains out but perhaps it's because we've used the hot wash?

If I had on average two new guests a week and was only changing between guests I'd have at least 4 sets. At least. If you're changing everyday, I imagine it'd be hard to not be always doing washing.

I do wash at 60 degrees when I have time, but that's 2hr 15 minutes with my current machine. I have enough sheets, I'd just like to get them washed more quickly and efficiently!

Domestic machine are also limited to 3kW power, where commercial ones will probably have a higher load and heat up quicker. I think laundrette machines are often linked to a separate water heater so hot water is available straight away too, rather than the machine having to heat it up from cold.
I was looking at second hand commercial machines and they seem to need a 32amp connection, so there is definitely some more serious power going on.

Taking the temperature down to 40 degrees from 60 shortens my current machine's washing cycle by 45 minutes, so if I got one that filled from the hot water tank (do they still do those?) it would speed things up.

(Goes off to the interweb to see if speed/power of heating is mentioned on machine specs...)

Back
Top Bottom