Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

8 dead and 36 wounded. YPG reinforcements on the way. Daesh were apparently dressed in YPG clothing and sneaked over the Turkish border.

The amount of restraint and discipline demonstrated by the Kurdish people of Turkey in the face of provocation after provocation is amazing.

The amount of restraint and discipline demonstrated by the Kurdish people of Turkey in the face of provocation after provocation is amazing.

Most Kurds in Turkey want absolutely nothing to do with the YPG. Admittedly that might change if Erdogan carries on like this.

Most Kurds in Turkey want absolutely nothing to do with the YPG. Admittedly that might change if Erdogan carries on like this.

Who said anything about the YPG? Kurdish anti-ISIS sentiment definitely is not limited to YPG supporters

Who said anything about the YPG? Kurdish anti-ISIS sentiment definitely is not limited to YPG supporters

And anti-ISIS sentiment in Turkey is not limited to Kurds. So it doesn't make sense to single out Turkey's Kurds as having been provoked by Erdogan's policies.

Suicide mission in kobani rather than a proper attack, designed to draw other ypg back there from the Raqqa front probably. Isis have also gone hard on al-hasakah (that's regime ypg and allies mainly the first) and ayn-al-arab (ypg) plus a few other suicide things in smaller lightly defended villages. Plus the big message from Turkey in kobani.

I would expect to see a lot of actions of todays type over the coming period - geographically dispersed small scale attacks (on symbolic targets if possible) designed to keep ypg covering a larger area than they really want and stopping them clearing up/concentrating in raqqa. I expect they will be trying to make it appear as if they are FSA or other allies, maybe actually infiltrating these groups as well.

edit: to add to this, there are rumours that serious the ISIS advance in al-hasakah overnight was made possible by a load of NDF (iran backed pro-regime militia) who hold most of the city unveiling themselves as ISIS. Doesn't sound likely, but also doesn't sound impossible.

I really recommend people read this btw

For me this is the key sentence: "They believed that Islam was defined more by opposition to today’s western world than by any religious ideal." I suspect that revulsion against capitalism is the prime motivation for many. The article compares them to the kind of communist who emigrated to the Soviet Union.

Back
Top Bottom