Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Muso Equipment Nerdery Thread 🎸

I sold all my pedals years ago when I fell out of love with guitar and spent money on DAWs and midi controllers instead. Then got back into it a few years later and bought a Behringer V-AMP 2. Here's my setup now:

1663850301659.png

The amp is some off brand Fender thing from China that a mate gave me years ago. It sounds awful! I tend to use the V-AMP with headphones when practicing now.

The V-AMP is alright. You can control it with MIDI which is quite nice. If you are using Ableton to create a song to play over, you can let it control which patch is used in different sections of the song.

I use a Helix Lt for recording. I have got a 1W Marshall Valve amp too but the Helix is still better for recording. Jamming wise, I use whatever's there.

Not actually a massive FX guy. The Helix does let you experiment though. A distortion before a high gain amp with the gain backed off on the latter is working for me ATM. I love a lush spacey reverb too. Time based FX always go before ambience IMO.

Typical chain is:

distortion - noisegate - wah (sometimes) - amp - stereo chorus (sometimes) - stereo delay - reverb

But record with reverb and delay off as doing punch ins doesn't work too well otherwie, plus more fleixability.

Got a couple of other pedals, including an original Electro Harmonics Deluxe Memory Man, which amazingly was given to me by a bloke in a pub my dad drank at back in the 90s. Didn't realise how much it was worth til recently and still works fine.

Also, @bees can fuck off. I’m not getting a smaller amp.

Always wanted a Marshall Valve amp. Totally impracticle and I'm not even really in a band. I got the 1W JVM1C when I saw it on sale. The full size JVM would be my dream amp. Well maybe a Fender Twin would be nice for the cleans too. And a Rev Generator... Actually the PRS Archon seems quite good as well....

Does anyone use a compressor, and do you like it? Maybe I’ve never experienced a good one, but I don’t like them.

Had a Carl Martin Compressor / Limiter for a while. Ugly boxy thing but was actually really good and gave me a "record" sound on the old amp I had. I got rid of it with the amp as the Helix thing can do all that anyway. I don't use the compressors in it much though as I spose I can do all that in the DAW but don't really miss it as an effect as such. With that monster Marshall you have, you probably don't need one for sustain anyway.

I’ve had the Fab Tone since the 90s. It’s an old fashioned sound, but it’s part of my sound now, so I have no intention of replacing it.

Also, if anyone cares, the Danelectro Fab Tone:

Well, edge of your seats muso tech fans, but last night I took the Danelectro off my rig and replaced it with my languishing Big Muff Triangle. I have to admit it’s much less sludgy. I’m now much clearer in the mix, even though I’m not any louder. So it looks like the FabTone is getting relegated after all these years! 🥹

I’m not sure how well the Muff stacks with the Soul Food (a klon clone), so I was just using them separately. I might put my Morning Glory (a bluesbreaker type) back on the board to see if it mediates between them. But then either something else will have to go, or I’ll need a bigger board. Which is asking for trouble because then there will be room for more resurrections (and potential sonic chaos) or even, dare I say it, further purchases! 😱 Because I know me. I have no self control.

24C3C805-3664-426E-8284-81C476FB1E84.jpeg

This is what I think I’ll go for (made on a really geeky app. Which nevertheless didn’t have two of my pedals!)

It means I need to buy a new board. According to the app, a pedaltrain classic jnr.

So I’ve finally come to terms with being old. My 1968 Marshall head and 4x12 cabinet is far too loud for rehearsals or even gigs. These days it makes no sense to have that much firepower in the back line. It’s far better to have a quiet stage and the volume in front of us.

I have a 90s (92 I think) solid state Marshall Park series 50 watt combo. It’s good for what it is, but it’s not really designed as a pedal board platform amp. Because of lower volumes, I’m using pedals these days instead of getting the crunch by overdriving the amp. And I’m a snob, and despite being deafened by loud amps over the years, I like to say I can hear the difference tube amps make.

So yesterday I bought a second hand Fender Blues Junior III ‘Bordeaux Reserve’. 15 watt! A tenth of my current fire power! It’ll be mic-ed up, but I’m still nervous in case I’ve made an error. I haven’t had such a low powered amp since an old AC15 I had in the 80s, which at that time did not cut it at all.

However it looks lovely. I’ll post pics from tonight’s rehearsal.

Tell me I’ve done the right thing.

In the latest instalment of me talking to myself about my music rig, I’m wondering about getting a Fender Telecaster. Hear me out.

My main gigging guitars are a Gibson SG standard (ebony), and an old warhorse of a Columbus Les Paul copy (black). I’ve had the latter since the 70s. It was my first electric guitar and I absolutely love it. But it’s a ton weight and the wiring is temperamental.

