Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The new GWR Hitachi trains - my verdict

The ONLY reason you would have a seat reservation is because a) you requested one, or b) you bought an Advance ticket, which is a CUT PRICE ticket!
Cut price. Yet still stupidly expensive. Because trains in this country are run for profit and are shit.

Anyway, my point stands - if you have a carriage full of a shop you can't fill it with paying passengers.

sorry - doesn't editor's story relate to trains on the gwr and your story to a different operator?

e2a: yeh, afaik east coast trains are rather different to gwr / trains from paddington

Buffet cars: An onboard shop is a key part of the experience for passengers

Virgin unveils the Virgin Azuma!

Cut price. Yet still stupidly expensive. Because trains in this country are run for profit and are shit.

Anyway, my point stands - if you have a carriage full of a shop you can't fill it with paying passengers.

Er no it doesn't. The number of tickers sold has NO BEARING on the number of passengers on any particular train, and I've already pointed out to you why. If the buffet has been forgone to seats then it's because it's what the operator thinks pax want. Would you rather have a buffet or more seats?

Last edited:
That's the thing, people whinge about "Oh they're aren't enough seats" and when an operators takes steps to make more space for seats on a train people whinge about that too! :facepalm:

You can't have your cake and eat it.

Actually, the 5-car Class 800 *does* have a kitchen. It's just that it's behind the "rear" cab and is for serving to 1st class.

upload_2017-10-25_15-4-10.png

Compared to the old 125's these things really are shit. They had bigger, comfier seats and huge storage areas in each power car for bikes etc.

yeh i know the difference between east coast and trains going west from london. and i thought you would too.
Did you actually read the conversation?? All I stated was that VTEC's trains would have buffets, and ed came out with a dismissive "Whatever you say, blah, blah, blah".

Did you actually read the conversation?? All I stated was that VTEC's trains would have buffets, and ed came out with a dismissive "Whatever you say, blah, blah, blah".
yeh because it does bugger all for anyone on gwr, they could have people coming round offering the passengers oral sex and a line of coke on vtec, makes no odds to people on trains run by different companies.

did you think before you posted? - it is a rhetorical question.

yeh because it does bugger all for anyone on gwr, they could have people coming round offering the passengers oral sex and a line of coke on vtec, makes no odds to people on trains run by different companies.

did you think before you posted? - it is a rhetorical question.
And there was I thinking that this was a thread about the new trains, and how (shock horror) they don't have buffets, when (as I pointed out) some do.

And why are you all making such a fuss anyway? Why is it so essential to have a buffet rather than a trolley on a ~2 hour journey? GWR's Pullman Dining service (which you don't need a FC ticket for btw) is continuing on the new trains, and that is a far better experience than some knackered old buffet.

And there was I thinking that this was a thread about the new trains, and how (shock horror) they don't have buffets, when (as I pointed out) some do.

And why are you all making such a fuss anyway? Why is it so essential to have a buffet rather than a trolley on a ~2 hour journey? GWR's Pullman Dining service (which you don't need a FC ticket for btw) is continuing on the new trains, and that is a far better experience than some knackered old buffet.
the new gwr trains

That's the thing, people whinge about "Oh they're aren't enough seats" and when an operators takes steps to make more space for seats on a train people whinge about that too! :facepalm:

You can't have your cake and eat it.
Most of Western Europe seems to manage it quite well. I wouldn't be surprised if standing on long distance trains wasn't actually illegal in some countries- as it well should fucking be.

Most of Western Europe seems to manage it quite well.

Manage quite well? There is a limited amount of space available on a train, and unless you're proposing some kind of interdimensial TARADIS type affair, I'm not sure what you think can be done about it?

I wouldn't be surprised if standing on long distance trains wasn't actually illegal in some countries- as it well should fucking be.

So you want something made "illegal" that would then cripple the rail network and ensure that a great many people would simply not be able to travel? :facepalm:

That would also be an end to the turn-up-and-go service that we currently enjoy btw.

Last edited:
Manage quite well? There is a limited amount of space available on a train, and unless you're proposing some kind of interdimensial TARADIS type affair, I'm not sure what you think can be done about it?

So you want something made "illegal" that would then cripple the rail network and ensure that a great many people would simply not be able to travel? :facepalm:
I would certainly expect that if someone sells me a "journey" with no seat to park my arse on, the price of the ticket would be reduced by at least 75%.

Sheep heading to the abbatoir travel in more comfort that most standing passengers on long distance journeys. The least companies could do is to have the human decency not to charge them and arm and a leg for it as well.

I would certainly expect that if someone sells me a "journey" with no seat to park my arse on, the price of the ticket would be reduced by at least 75%.

Sheep heading to the abbatoir travel in more comfort that most standing passengers on long distance journeys. The least companies could do is to have the human decency not to charge them and arm and a leg for it as well.
If you want a seat get a bloody reservation. I'ts not rocket science is it.

