Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The return of Lambeth Central - change to Brixton's Members of Parliament?

lang rabbie

Je ne regrette les gazebos
The Boundary Commission for England have published their revised proposals for Parliamentary Constituencies.

Depending on whether you think of Stockwell as being part of Brixton or not, Brixton will be split between two or three seats.

With population growth since the last review, Lambeth would now be eligible for three self contained seats, but to make the rest of their proposals for "South Central London" work, the Commission is recommending something very different, with three constituencies crossing Borough boundaries.

To add to future confusion this review started in 2021, before Lambeth's new ward boundaries were approved, and so it is based on the old ward boundaries not those that came into use at this year's borough elections!

Lambeth Central would be the only new constituency wholly within Lambeth - it includes the old Larkhall, Ferndale, and Clapham Town wards previously in Vauxhall BC; and Tulse Hill, Brixton Hill, Thornton and Clapham Common formerly in Streatham.
There has not been a seat called "Lambeth Central" since 1983.
1667915409743.png

Dulwich & West Norwood (spanning Lambeth and Southwark as now) - includes former Coldharbour and Herne Hill wards,
1667916291867.png

Vauxhall (now spanning Lambeth and Southwark) - gains Southwark wards of Newington and Camberwell Green to make up for the bits of Brixton and Clapham lost to Lambeth Central

1667916499702.png

and finally a new Streatham & Norbury (spanning Lambeth and Croydon) - the four "Streatham town centre" wards plus Norbury, bits of Thornton Heath and Upper Norwood

1667916210799.png

I imagine there will be lots of fun ahead as sitting MPs decide which seat to plump for

Last edited:
In the old days the Boundary Commission were meant to respect borough boundaries and hardly ever had constituencies spanning two boroughs, certainly in London. Disappointing that Lambeth can't have three self-contained constituencies, these proposals seem convoluted to say the least.

What happens to existing MPs?

If boundaries are redrawn would they have to re apply for a seat? And go through a selection process?

What happens to existing MPs?

If boundaries are redrawn would they have to re apply for a seat? And go through a selection process?
Dulwich & West Norwood looks virtually the same as before - the others not.
I expect n the Labour Party they all have to re-apply anyway. Didn't Helen Hayes recently tweet she was happy or maybe proud to have been reselected?
Meanwhile its civil war in Camberwell and Peckham

Dulwich & West Norwood looks virtually the same as before - the others not.
I expect n the Labour Party they all have to re-apply anyway. Didn't Helen Hayes recently tweet she was happy or maybe proud to have been reselected?
Meanwhile its civil war in Camberwell and Peckham

Interesting read. Its not civil war in the constituency. Appears that the original three shortlisted were those who got most nominations from local members. This was over ruled from above as Starmers lot wanted one of their own as MP.

Its not civil war as much as top down undemocratic imposition.

Another reason I wont be voting Labour next election. I may not vote at all. Every time I read this kind of stuff Im more put of having anything to do with voting.

It is unlikely that the Commission will now propose any radical changes to their proposals.

However I am sharing the Lib Dem response for some suggested "swaps" of wards that would avoid splitting Stockwell and Camberwell between seats and bring more of Brixton into one seat. If you agree, please write in saying so!

(Unfortunately, BCE have had to use the old Lambeth wards and so the references here are to them.)
  • 'Larkhall ward' should be reinstated to the Vauxhall constituency. In particular this avoids splitting Stockwell across two constituencies. (We then propose that the Camberwell Green ward (in Southwark) proposed to move to Vauxhall is absorbed back into Camberwell & Peckham.)
  • The boundary revision presents an opportunity to unite Brixton in one constituency but the current proposals miss this. We argue that 'Coldharbour ward' (the present Brixton Windrush and part of Brixton North) should be in the Lambeth Central constituency.
  • Related to this, the Goose Green ward (in Southwark, effectively East Dulwich) should remain in the Dulwich & West Norwood constituency. This enables the coherent community of Herne Hill, West Dulwich, West Norwood, Dulwich Village and East Dulwich which share many local facilities to be represented by one MP and has strong local support.
You can view the London proposals here and submit comments here.

Comments do not have to be long or technical! A simple expression of your thoughts as a local resident will be valuable to the process.

Rumours circulating in last hour that a message has gone out to local Labour Party members confirming a London Labour Party diktat in which Bell Ribeiro Addy gets "Lambeth Central" and Steve Reed gets "Streatham & Norbury" with no local selection process.

Seems a bit premature given new boundaries won't be officially confirmed until next month.

Reads to me that they have both agreed where to stand but not necessarily that they will be just given the seats without competition

I dont see people working together in the Labour party. Despite what he said when going for the leadership Starmer has made it his job to marginalise / force out / stop from getting picked for seats any on the left of party.

Id say that in some ways the Tory party of is more democratic. If you are on the right as a voter you can be ensured a full range of right wing MPs will be in parliament and have a say. From right wing headbangers to more moderate.

If on the left of electorate you have little real choice

If Bell Ribiero Addy steps out of line one millimetre or makes a remark/ twitter comment they can use against her she is out.

So effectively she is largely silenced. I can see why she is doing this. Its disappointing such an able young MP is marginalised.

I don't see that in the Tory party at this time.

I see even Andy Burnham- who I would say is centre left is getting it in the neck from the now right of the party. They feel so confident now.

I don't see this a good for democracy. Remembering the Blair years and it is one reason why people got turned off from voting.

Chris is a great guy - pity he is not contesting a more obviously winnable seat.

I'm assuming that as Florence Eshalomi was reselected by Vauxhall Labour members in March 2022, she will automatically be put forward as PPC for the "new" Vauxhall Constituency in the same way as appears to have happened for Central Lambeth and Streatham and Norbury.

What is the logic of the article? Basically Tony Blair came to power on a wave of dissatisfaction with 18 years of Tory free market policies.
Only to implement 13 years of Labour free market policies. So?
I seem to recall the Guardian recommending people to vote Lib Dem in 2010. Would they have done that if they thought Nick Clegg was as much toady of capitalists as Tony Blair had been (thinking student fees here)?

Back
Top Bottom