Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The new GWR Hitachi trains - my verdict

You think that paying "more money" means that you are superior to other pax? I see.
I wasn't being entirely serious with that point.

So TOCs are supposed to magic extra carriages out of thin air at a moment's notice are they?
No, they take a record of numbers of passengers on services and use that data to do some forward planning to strengthen services where appropriate. Clearly they won't get it right 100% of the time, but there must be some pattern to busy trains rather than it being completely random.

Cross Country nearly managed it when they introduced the Voyagers, they doubled the frequency of trains on core routes. However they also halved the length of the trains so it ended up being a complete disaster, but they tried at least.

I wasn't being entirely serious with that point.

Cross Country nearly managed it when they introduced the Voyagers, they doubled the frequency of trains on core routes. However they also halved the length of the trains so it ended up being a complete disaster, but they tried at least.

They've cut a lot of their trains from 5 to 4 coaches now too. The 5.50 train home is a fecking nightmare when it's a 4 car train. And reserving seats for a one or two stop commute will be illegal after the revolution.

So what you want to do is make the ticketing system even more complicated then it already is by somehow (how exactly?) charging different prices depending on whether a pax finds a seat available when they get on a random train? OK..................
Just about every service industry in the world, from travel to accommodation to others, easily manage to do this, so there is absolutely no excuse for TOCs in this country not to. It couldn't be any simpler, in fact. Want to buy a ticket with a guaranteed seat? These are the current prices. Prefer to stand or to chance it? Here's the cheaper fare. Couldn't be any simpler to implement, and would be infinitely fairer.

Never mind what the current set-up is, would you actually have an objection to such system being implemented going forward if it was proposed?

Just about every service industry in the world, from travel to accommodation to others, easily manage to do this, so there is absolutely no excuse for TOCs in this country not to. It couldn't be any simpler, in fact. Want to buy a ticket with a guaranteed seat? These are the current prices. Prefer to stand or to chance it? Here's the cheaper fare. Couldn't be any simpler to implement, and would be infinitely fairer.

Never mind what the current set-up is, would you actually have an objection to such system being implemented going forward if it was proposed?
So, what you're telling me is that you want have to pay for something that you can currently do for free? :facepalm:

So, what you're telling me is that you want have to pay for something that you can currently do for free? :facepalm:
Way to miss the point again, and clearly quite deliberately.

I'm telling you that if we are to allow people to stand up for hours on end on a long distance train journey, we should charge them less than those who get a seat. You do understand that basic principle of that idea, surely? Never mind what the current set up is now. I am asking about the principle of the concept. Do you agree the current set up is unfair, and would you actually object to the fare system to be changed to address this?

Way to miss the point again, and clearly quite deliberately.

I'm telling you that if we are to allow people to stand up for hours on end on a long distance train journey, we should charge them less than those who get a seat. You do understand that basic principle of that idea, surely? Never mind what the current set up is now. I am asking about the principle of the concept. Do you agree the current set up is unfair, and would you actually object to the fare system to be changed to address this?

No I don't actually. The system we have now is first come first served, and for those that wish to "guarantee" a seat (although there can never be a 100% guarantee of that) can do so by booking a reservation. How is that not fair?

You seem to want some kind of fairly land system where somehow people can buy a ticket that is cheaper, but only if they later get on a train and can't find a seat. How is that going to work exactly? Only it won't be cheaper will it. No. Because atm you're not paying for a seat, so what in fact would happen is that you'd have to pay MORE to get a seat. How does that grab you?

How are you going to guarantee seats for the people who have paid extra in the first place? What if more people turn up then there are seats on the train? What if the seats are already occupied?

Not in the regular smaller loos which have a satisfying chunky mechanical lock to secure the mechanical sliding door. You can have a shit without fear of a mid dump reveal.
The Virgin East Coast trains leave a little gap even when they are locked. Probably not enough for an actual mid-dump reveal, but just enough to prevent full sphincter relaxation.

I was on one of these new trains earlier in the week. It was less carriages than usual and we had to stand all the way to Paddington which was shit. I didn't think to book a seat as you can usually get a seat when you're travelling off peak. Next time I'll book.

Speaking of booking seats, not all services allow you to. You definitely can't book a seat on peak services from Reading to Paddington. It would be pointless anyway as there are so meany people standing in the aisles you'll be lucky to get anywhere near your seat.

Also, boo to the lack of buffet cars. Used to be a laugh in there on a Friday night.

I was on one of these new trains earlier in the week. It was less carriages than usual and we had to stand all the way to Paddington which was shit. I didn't think to book a seat as you can usually get a seat when you're travelling off peak. Next time I'll book.

Speaking of booking seats, not all services allow you to. You definitely can't book a seat on peak services from Reading to Paddington. It would be pointless anyway as there are so meany people standing in the aisles you'll be lucky to get anywhere near your seat.

Also, boo to the lack of buffet cars. Used to be a laugh in there on a Friday night.
And even if you do book a seat, it's not unusual to find it's been double - or in the case of my trip from Edinburgh to London once - quadruple booked.

And even if you do book a seat, it's not unusual to find it's been double - or in the case of my trip from Edinburgh to London once - quadruple booked.
Actually it's far more likely that the other people are in the wrong carriage on even on the wrong train.

Reactions: OzT
Here's an expanded report of my journey with plenty of pics:

gwr-new-class-800-trains-03.jpg

gwr-new-class-800-trains-05.jpg

In photos: A trip on the new GWR Intercity Express trains – and my verdict

There is mention in the vid I posted and Ed has put on his link about why Leather seats can't be installed anymore! Health & Safety basically.

Strange, because some of the brand new European trains have them in (and brag about it!). Must be UK regs rather than EU, or just bollocks!

Back
Top Bottom