Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Official Ingurland are shit 'Euro 2012' thread.

Gerrard this day our Danny Welbeck And forgive us our John Terry, As we Phil Jones those who Lescott against us.

this belongs on this thread, rather than the celebrating the win against sweden one, but... did anyone notice how the present England team are massive pussies? Gerrard and Parker bottled more 50-50s tonight than a team full of David Ginolas.

And the number of times in both games that England players went down easily... Sweden almost bullied them out of it tonight. You'd think at least the players would belief the lionheart guff...

Wayne Rooney appears to have been practising telekinesis during his enforced rest

Wayne-Rooney-008.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, given the situation and the players available, this group has already over-performed, which is something you rarely get to say about England...

Hang on a second. They were totally outplayed by the French and snuck a very lucky late win against Sweden. Not exactly over-performing.

Hang on a second. They were totally outplayed by the French and snuck a very lucky late win against Sweden. Not exactly over-performing.
The French were expected to beat them, and Sweden were probably 50-50. Hence over-performing.

(totally outplayed by the French? They had more possession and a lot of shots from distance, but I'd say their attack was pretty effectively stifled)

The sooner we stop using goals to determine the winner of a football match the better, eh?

Any lump like Andy Carroll can bang a ball in the onion bag but can he and his team-mates pass the ball sideways twenty times in succession? No of course they can't and we should give points for each successful pass made over 30cm.
We can have a team of stattos working all this out and results would read something like

France 334 England 35
Spain One Billion ireland 5
etc etc etc

Might get the Americans interested.

:rolleyes:

I'm not saying England pulled up trees either, but turning up with a game plan against very tasty opposition and having it come off with a few wobbles is no sane man's definition of 'outplayed', exactly the opposite.

Nah, Ireland were totally outplayed by Spain, the Czech Republic were totally outplayed by Russia. France did not 'totally outplay' England, they were the better team but really didnt do enough to win the game. Its worth pointing out again and again that England defend deep and in theory hold the 18 yard line - anyone who saw Terry trying to run against Sweden will know why. It means that the oppo will always have a lot of shots against England because we are hard to get in behind. If anyone equates this to dominating the game they are tactically unaware.

As for the Sweden match I guess there is two ways to look at this, you can say that it was very close and on another day England would have lost or you could say England scored three goals from open play and had two mad moments which they should be able to sort out on the training field. Very lucky? Nah, we were good value for the win, thing is Sweden were just not that good.

The sooner we stop using goals to determine the winner of a football match the better, eh?

Any lump like Andy Carroll can bang a ball in the onion bag but can he and his team-mates pass the ball sideways twenty times in succession? No of course they can't and we should give points for each successful pass made over 30cm.
We can have a team of stattos working all this out and results would read something like

France 334 England 35
Spain One Billion ireland 5
etc etc etc

Might get the Americans interested.

:rolleyes:

England is the greatest team in the history of football and will not just stroll to victory in this tournament but also cruise to a 11-0 victory over Brazil in two years time at the Maracana

Nah, Ireland were totally outplayed by Spain, the Czech Republic were totally outplayed by Russia. France did not 'totally outplay' England, they were the better team but really didnt do enough to win the game. Its worth pointing out again and again that England defend deep and in theory hold the 18 yard line - anyone who saw Terry trying to run against Sweden will know why. It means that the oppo will always have a lot of shots against England because we are hard to get in behind. If anyone equates this to dominating the game they are tactically unaware.

As for the Sweden match I guess there is two ways to look at this, you can say that it was very close and on another day England would have lost or you could say England scored three goals from open play and had two mad moments which they should be able to sort out on the training field. Very lucky? Nah, we were good value for the win, thing is Sweden were just not that good.
Arguably Sweden had more good chances than France...

England is the greatest team in the history of football and will not just stroll to victory in this tournament but also cruise to a 11-0 victory over Brazil in two years time at the Maracana
Right so, I'm confused, a minute ago apparently I was wrong to think 4 points from 2 games was over-achievement for this England team, and now I'm supposedly over-rating them? Which is it?

I don't know why you come on say these silly things on sports threads? You seem like a switched on person but then just write silly nonsense, is it a wind-up thing or are you just another person who has a weird blind spot around British sport?

I don't know why you come on say these silly things on sports threads? You seem like a switched on person but then just write silly nonsense, is it a wind-up thing or are you just another person who has a weird blind spot around British sport?

It was a facetious dig at the observation that England have 'over-achieved' at this tournament. If you think 11 of the most highly paid footballers in the world scoring from their ONLY shot at goal against France and sneaking a win against a very poor, totally disorganised Swedish side is over-achieving well then, we'll have to agree to disagree. Over-achieving would be winning the tournament.

It was a facetious dig at the observation that England have 'over-achieved' at this tournament. If you think 11 of the most highly paid footballers in the world scoring from their ONLY shot at goal against France and sneaking a win against a very poor, totally disorganised Swedish side is over-achieving well then, we'll have to agree to disagree. Over-achieving would be winning the tournament.

Oh right, I get you and yeah can't disagree with that. This year there has been perhaps a bit of a swing from over expectation to under expectation. England arnt that bad and should get out of the group, thing is we have performed woefully at most tournements so its no suprise that people expect nothing better. However there are at least 4 teams who are better then England still left in the tournement so a semi-final would be for me exceeding expectations.

The key point is that this squad, after the usual injury list, is far weaker (on paper) than any we've sent to a tournament for a long time

gabi said:
lulz.. england aint gonna make it out of their group. they weren't anyway. but leaving the best english defender out, not once, but twice, is fucking hilarious for the neutral

;)

He's showing signs of disconcerting competence. Left Rooney on for too long though, Welbeck should have played the ninety.

Back
Top Bottom