Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

the neoliberal vision of the future

In Ísland, they speak Viking. :)

That is pretty much true, actually :)
They are descendants of the old norse, pretty much like the Faeroe Islands. Even more there, actually.
But the language is old norse. And it's really really fucking beautiful. If you haven't heard it (which I think you have as I suspect you speak it) I would recommend the song "Ormurin Langi" by the band "Týr". "Ormurin langi" translates to "The long snake" and was the name of the kings boat. It's a remake of an old "Kved" (and old song/story-telling "method") of originally 86 verses about when the norwegian king the year 1000 had a huge defeat when he met 70+ ships against his 11 ships in open sea. It was a huge battle that depicts some rather cool battle-techniques and of course heroism. Because the king lost (duh), this was the start of christianity in Norway, basically paving the way for the big language fuck-up.

I may, and I probably do, remember most of these numbers only approximately.

Oh, God no. The differences are too great. Norwegian is based on the old norse pronunciation of written danish. This mixed, over time, with the rather huge number of norse/norwegian dialects. Danish does not have this. Swedish does not have this. Actually, swedish have more in common with french than english. In the old norse tounge, the norse could talk to english people because the language was so similar.
The only reason norwegians understand both swedes and danes so well is because the norwegian language has been f'ed totally by Norway being occupied by both these countries for a looooong time.
To support this, you should know that swedes and danes speak english between themselves unless the persons in question have some extensive practice in the other language. It's really not similar at all. But norwegian has become a mix of it all, pronounced with old norse sounds.

But enough about that...

I don't agree with this at all, but that's entirely outside the remit of this thread. What's left of it anyways.

I don't agree with this at all, but that's entirely outside the remit of this thread. What's left of it anyways.

Good enough. I'm sorry if I don't stay on track here, but in my view this threads original intention died ages ago.

But seriously you should agree on some of it, because it is facts. Not trying to be difficult though. But for example norwegian is written danish pronounced with the old norse vowels, diphthongs and consonants.
Any book on the subject will tell you so.

I'm far from an expert on Scandinavian languages, but I can tell you that Swedish most certainly has more in common with English than with French. :)

I'm far from an expert on Scandinavian languages, but I can tell you that Swedish most certainly has more in common with English than with French. :)

Ah, that part :)
Well... I know that was a bit of a stretch on my part. Sorry about that. The actual reason for me saying so was that the swedes have had a lot of "bonds" with France. This has impacted their language. Their pure relation as per "the language tree", it does of course origin from the "english side" more than the french. No doubt about that, so that far you are right.
I do not claim to be an expert on Sweden, and I most certainly am not. But their connections have during the years been, compared to Norway and Denmark, much closer to France than England. And as for Norways case, the scots are still heavily influenced by the old norwegian language.

So that was all. Just the connections from where they have gotten some solid influences.

Can I claim the case of non-english speaker?

I thought not... :p

Children are 'bairns'. dunno about church.

In norwegian, "children" are "barn". That is pronounced almost as "bairns" without the plural "s". In english they had to add the s for plural, ofc. As for church, I have no idea how to write that in scottish. But they have these words that is basically the same. Swedes and french have the same without me having any examples off the top of my head.

I'm sure you're right. Russian has quite a few words borrowed from French due to links during the last couple of centuries. The French built the Russian railways so a lot of rail terms in Russian come from the French. That kind of thing may well have happened with Swedish too.

Nonetheless, Swedish has links to English that go back to the fact that Old English and Swedish are both Germanic languages. It's a different level of connectedness – Swedish has a more recent common ancestor with English than with French, which is a romance language.

I'm sure you're right. Russian has quite a few words borrowed from French due to links during the last couple of centuries. The French built the Russian railways so a lot of rail terms in Russian come from the French. That kind of thing may well have happened with Swedish too.

Nonetheless, Swedish has links to English that go back to the fact that Old English and Swedish are both Germanic languages. It's a different level of connectedness – Swedish has a more recent common ancestor with English than with French, which is a romance language.

We totally agree in that. And it's not just another Onarchy fact.
And if it wasn't like ... oh... one hour past midnight here (which does not make it Norway) I would make an Onarchy fact about it.
You know - something correct but totally wrong, and at the same time insult someone.

Ah, that part :)
Well... I know that was a bit of a stretch on my part. Sorry about that. The actual reason for me saying so was that the swedes have had a lot of "bonds" with France. This has impacted their language. Their pure relation as per "the language tree", it does of course origin from the "english side" more than the french. No doubt about that, so that far you are right.
I do not claim to be an expert on Sweden, and I most certainly am not. But their connections have during the years been, compared to Norway and Denmark, much closer to France than England. And as for Norways case, the scots are still heavily influenced by the old norwegian language.

So that was all. Just the connections from where they have gotten some solid influences.

Can I claim the case of non-english speaker?

I thought not... :p

This is true. But seriously molo, there was a study a couple of years back where they tested out the mutual intelligibility of N/S/D and it turned out Ns got something like 85%+ correct interpretation for D/S. The Danes on the other hand - one in five didn't understand dialects from their own country, let along N/S. They do have strong Danish dialects as well, particularly along the north-south divide.

That's alright. You're not Onarchy, and nobody thinks you are. :)

:)
No, but just as an exercise. I love languages (which is why I derail this derailed derailed thread. Sorry), and it's always "fun" to attempt other peoples train of thought to produce sentences and meanings. Especially since I do speak a couple languages from totally independent trees myself.

And with that it should be said that Onar do this a lot. he leans on the norwegian language a lot. many of his, as he calls it, deductions only holds up in norwegian.

And with Onarchy there's a challenge. A big one. A really big one.

This is true. But seriously molo, there was a study a couple of years back where they tested out the mutual intelligibility of N/S/D and it turned out Ns got something like 85%+ correct interpretation for D/S. The Danes on the other hand - one in five didn't understand dialects from their own country, let along N/S. They do have strong Danish dialects as well, particularly along the north-south divide.

Totally. And danes have even in their south dialects that, for some non-danes, sounds totally german. Even more so for a bit older danes. It really sounds weird.
I don't know these studies though. I'm not a scholar in these matters. I'm more what you would call "too interested" as I myself speak fours languages from both the germanic and the Finno-Ugric stem.

Sounds a bit like Flanders. People living in neighbouring villages in Flanders can speak mutually unintelligible dialects of Flemish. It's really odd and something you don't expect to still be possible.

Sounds a bit like Flanders. People living in neighbouring villages in Flanders can speak mutually unintelligible dialects of Flemish. It's really odd and something you don't expect to still be possible.

No, that was pure spoken finnish. No doubt about it what-so-ever. Nothing you would ever see written, though :)

Oh shit... You obviously knows some of that, and as far as I can tell you have had this delivered verbally.
You dont' see that often :cool:

Got grandparents up north, plenty of sami and finn/kvene influences. As a wee babe I could count to ten in sami.

Are they on different islands or something? In Norway it's got a lot to do with geography, narrow valleys, long coast-lines etc.

Got grandparents up north, plenty of sami and finn/kvene influences. As a wee babe I could count to ten in sami.

Awesome! Kvene is not really plentiful anywhere. If I may speak as a language-buff: Please don't throw it away. Keep it. Nurture it.

I'd like to say something not about language or the future. Mostly because the whole "Onarchy" stuff in here have turned weird. And fun, ofc.

I just want you people to know that he is in fact a nice person. He has very strict views on things, but most of us have.
As I like to say at times: We should all meet to have beer so we can realise that we're not that different as people or in opinion.

Back
Top Bottom