Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

Phil how's the googling going for muslim child Janissaries; if they existed at all, what proportion of all Janissaries did they make up?

We've done this once, but since you are so insistent...

At first the Janissaries were all converts. During this period, the system worked extraordinarily well. From the sixteenth century onwards, Muslims were also recruited, in gradually increasing numbers. From that point on the effectiveness of the system began to break down.

And so we see that the Janissary system was based on conversion. It does not work with non-converts.

Now, you ask how this applies to ISIS, who are recruiting mainly Muslim children. The answer is that they are converting these children to Wahhabism, which is a supercessionist creed. As such it stands in relation to mainstream Sunni Islam as mainstream Sunni Islam stands to Christianity (in the opinion of ISIS natch).

Is this clear now?

I would also say that the way ISIS portrays itself through the media almost seeming to do certain things (john cantlie dressed in an orange jumpsuit and talking about how people are starting to lose their heads) for trolling purposes, designed to appeal to the demogrphic of people who play call of duty and hang out on 4chan, is itself a post modern phenomenon.

On a conscious level I'd have put it more down to a general deliberate "media-savvyness", but I see where you're going with that.

In ISIS-land. That's where the Jordanian pilot was captured.
yes. but that's the AIR FORCE, who fly planes, and not the ARMY who drive tanks and that.

the jordanians have a very clear policy of not sending their troops - their ARMY - into syria/whatever you want to call it.

do you know the difference between the ARMY and the AIR FORCE?

so what you were saying was another dwyerjug fact.

Yes, They've released a statement claiming to have sent 4000 killers under the guise of refugees into western states.

It's no idle boast I fear. Turkish police have been picking them up for months.

We really, really need to get out of the middle east fast, before the war comes home.

Does anyone seriously think that if "the West" were to "get out" of the Middle East (and what are we talking about here? Military presence or something more?) that Daesh would meekly up sticks and go home?

Does anyone seriously think that if "the West" were to "get out" of the Middle East (and what are we talking about here? Military presence or something more?) that Daesh would meekly up sticks and go home?
drop a crack corps of pub landlords into the daesh areas of the m.e. and get them to bellow in unison 'haven't you got homes to go to?' :p

No, but they wouldn't attack us.

I've already given the example of Spain. Following the Madrid train bombing they brought their troops home. They haven't had a problem since.

No, but they wouldn't attack us.

I've already given the example of Spain. Following the Madrid train bombing they brought their troops home. They haven't had a problem since.

Frankly that strikes me as naive. Especially since Daesh have admitted to having global ambitions.

Those guys in Ceuta - just doing a "dry run" to keep their hand in, do you think?

That's quite simply bullshit about spain. There has been at least one major terrorist plot foiled since the madrid bombings. And in addition several isis fighters have come from spain to fight for isis in the middle east. Ive not got the time or patience to deal with these arguments tbh.

There is a humanitarian justification, since these salaries help people survive the winter, but Iraq also claims that it needs to show it has not forsaken its civil servants. But this argument falls flat, considering that Kurdish employees have gone without pay for a year because of oil disputes that for a time led Baghdad to freeze funding to the Kurdistan Regional Government.

Have just finished, his analysis in the second part of the article is quite right wing and imo totally wrong.

On a conscious level I'd have put it more down to a general deliberate "media-savvyness", but I see where you're going with that.

Well given that ISIS are deliberately targeting and contacting players of these games either directly or through propaganda, and that much of its output has that sort of nudge nudge ttpe 'humour', and given that many of these people have shown that they for example dont have many morals holding them back in their pursuit of 'ethics in games journalism' it wouldn't surprise me if ISIS were trying to at least sometimes, consciously appeal to their sense of humour

Losing their heads :lolz'

I saw on that mosul video with cantlie it was actually commented by someone what a top class bit of trolling it was by ISIS.

'Ontological comfort lies in conformity' is an ace phrase that I intend to drop into conversation during tea.

Cantlie's arch asides sound like him, rather than them - I wouldn't read too much into the specifics of his commentary other than Cantlie keeping himself sane with the odd reminder of his old sarcy self.

'Ontological comfort lies in conformity' is an ace phrase that I intend to drop into conversation during tea.

Cantlie's arch asides sound like him, rather than them - I wouldn't read too much into the specifics of his commentary other than Cantlie keeping himself sane with the odd reminder of his old sarcy self.

Maybe. I hope so.

Back
Top Bottom