Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Muso Equipment Nerdery Thread 🎸

My only strat is a honey blond Mexican Deluxe something or other. From around the year 2000. Original pickups, with a switch to play through neck and bridge in paralel, chrome hardware. It's a delight to play. Probably better pickups out there but it has that twangy strat thing I want and is very comfortable to play.

As it happens, I'm going to the Bristol guitar expo tomorrow and will try not to buy anything...

I passed a guitar shop in Beverley the other day, incidentally, and resisted going in there. I would have set off the GAS something rotten. I've since looked at their website and Duesenberg Starplayers are now £2300! I should have got one when they were £1500. Might never own one, now.

I played a mate's Duesenberg Tele a good few years ago, just trying it out. Had the B Bender thing, Was a lovely axe.

I have and I think you can hear the difference, to be fair. But Robben Ford says he can’t and he’s far better than me so what do I know?
The only difference I have ever heard between similar guitars is always just down to the pickups (unless something is really wrong).
I have an expensive USA Fender Jag and a cheap arse squire jag that cost £150. There is a difference if you scrutinise intensely playing the same instrument back to back through the same kit. . . but it's not £1000 worth of difference. I'm not sure It's worth £20. In fact I prefer the squire because it has a more simple circuit and is more reliable live (no whammy bar and seems more sturdy).

If I had to do 'being into guitars' all over again, id probably just buy epiphone and put in a new top shelf p90.

As it happens, I'm going to the Bristol guitar expo tomorrow and will try not to buy anything...
A shop I frequent is going to be there, the owner was telling me the other day. (Glasgow Guitar Trade Centre, on the Southside- they do used guitars). He has a very nice PRS SE custom 24 that I was in danger of getting in debt to buy. About £700. If he’s got that with him give it a play. Or don’t, if you want a bank balance!

I like to go around the guitar showrooms as a service to the staff and play bebop licks, to give them a rest from the shredders and sweep pickers who plague those places.

Anyone else got a Boss Cube Street? I part exed a guitar for one last year. it's amazing. I got it for a light amp to take to jams. I don't really like the saturated distortion model in it TBH but the clean with the aformentioned strat and loads of reverb is lush, it can go really loud for something that only weighs 4kg.

A shop I frequent is going to be there, the owner was telling me the other day. (Glasgow Guitar Trade Centre, on the Southside). He has a very nice PRS SE custom 24 that I was in danger of getting in debt to buy. About £700. If he’s got that with him give it a play. Or don’t, if you want a bank balance!

I like to go around the guitar showrooms as a service to the staff and play bebop licks, to give them a rest from the shredders and sweep pickers who plague those places.
I had a guitar salesman ask me if I was going to try a lead line or two after ten minutes of me playing rhythm riffs. Er, no, I don't do that stuff.

It's so difficult when trying to find videos of guitars to hear what they sound like to get away from the same tedious blues shit. I'm not sure I can even play a blues scale. All my musical thinking is done as major scales. You play an E chord, it's not G next, it's G#m

A shop I frequent is going to be there, the owner was telling me the other day. (Glasgow Guitar Trade Centre, on the Southside- they do used guitars). He has a very nice PRS SE custom 24 that I was in danger of getting in debt to buy. About £700. If he’s got that with him give it a play. Or don’t, if you want a bank balance!

Heh. AM going with some mates from my jam group. Will keep an eye out. But yeah, really should not be buying any more guitars... I tried a PRS custom something years ago, with no intention of buying. Was the one with a rotery pickup selector. It was the first expensive guitar I'd ever tried TBH and just wanted to know what it was all about. Smooth, is what it was about, as I recall. The sound and so easy to play.

The only difference I have ever heard between similar guitars is always just down to the pickups (unless something is really wrong).
I have an expensive USA Fender Jag and a cheap arse squire jag that cost £150. There is a difference if you scrutinise intensely playing the same instrument back to back through the same kit. . . but it's not £1000 worth of difference. I'm not sure It's worth £20. In fact I prefer the squire because it has a more simple circuit and is more reliable live (no whammy bar and seems more sturdy).

If I had to do 'being into guitars' all over again, id probably just buy epiphone and put in a new top shelf p90.
My main all-rounder guitar that can play everything effortlessly is an Epiphone Sheraton with 2 Di Marzio pickups. The back up is my Brook Super Jaffa that is a heavy bodied bastard that sounds amazing - seen below flanked by decorative Danelectros

562E8D9D-92AE-400C-A269-EB3158EE9BCB.jpeg

While you're chatting away to yourself I'll chat to myself about these virtual fx. This one is called granulator. It basically as far as I can tell with no knowledge or clue chops your sounds up into tiny grains, you can put anything you like in there it doesn't matter, even just blow into it. Once the sound is granulated you can then shove all the bits into a funnel cloud or possibly a tornado or a whirlpool (you can shift it's properties around as you wish) and everything just goes absolutely fucking mental. It seems a bit more predictable than actual weather perhaps if it was being operated by someone with training. Here it is 20230415_162628.jpg

There's just something about guitars with one pickup I really like. This for example. Not that I'd ever be able to justify the expense

PJD-App-CreamSoda-2_2048x@2x.jpg

A year on, and I still love my NS Designs CR5. I'm glad I got it when I could afford it..

nsviolincr5amber_headongoogle.jpg

Although I love the 1796 German violin that my dad gave me a few years before he died just as much - lovely warm tone, and nicely full-voiced. It probably doesn't really belong on this thread, though.

I didn’t see your guy from Glasgow at the expo I don’t think. It was actually really busy. Much busier than last year. saw some very odd guitars. A Squire Jaguar with loads of switches on, no idea what they did. There was also a custom built harp guitar. It was not plugged in but I was kind of fascinated by it. A Gibson flying V for a mere 32 grand. I did try a PRS though. but GAS wise I walked away with a thin line modern telecaster.

I have never owned a telecaster before. Was hankering after one. This has p 90s. I might try and take some pictures of my guitars later in the week.

Got my gear out for the first time in ages yesterday (fnarr etc). Forgot how much playing for four hours without callouses hurts your fingertips.

Spent it happily ambient noodling with a few pedals and got up this morning and immediately ordered a reverb pedal :D GAS is real and is that familiar 'one more pedal will make it all work'

I keep wanting to buy this:

but can't decide if it's worth it or not. It's a little more than I would usually spend on myself for my birthday. I am unlikely to ever play it outside of my house. My current amp is a tiny borderline toy one (blackstar fly three) but is already louder than I need. I have no need for a replacement as such but the thought of having a genuine tube amp to play with is tempting.

Back
Top Bottom