And why would expect a discount for not getting something that you haven't paid for?

If you want a seat get a bloody reservation. I'ts not rocket science is it.

And why would expect a discount for not getting something that you haven't paid for?
Standing on a long distance train journey is a harrowing experience. If one must put up with it under the pretext that there is not enough capacity to provide seats for everyone, then the standing price should be significantly fucking lower, because the service offered certainly is compared to someone will not have to stand for hours on end whilst grabbing on to something so they don't fall and injure themselves.

I don't quite understand why the concept seems to elude you. As someone well acquainted with trains you must be aware that that, as an example, travelling in comfort in a first class cabin on a sleeper service costs much more than travelling on a seat, for obvious reasons. Are you really saying you cannot see why travelling whilst standing up should be significantly cheaper than on a seat?

Standing on a long distance train journey is a harrowing experience. If one must put up with it under the pretext that there is not enough capacity to provide seats for everyone, then the standing price should be significantly fucking lower, because the service offered certainly is compared to someone will not have to stand for hours on end whilst grabbing on to something so they don't fall and injure themselves.

Yes it must be so harrowing for you. Perhaps you should seek therapy.

I don't quite understand why the concept seems to elude you. As someone well acquainted with trains you must be aware that that, as an example, travelling in comfort in a first class cabin on a sleeper service costs much more than travelling on a seat, for obvious reasons. Are you really saying you cannot see why travelling whilst standing up should be significantly cheaper than on a seat?

I don't quite understand why the concept of obtaining a seat reservation is so difficult for you to come to terms with. I also don't quite understand why you seem unable to get your head around something that I thought was very simple, ie you're not paying for a seat.

Yes it must be so harrowing for you. Perhaps you should seek therapy.
Are you suggesting standing up for hours on end on a moving train is in any way comfortable? Most fit and healthy people will find it very tiring at best. Never mind everybody else, but fuck them, eh?

I don't quite understand why the concept of obtaining a seat reservation is so difficult for you to come to terms with.
Make your mind up. You were saying only a few posts ago that there are not enough seats to meet demand. So you are clearly aware some people will be sold a ticket even though there will not be a seat for them to sit on. Yes?

I also don't quite understand why you seem unable to get your head around something that I thought was very simple, ie you're not paying for a seat.
Exactly. So you should not pay anywhere fucking near what people with access to a seat pay.

If Bungle ran the railways:

pakistan-train.jpg

"They did not reserve a seat- make them pay as much as those in first class".

Who is "sold a ticket even though there will not be a seat for them to sit on"? No one that's who, because TICKETS ARE SOLD A FOR A JOURNEY AND NOT A SEAT OR A TRAIN!!!!

And who the fuck is "everyone else"? Last time I checked seat reservations are available to everybody, and last time I checked every single fucking train has priority seats for disabled pax.

You're just wasting my time. Your only purpose here is to wind me up. If you want a seat get a fucking reservation and stop fucking bleating about "oh I have to stand, waaaah" when you can't be arsed to actually pull your finger out and do the very simple thing you need to get a seat.

I don't quite understand why the concept of obtaining a seat reservation is so difficult for you to come to terms with.

You can't have a reservation with a turn-up-and-go service unless you specify a train, in which case it isn't turn-up-and-go. Yet turn-up-and-go cost more than the 'advance' fares which come with a seat reservation.

You can't have a reservation with a turn-up-and-go service unless you specify a train, in which case it isn't turn-up-and-go. Yet turn-up-and-go cost more than the 'advance' fares which come with a seat reservation.
You're paying for flexibility. Advances are discounted, restricted, tickets, that need to be booked in advance.

Exactly how I feel about rail travel. Don't take my money if you can't deliver on your service. If you fuck up... give me back my money. Oh, and its too expensive.

Who is "sold a ticket even though there will not be a seat for them to sit on"? No one that's who, because TICKETS ARE SOLD A FOR A JOURNEY AND NOT A SEAT OR A TRAIN!!!!
And do you really think it's beyond the techincal capabilities of TOCs in this country to sell tickets at different prices depending on whether they come with a guaranteed seat or not?

The fact that people are made to stand on trains and charged the same as those sitting down is a cunting disgrace. Not a disgrace. Not a fucking disgrace. A cunting disgrace. There are no two ways about it.

And who the fuck is "everyone else"? Last time I checked seat reservations are available to everybody, and last time I checked every single fucking train has priority seats for disabled pax.
You do not need to be disabled to be in great discomfort at the prospect of standing for many hours on a moving train. Are you having a laugh?

You're just wasting my time. Your only purpose here is to wind me up. If you want a seat get a fucking reservation and stop fucking bleating about "oh I have to stand, waaaah" when you can't be arsed to actually pull your finger out and do the very simple thing you need to get a seat.
Your lack of empathy for other human beings is rather disturbing, but unfortunately not surprising.

Back
Top Bottom