Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The new GWR Hitachi trains - my verdict

You're paying for flexibility. Advances are discounted, restricted, tickets, that need to be booked in advance.

No you're not, you are paying because you didn't know you had to travel until just now. When my daughter was struck down with meningitis I had to pay a massive premium to get to her in Devon compared to someone who got a seat by booking months in advance. Classy.

Exactly how I feel about rail travel. Don't take my money if you can't deliver on your service. If you fuck up... give me back my money. Oh, and its too expensive.
How do they "take you money and not deliver your service"? Did they get you to where you wanted to go? Then they fulfilled their end of the contract. And you can ALREADY get money back.....

And do you really think it's beyond the techincal capabilities of TOCs in this country to sell tickets at different prices depending on whether they come with a guaranteed seat or not?

So you want to have to pay for a seat reservation? Something that is currently FREE! I see.

The fact that people are made to stand on trains and charged the same as those sitting down is a cunting disgrace. Not a disgrace. Not a fucking disgrace. A cunting disgrace. There are no two ways about it.

You do not need to be disabled to be in great discomfort at the prospect of standing for many hours on a moving train. Are you having a laugh?

I'm experiencing great discomfort right now as it happens, great discomfort at being made to read you waffling on and on. There are too many people wanting to travel for every person to get a seat every time on every train. That's not a "disgrace" it's a fact. It's also a fact that if you think that it is possible to get everyone a seat then you are living in a fucking dream world.

Your lack of empathy for other human beings is rather disturbing, but unfortunately not surprising.

Why should I have "empathy" for whinging lazy trouble makers such as yourself?

How do they "take you money and not deliver your service"? Did they get you to where you wanted to go? Then they fulfilled their end of the contract. And you can ALREADY get money back.....

So you want to have to pay for a seat reservation? Something that is currently FREE! I see.
You are (deliberately, I suspect and also hope) continuing to miss the point. Standing up on a long distance train journey is a bad propostion, and indeed considered unacceptable on most civilised countries. If British TOCs and the rail regulator see fit to allow people to stand for hours on end on long distance train journeys, the price of travel to them should be significantly lower than that for those who get a seat.

Do you agree with that principle? Yes/no?

I'm experiencing great discomfort right now as it happens, great discomfort at being made to read you waffling on and on. There are too many people wanting to travel for every person to get a seat every time on every train. That's not a "disgrace" it's a fact. It's also a fact that if you think that it is possible to get everyone a seat then you are living in a fucking dream world.
And you continue to miss the point. Please see above, though I'll repeat it once more: if it is not possible to get everyone a seat, how can you possibliy justify charging the same money to those without seat as those with one?

Why should I have "empathy" for whinging lazy trouble makers such as yourself?
So older people, the infirm, pregnant women, children and plenty others who are not disabled but would certainly be in great discomfort if they had to stand for several hours on a moving train are whinging lazy trouble makers in your view for complaining about it, or thinking being charged as much as those sitting down is not fair?

Last edited:
So what you want to do is make the ticketing system even more complicated then it already is by somehow (how exactly?) charging different prices depending on whether a pax finds a seat available when they get on a random train? OK..................

And let's get one thing straight, no one is forced to stand on a specific train. People with flexible tickets can get on ANY train. This is the whole point of them being flexible.

So older people, the infirm, pregnant women, children and plenty others who are not disabled but would certainly be in great discomfort if they had to stand for several hours on a moving train are whinging lazy trouble makers in your view for complaining about it, or thinking being charged as much as those sitting down is not fair?

I was talking specifically about you as it happens, based on your posts in this thread. And I already pointed out that their are priority seats.

And you continue to miss the point. Please see above, though I'll repeat it once more: if it is not possible to get everyone a seat, how can you possibliy justify charging the same money to those without seat as those with one?
Because you're not paying for a seat? How many more fucking times? Jesus......

Did you actually read the conversation?? All I stated was that VTEC's trains would have buffets, and ed came out with a dismissive "Whatever you say, blah, blah, blah".
Actually, I quoted union general secretary, Manuel Cortes who said that the GWR service would have no general buffet car in the forseeable future.

Here: read it for yourself - End of the line for buffet cars on First Great Western

Not in the regular smaller loos which have a satisfying chunky mechanical lock to secure the mechanical sliding door. You can have a shit without fear of a mid dump reveal.

That doesn't happen if you lock the door........

Not in the regular smaller loos which have a satisfying chunky mechanical lock to secure the mechanical sliding door. You can have a shit without fear of a mid dump reveal.

Cheers. i'll be on that route at the weekend. I hate needing a piss and not being to get in / out of the casi because it's been overly complicated by using buttons in non standard places, with non standard or missing tactile markings. Not like you want to grope around toilet walls to find the frigging controls.

Bit too much information there ed, though would have thought with your veggie diet there’d be no squeezing required?
I'm as slim as a rake but there's not a lot of room in the loo. It's got one of those combo soap/water/drier basins but you're sure to end up splashing water on the floor as it's all a bit tight in there.

Jesus Christ. This is exactly what I was talking about. You've got one person whinging about not having a buffet, and yet you've others whinging about not having enough seats. Which do you want? More seats or a buffet? I suggest you make up you fucking minds.

Probably the same idiots that think they should get a seat when they buy a ticket :rolleyes:

Who do you want kicked off the train so someone else can have their seat? Maybe we should start with you?

I've learnt two things from this thread. There are some new trains and bungle is a bit of a dick.

Exciting news about the trains. I'm off to Cardiff on Friday so might get to try one.

Er how have I been a dick? Because i have pointed out some facts?

If you want a seat get a reservation!! Why is that so fucking hard?????? Jesus Christ you people. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Walk on guaranteed seats and a buffet would be nice. Not sure why you're unable to comprehend that.
A million pounds deposited into my bank account would be "nice", but unfortunately we live in the real world.

How are you going to do "walk on guaranteed seats" when you have absolutely no idea who is going to turn up for a train, or how many? More people turn up than the capacity of the train, then what?

Who do you want kicked off the train so someone else can have their seat? Maybe we should start with you?
If I’m paying full whack for a walk on fare then they should kick someone off with a cheaper ticket so I can have a seat. Or they could just have enough trains/seats to meet demand. Whichever.

How are you going to do "walk on guaranteed seats" when you have absolutely no idea who is going to turn up for a train, or how many? More people turn up than the capacity of the train, then what?
I told you what I'd like. Not sure why you have such a problem with the provision of a buffet. You know, the kind of thing that has been operating on trains on that route for decades.

I know you're big on FACTS, so are you going to admit you got your facts wrong about the lack of buffets on current GWR trains yet, btw?

If I’m paying full whack for a walk on fare then they should kick someone off with a cheaper ticket so I can have a seat.

You think that paying "more money" means that you are superior to other pax? I see.

Or they could just have enough trains/seats to meet demand. Whichever.
So TOCs are supposed to magic extra carriages out of thin air at a moment's notice are they?

I told you what I'd like. Not sure why you have such a problem with the provision of a buffet. You know, the kind of thing that has been operating on trains on that route for decades.

What I have a problem with is people who can't make up their minds about what is is that they want.

I know you're big on FACTS, so are you going to admit you got your facts wrong about the lack of buffets on current GWR trains yet, btw?

Exactly what "facts" did I get "wrong"?

It seems that - liek the character in the Del Amitri song - you're the last to know. No problem. Good luck finding the buffet car the next time you board a GWR train!
I never said anything about their buffet cars on GWR trains.......

Back
Top Bottom