Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

You were the person who offered up the fact that you'd had a Muslim lover as somehow qualifying you to pronounce on Islam, no-one else.

The fact that I sleep/slept with someone who came from a Muslim family from the Gulf has no significance beyond what she has disclosed to me. Maybe the information is incorrect, that may be likely, but it is independent information. I could tell you countless other things that are more interesting beyond - genuinely surprising stuff about day-to-day in Saudi.

No, it's a very broad one.
Regardless of how broad or narrow the category is, you did what I stated you did. No amount of post-event quibbling about precision of categories alters that fact.

That makes no sense.

You are trying to adopt grandeur in your language and categorically failing.

The fact that I sleep/slept with someone who came from a Muslim family from the Gulf has no significance beyond what she has disclosed to me. Maybe the information is incorrect, that may be likely, but it is independent information. I could tell you countless other things that are more interesting beyond - genuinely surprising stuff about day-to-day in Saudi.

If it has so little significance, then why raise the issue in the first place? You did so because you believed that doing so would allow you to speak about Islam from a position of "authority". That much is obvious from the posts in question.

If it has so little significance, then why raise the issue in the first place? You did so because you believed that doing so would allow you to speak about Islam from a position of "authority". That much is obvious from the posts in question.

I am not Muslim. I grew up in a Christian family. I studied Islam at university but to no great consequence

I subsequently spent a lot of time with a girlfriend who had grown up in a thoroughly Islamic culture which she absolutely hated and, on reflection, had profoundly damaged her in sense of self-worth and so on. We talked a lot about this because her depression and lack of self-worth was central to all of that. She had a lot of very clear and precise ideas about Islam and how it is wielded as a tool of oppression/control.

Now forgive me, is that irrelevant and/or am I supposed to ignore that when I discuss matters Islam with you and, if so, why?

Another link from Jadalliya magazine - Scott Long (US academic, Human Rights Watch background) writing an engaging, slightly scatter-gun piece on the dissemination/analysis of IS propaganda, particularly the execution of gay men, challenging identity politics responses that allow gay men in the US especially to respond as fellow victims ("gay as a source of sympathy trumps American as a reminder of responsibility. Probably that is because sympathy, unlike responsibility, does not carry obligations"), & even challenging the description of the victims as 'gay'.

Link contains photos of executions.
Just read this, very complex thoughtfully provocative piece - absolutely worth the time. His blog is here and info about where he's coming from is here. For me it's always a good sign when i want to know where the writer is coming from because they sound really interesting and probably have other things i may be interested in, rather than just to establish if they're a good credible source for the original article.

That makes no sense.

You are trying to adopt grandeur in your language and categorically failing.
you're not making sense. why not ignore this thread because you're clearly not cut out for the cut and thrust of debate at the level found on this thread and not capable of understanding what other people say to you?

you're not making sense. why not ignore this thread because you're clearly not cut out for the cut and thrust of debate at the level found on this thread and not capable of understanding what other people say to you?

This is yet another example of you viewing things according to the "duel"...

"Cut and thrust"... for fuck's sake, how about you grow up?

If I was a newbie, I would be intimidated by your style but I am not and can therefore recognise your severe limitations for what they are.

Do you have any kind of life offline at all?

This is yet another example of you viewing things according to the "duel"...

"Cut and thrust"... for fuck's sake, how about you grow up?

If I was a newbie, I would be intimidated by your style but I am not and can therefore recognise your severe limitations for what they are.

Do you have any kind of life offline at all?
Diamond you keep on giving. :thumbs:

Just out of interest how do you hope this will go?

I couldn't give a proverbial.

It will go how it will but I won't be browbeaten by morons. That you can rely on.
if you think so many people on this thread are morons that's surely an argument for you leaving the thread or placing it on ignore. please do so, for your own sake if not ours.

That would be a very handy divine order - totally in line with historical Mohammed's rather practical and well timed visions though.

Al-Baghdadi claims Prophet ordered him to leave Mosul

Head of ISIS Abu-Baker Al-Baghdadi has claimed that he dreamt of Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) who asked him to evacuate Mosul, Al-Sharq.com reported yesterday.

He claimed that the Prophet asked him to leave the province with all of his men without fighting.

Local Iraqi sources in Mosul reported that ISIS militias would withdraw from the city upon receiving orders from their leader Al-Baghdadi.

I wonder if he ordered them to booby trap and set up tunnel bombs as well?

Al-sharq i preumse is this Qatari news org? Anyway, can't read the report and aren't really posting it as hard news.

It's not going to end well for that Baghdadi, is it? If they lose Mosul and the surrounding oilfields it would severely limit their ability to raise money - I can't see them surviving long without it, proverbial goose of golden eggs that Mosul has been.

That would be a very handy divine order - totally in line with historical Mohammed's rather practical and well timed visions though.

Hard to believe that he actually said that, tbh. If he has the number of people over there who question his suitability to be caliph / alive (delete as appropriate) will probably increase a great deal.

It's not going to end well for that Baghdadi, is it? If they lose Mosul and the surrounding oilfields it would severely limit their ability to raise money - I can't see them surviving long without it, proverbial goose of golden eggs that Mosul has been.

They did OK before they had it. A battle for Mosul would surely be a massive blood bath for all concerned, withdrawing to consolidate other areas could be a sound tactical move.

Is Diamond a Merkin or has the elevation of personal experience over anything as tiring as knowledge... has it infected these shores?

So personal experience has nothing to do with knowledge?

That's a pretty bizarre proposition to suggest...

Back
Top Bottom