Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Offical Euro 2012 Hooliganism thread

The one doing the kick boxing move is taking a big risk. All his weight on the standing leg, the other leg high in the air for an eternity. Do that against someone who knows what they're doing and they will block the kick and break the other leg with a side kick to the knee

:D^

The vid seems to have been disabled now.

It wants me to log-in to youtube to watch it. That means I'd have to sign-up. I think.

I've never been to a prem game where there were no plod inside the stadium. On your av home game there must be about 30 plod in the kop alone at anfield.

I'd be flabbergasted if there were no plod inside the stadium for that game. There are hundreds of police at prem games and Internationals and plenty of them are in the stadium. At the all Merseyside Semi at wembley there must have been hundreds of plod involved.Can't see why an international of this magnitude would be treated any differently.

I think a low risk game would be something like Chester v's Northwich and even at a game of such little interest to most of the population there is plod in the ground.
Yes, a low risk game with no police in the stadium would be a lower division match but there would still be quite a lot of premiership ( and tournament games) that are also classified as low risk which would not require many police in the stadium. An all merseyside fa cup semi final would be classified as much higher risk of trouble due to it involving rival teams and being at a later stage in the competition than a group game between Russia and Czech republic.

I would expect there to have been some police in the ground at that match but most would be outside and as that incident was very small and over quickly it doesn't surprise me that there were no police shown in the video.

My experiences and understanding of Polish dibble says to me that there were not any near. they dont shy away from a rumble.

the "police" in krakow consists not just of official bizzies but there are also various private securty firms who also provide a police type role (Justus etc). these ime are a bit like paramilitary bizzies and i have seem a few pissed up groups of lads getting a stern talking to from these when they have gotten too lairy.

My experiences and understanding of Polish dibble says to me that there were not any near. they dont shy away from a rumble.
Good point, they had the perfect opportunity to beat the shit out of a load of Russians, not exactly the most popular people in Poland. Wouldn't surprise me if Platini didn't want any police on show inside the stadiums in case it looked bad (we'll have to look out to see if we can spot many in the next matches!). There did seem to be plenty of stewards around at the start of the clip tho...

The video is here for anyone who hasn't seen it:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article4364334.ece

Same article says 314 people have needed medical treatment for outbreaks of violence so far and that's only two days into the tournament!

Three Irish, ten Polish & one Croat arrested. Sounds like more of a drunken fracas than proper crowd trouble. Maybe a melee, or even a rumpus, but definitely sounds like drunken twattery rather than hooliganism.

It is understood the Irish men were with a large group of people from other countries when bottles, glasses and a lamp were smashed in a bar. Dozens of riot police were dispatched to the square to restore order at around 3am today after fighting broke out among a small number of fans.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2012/0610/1224317654018.html

Actually, this will teach me to skim an article before posting it.. maybe there were proper hooligans in the middle of this after all

The three Irish men were detained on suspicion of public order offences, vandalism and damage to property. Elsewhere in the square as wider trouble broke out, flares were set off and chairs and tables overturned.
It is understood that some of the Polish men detained were followers of the Lech Poznan football team. Fans on the scene at the time reported that the trouble lasted about half an hour while officials said that the disturbances lasted only several minutes. There were at least 20,000 Irish people in Poznan last night.

Love this-

nighthawks-hooligan.jpg

Just need to photoshop his shorts to the tricolor.

I don't really understand international hooliganism. Does anyone really care that much about their national team? I'd take Luton having a six point headstart in the Blue Square Premiership over England winning the Euros any day.

I don't really understand international hooliganism. Does anyone really care that much about their national team? I'd take Luton having a six point headstart in the Blue Square Premiership over England winning the Euros any day.
Luton has plenty of England hools doesn't it?
images

Not noticed it in other games or earlier tonight but there are a lot of stewards around the perimeter of the pitch just now. Have they been there all game?

No one else notice the (Ukraine) fan they briefly panned over wearing a, sort of, black,vinyl balaklava? Think I saw them being worn in the Panorama documentary, ie a racist thing?

No one else notice the (Ukraine) fan they briefly panned over wearing a, sort of, black,vinyl balaklava? Think I saw them being worn in the Panorama documentary, ie a racist thing?

I saw that but wasn't sure what it was. The commentator mentioned something about 'an unpleasant gesture' at the same time that was on screen.

Not sure really. Didn't look that much different to the fan in the skin suit the other night. I'm sure the tabloids will have a view on it in the morning:hmm:

This looks a bit provocative :hmm:
Euro 2012: Russian football fans to march in Warsaw

Thousands of Russian football fans are expected to mark their national day by marching through the Polish capital Warsaw, before their team's match against Poland in Euro 2012.
There are fears of trouble during the march, given the historic rivalry between the two countries.
About 6,000 police officers are on duty for it, the BBC's Alex Capstick says.
Russia occupied Poland for more than a century and dominated it during the Cold War, after World War II.
The conservative Polish opposition has condemned the march as a provocation, but it has been approved by the authorities. It is expected to begin shortly after 17:00 local time (15:00 GMT).
The Russian national holiday marks Russia's declaration of sovereignty in 1990 - a key episode in the demise of the Soviet Union.
Polish media have highlighted fears that some Russian fans may sport Soviet flags and symbols - a highly sensitive issue for the many Poles who deplored communist rule.
"March or street war?" said a headline in the conservative Polish daily Rzeczpospolita. It quoted Wojciech Wisniewski, a member of the Polish Union of Football Fans, as saying "somebody really wants to make Polish football fans attack the Russians".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18409776

CyberRose said:
Breaking headline on BBC ticker is that it's kicked off at the march...

Oh dear. Radio was saying there is a big police presence. The commentary implied that if Poland lost it would kick off.

Twitter:

Disturbing scenes in Warsaw before #Poland v #Russia. People lying injured in the streets, riot police everywhere. Not good -- Ben Smith (@BenSmithBBC)

:(

Am I right in thinking they dont have segregation in this tournament? Things could get very nasty tonight if thats true. :(
eta: That might be Ukraine not Poland Im thinking of.

Am I right in thinking they dont have segregation in this tournament? Things could get very nasty tonight if thats true. :(
eta: That might be Ukraine not Poland Im thinking of.
Doesn't look like it from any matches I've watched...think it might be very bad in the terraces tonight

Luton has plenty of England hools doesn't it?
Yeah, I've seen plenty of the more scary Luton fans at England games.

I was in Cape Town for the world cup in 2010 with a few Luton mates and a few Brixton mates. We'd pinned my puny little England/Luton flag (with BRIXTON across the middle in big letters) up in this bar when we got surrounded by a massive group of lads. We were a bit worried for a second until they got their flag out - a HUUUUGE England flag (about 10 meters long) with 'MIGS' (the Luton hoolie crew) across the middle. We had a laugh with them but they're not the sort of people I'd normally drink with at football!

Back
Top Bottom