Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

i think in many ways ISIS is a product of postmodernity tho and cant really be compared exactly to anything before.

Its publicity is definitely unlike anything that came before - they clearly have a few disaffected media studies graduates within their ranks. I don't think "Captured Jordanian Pilot Burned Alive" would have been front page news, or even made it into the news, in the days when video of it couldn't be seen around the world immediately after it was released.

Frankly that strikes me as naive. Especially since Daesh have admitted to having global ambitions.

Those guys in Ceuta - just doing a "dry run" to keep their hand in, do you think?

I'm not at all sure who they were. I do know that no atrocity was successfully perpetrated.

It seems pretty obvious to me that attacking and occupying foreign lands invites retaliation. That's a good reason not to do it.

I'm not at all sure who they were. I do know that no atrocity was successfully perpetrated.

It seems pretty obvious to me that attacking and occupying foreign lands invites retaliation. That's a good reason not to do it.

Not quite 'no trouble since' then.

Yes, no trouble since. No casaulties, no collateral damage.

They had a major terrorist attack in which hundreds of people died, they have foiled a few plots afterwards, given that isis fighters and other jihadis have come from spain i suspect a more prosaic explanation is that following 11th of March 2004 they ramped up their security measures

They had a major terrorist attack in which hundreds of people died, they have foiled a few plots afterwards, given that isis fighters and other jihadis have come from spain i suspect a more prosaic explanation is that following 11th of March 2004 they ramped up their security measures

And I suspect that people are most likely to attack those who are attacking them.

I'm not suggesting that pulling out of the ME would make us immune to attack. It's a bit late for that. But it would reduce the probability of our being attacked, which is a good thing.

and of course al qaeda peaked too early

Profits from oil more like.

There are plenty of places we can buy oil. Even our enemies will sell us their oil, what else are they going to do with it? So it's not a question of possibly being deprived of oil, it's a question of possibly not being able to buy oil on terms which enrich the oil companies.

Im quite capable of getting angry at antisemitism without wanting to join the idf and shoot palestinian kids in the head for chucking stones. To be capable of such an act goes beyond 'radicalisation'
yeh. but if not only do they invade you but they send dwyer - i don't know what you'd do, but i'm sure it would persuade even the most pacifick muslim to take up arms.

Back
Top Bottom