For decades I was a Gibson into a Marshall kind of guy. If it was good enough for the Ramones, it’s good enough for me, right? But (as above) I’m now a Gibson into a Fender guy, and I’ve been wondering if it’s worth trying the more traditional Fender into Fender. I can pick up a Tele on Gumtree fairly reasonably. I’ve always enjoyed playing mates’ Teles when I have the chance, but it’s a whole different sound. It even makes me play differently. But maybe that’s a good thing, right?

What do other posters think? (Yes, I could go on a guitar forum, but have you seen those places? They’re full of spoddy bores).

I keep my set up pretty basic. Tube Screamer, Delay Pedal and this 50+ year old beast of a fuzz/Wah/volume from Fender that I’ve just had refurbed and has the broadest sweep of Wah I’ve ever heard. All put through a Fender Blues Jumior or a Hot Rod (if a larger room)
BFFBB49B-A85A-40F4-9691-F778930117E1.jpeg8CAD42E2-013A-4B3D-A023-14DAEEEE37CA.jpeg

I keep my set up pretty basic. Tube Screamer, Delay Pedal and this 50+ year old beast of a fuzz/Wah/volume from Fender that I’ve just had refurbed and has the broadest sweep of Wah I’ve ever heard. All put through a Fender Blues Jumior or a Hot Rod (if a larger room)
View attachment 370730View attachment 370731
Tell us more about the Donner delay pedal. Donner are great, their tiny pedals take up very little room, and they’re generally very good. Is it analogue? How does it sound?

Of course the answer is it depends. As you'll know, one tele is not like all teles. What I like about them is you don't have to be careful with a tele, you can chop wood with it all day and it'll still be in tune.

I've owned two - a Schecter PT I should never have got rid of

7889798_800.jpg

and a Fender American Deluxe telecaster, which I've never really taken to, despite it having all the bells and whistles (you can have the pickups in series or parallel), tapered fretboard, locking tuners, belly cut, strap locks).

01-2.jpg

Mexican Fenders are supposed to be very good in terms of quality over price point, but I can't say I've played one myself. That said, Squier are also exceptional value for money, I really like the look of this oddity:

As always - and as I've not always done myself - I'd go and play some. You'll fall in love with something, I'm sure.

I passed a guitar shop in Beverley the other day, incidentally, and resisted going in there. I would have set off the GAS something rotten. I've since looked at their website and Duesenberg Starplayers are now £2300! I should have got one when they were £1500. Might never own one, now.

I have a few daft pedals that I use for recording, but they never sound right live. . . . My pedal board looks quite boring.

20230415_115208.jpg

I honestly think the best thing about it is the power supply. It lasts for a ridiculously long time. I have only had to recharge it once since I bought it a year ago and that was only because I accidentally left it on for two weeks after a gig.

20230415_115649.jpg

I love not having cables. . . But even if it does run down, it has a regular phone charger socket and will work while charging.

Last edited:
Explain the band are you threatening to kick you out if you don't evolve your sound ;)

Vintage 52' Tele pickups. Are you thinking of getting a Mexican?
Look, I want an American but my budget is unlikely to stretch that far. I’ve seen a Fender Japanese Tele on Gumtree that looks good value. Some fret wear, seemingly. I probably won’t get that one because it’s not going to be this month anyway. But I’ll keep an eye out for what’s around.

Mexican Fenders are supposed to be very good in terms of quality over price point, but I can't say I've played one myself.
I have and I think you can hear the difference, to be fair. But Robben Ford says he can’t and he’s far better than me so what do I know?

Tell us more about the Donner delay pedal. Donner are great, their tiny pedals take up very little room, and they’re generally very good. Is it analogue? How does it sound?
It’s a beautiful wee pedal (I think it was only £15 or so) that simulates a WEM Copycat better than any pedal I’ve ever used - especially the echo feedback function. Great for hitting a note and letting it fade before it returns as a multi repeat monster. Perfect for vintage dub effects.

I use it in this where the vocal repeats and returns:

I do have a copycat proper but it’s too cumbersome to gig with.

Always wanted a Marshall Valve amp. Totally impracticle and I'm not even really in a band.
I am in a band and they are still totally impractical.
I have a 50w Marshall combo and a 100w. Almost always too loud for any venues and too heavy anyway.
I generally plug in an Orange Valve 15w Dark Terror Head into the speakers in the 100w cab and that is generally more than enough for any rehearsal / gig. . . sounds better too.

Back
Top Bottom