Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

Major new ISIS assault on Ras al-Ayn/Serê Kaniye - this is on the syrian/turkey border - isis obv worried they're going to be cut off from resupply from the whole border area over next few weeks and months. Town is inbetween th kobani and Jazira Cantons, closer to the latter- this is precisely where the YPG/J and associated groups are aiming to squeeze ISIS.

View attachment 68672

Wiki describes Ras al Ayn/Sere Kaniye as 'heterogenous', and the entry on the liberation of the town from Assad sounds complicated - FSA, YPG & non-specific 'jihadis' fighting for ascendancy after Assad's mob were dislodged. Any idea who is responsible for security there now, or if there is a monopoly of military/coercive power?

Wiki describes Ras al Ayn/Sere Kaniye as 'heterogenous', and the entry on the liberation of the town from Assad sounds complicated - FSA, YPG & non-specific 'jihadis' fighting for ascendancy after Assad's mob were dislodged. Any idea who is responsible for security there now, or if there is a monopoly of military/coercive power?
no one knows

I don't know, i think it must be YPG probably alone for now given who appears to be defending (and lots of dead already) - and maybe a local informal truce up to this point. Or this point last week if you see what i mean.

On a related point, the FSA group who have been with the YPG since kobani must be picking up support/recruits in the last few months - in these mixed areas this is going to be so important.

Israel have neutron bombs they could use to protect things.Im suprised netty hasnt beeen digging them out and dusting them off, just in case...

Why would they? ISIS are no real threat to Israel, in fact its existence offers many strategic advantages to them. ISIS and the Syrian Civil War keeps Hezbollah and Iran very busy and ties up their resources, causes further threats to the unity of Palestinian leadership particular in the diaspora, takes attention away from the day to day occupation and allows the Israeli PR machine to compare Hamas to ISIS.

There is a reason why Israel aids the FSA (and probably al-Nusra), much to the consternation of Druze in the IDF at aid given to the persecutors of their co-religionists across the border, they want this to go on as long as it can.

Why would they? ISIS are no real threat to Israel, in fact its existence offers many strategic advantages to them. ISIS and the Syrian Civil War keeps Hezbollah and Iran very busy and ties up their resources, causes further threats to the unity of Palestinian leadership particular in the diaspora, takes attention away from the day to day occupation and allows the Israeli PR machine to compare Hamas to ISIS.

There is a reason why Israel aids the FSA (and probably al-Nusra), much to the consternation of Druze in the IDF at aid given to the persecutors of their co-religionists across the border, they want this to go on as long as it can.
Israel aids the FSA?

I'm furious about this - absolutely fuming!

the problem appears to be her choice of group to affiliate with while she was doing whatever she was doing (m'lud) - YPG, and many others, are not listed as a terrorist group and no prosecutions have started against people affiliating with them, but PKK definitly is on the terrorist group list, and not near the bottom.

not everyone who is the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

EMERGENCY PICKET OUTSIDE HOLLOWAY WOMEN'S PRISON IN LONDON! Tonight, 6pm. Free Shilan Ozcelik NOW!!!!

Mr Campbell claimed the prosecution “clearly seems to be linked” to the news last week that former Royal Marine Konstandinos Erik Scurfield, from Barnsley, South Yorkshire, was the first Briton to have been killed fighting against Isis in Syria.

“It’s a political thing from the British Government because they are concerned that more British people are expressing support for the Kurds’ fight against Isis, because they don’t want to upset their [fellow] Nato member Turkey,” Mr Campbell said. “That is absolutely disgraceful and disgusting.”

Even if the allegation is true, “her only motivation was to fight Isis”, he added. “What jury is going to convict somebody who has expressed a desire to defeat this modern day fascism?”

While hundreds of Britons are thought to have joined Isis, a growing number are joining the fight against them – mainly within the ranks of Kurdish militia. Up to 50 Britons may have gone to Syria to fight against Isis and President Assad’s regime, according to Dr Afzal Ashraf, a counter-terrorism expert at the Royal United Services Institute.

I am absolutely livid about this.

My elderly mum (and half-arsed Stalinist in her youth), who is not usually that vocal on stuff these days being preoccupied with illness was feeling the same when we spoke about it, froggy. Same with the media crap about their fallen comrade Scurfield. I like it when my mum swears.

Does anyone have a copy of the met statement from earlier this month which seemed to suggest she was charged with preparing to carry out a terrorist attack (multiple sources with exact same wording suggests this was taken straight from the OB) rather than the reality:

"Engaging in conduct in preparation for giving effect to an intention to commit acts of terrorism contrary to section 5 (1) (a) of the Terrorism Act 2006.”

the conduct being trying to join the PKK (and if i hear one more the PKK took my baby away joke today...). Here's the relevant law - i'd like to see just how the police span their PR back then to try and create a guilty verdict before any trial - and i'm sure Silhan's defence team would too.

edit:Here she is being excellently angry

This is a letter I have drafted to send to my MP. Can anyone think of anything else I should say?

Dear Kerry

You will no doubt be aware of the prosecution of Silhan Ozcelik, 18, from London, who is accused of travelling to Brussels in October last year in a bid to join the guerrilla army in the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) in the fight against ISIS. As you know this organisation is on the Government’s list of banned terror groups.

Ms Ozcelik is charged with: “Engaging in conduct in preparation for giving effect to an intention to commit acts of terrorism contrary to section 5 (1) (a) of the Terrorism Act 2006” and is currently remanded in Holloway Prison, North London, pending her trial in April.

I feel that this trial is politically motivated and an attempt to discourage other British citizens from joining the fight against ISIS, possibly as a result of a pressure from Turkey who are a NATO ally and who have repressed the Kurdish minority in Turkey for many years.

I am disgusted that a young girl whose only motive is to fight for justice and democracy is being treated in this way by the British Government. I urge you to do everything in your power to put pressure on the Home Secretary Theresa May to immediately release Silhan and review the charges brought.

Yours sincerely

This is a letter I have drafted to send to my MP. Can anyone think of anything else I should say?

Dear Kerry

You will no doubt be aware of the prosecution of Silhan Ozcelik, 18, from London, who is accused of travelling to Brussels in October last year in a bid to join the guerrilla army in the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) in the fight against ISIS. As you know this organisation is on the Government’s list of banned terror groups.

Ms Ozcelik is charged with: “Engaging in conduct in preparation for giving effect to an intention to commit acts of terrorism contrary to section 5 (1) (a) of the Terrorism Act 2006” and is currently remanded in Holloway Prison, North London, pending her trial in April.

I feel that this trial is politically motivated and an attempt to discourage other British citizens from joining the fight against ISIS, possibly as a result of a pressure from Turkey who are a NATO ally and who have repressed the Kurdish minority in Turkey for many years.

I am disgusted that a young girl whose only motive is to fight for justice and democracy is being treated in this way by the British Government. I urge you to do everything in your power to put pressure on the Home Secretary Theresa May to immediately release Silhan and review the charges brought.

Yours sincerely
wouldn't this be more the remit of the justice secretary?

Back
Top Bottom