Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The moth suicides

Diamond

The Red Baron
My flat has a problem with moths. Recently I opened a new front against them with some cutting edge kit off Amazon. But now it seems as if I have, in combination with the cold weather and the layout of my flat, introduced a system whereby all these moths end up committing suicide in either my shower or toilet bowl, driven there by fumes and unable or unwilling to escape.

I'm starting to find it a little distressing and have even begun to wonder whether I have inaugurated a perverse culture of ritualised self-sacrifice in my moth population.

It has gotten to the point where there will be a number of them, maybe 5-10, waiting for me to shower in the morning, or so it seems, just so they can destroy themselves in the stream of water before me.

There's a curious non-violent protest element to it all - as if they are trying to shame me into changing my murderous ways.

In some limited sense, I suppose this thread is my penance.

Moth lifespans can be as short as two days and few exceed a couple of months, so wouldn't feel too bad, they're not long for this world either way.

I can understand the concern. No one wants loads of pretty insects committing suicide in your shower.

And they are attractive animals.

Even if they don't live very long.

Back
Top Bottom