Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

strange that a) you name the president and vice-president of the us - no other leaders?

Other leaders too. Blair is no better. But Cheney is the most outspoken:

"Cheney said sticking pureed hummus, pasta and nuts up a detainee’s anus was “done for medical reasons,” and he said, repeatedly, that “waterboarding is not torture.”"

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...how-low-can/yW2n4lv7C8A6bc5W54frBK/story.html

b) that the us still managed to capture a shedload of people who didn't end up dead - they certainly didn't kill the majority of the people they captured.

The leaders of the USA/uk publicly shat all over the Geneva Convention when they invaded Afghanistan and Iraq. They said, in so many words: "that doesn't apply to us." Once you tear up the rulebook anything goes. And they tore it up.

"Cheney said sticking pureed hummus, pasta and nuts up a detainee’s anus was “done for medical reasons,” and he said, repeatedly, that “waterboarding is not torture.”"

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...how-low-can/yW2n4lv7C8A6bc5W54frBK/story.html

The leaders of the USA/uk publicly shat all over the Geneva Convention when they invaded Afghanistan and Iraq. They said, in so many words: "that doesn't apply to us." Once you tear up the rulebook anything goes. And they tore it up.

Isis (al qaeda in iraq) has existed since 1999

"Cheney said sticking pureed hummus, pasta and nuts up a detainee’s anus was “done for medical reasons,” and he said, repeatedly, that “waterboarding is not torture.”'

you seem now to be saying something different to what you were saying before - at first you seemed to be saying that 'we' shouldn't be fighting wars because they're nasty horrible things. now you seem to be saying 'we' shouldn't be fighting wars because 'we' made them nasty horrible things. incidentally, you know you're talking shit because if you were telling the truth then the fate of the former iraqi army upon the conclusion of 'major operations' in 2003 would have been very different.

you seem now to be saying something different to what you were saying before - at first you seemed to be saying that 'we' shouldn't be fighting wars because they're nasty horrible things. now you seem to be saying 'we' shouldn't be fighting wars because 'we' made them nasty horrible things. incidentally, you know you're talking shit because if you were telling the truth then the fate of the former iraqi army upon the conclusion of 'major operations' in 2003 would have been very different.

I remember thinking, right at the beginning of all this back in 2001, that Bush and Cheney's nonchalance about killing civilians and torturing prisoners would come back to haunt the West in extremely horrible forms. Nobody had ever spoken of warfare in such a manner before.

i don't think the geneva convention has ever applied to civil wars.

if you know different i am sure you'll give us chapter and verse.

I remember thinking, right at the beginning of all this back in 2001, that Bush and Cheney's nonchalance about killing civilians and torturing prisoners would come back to haunt the West in extremely horrible forms. Nobody had ever spoken of warfare in such a manner before.

Lots and lots of people throughout history have behaved in similar ways as Cheney's mob did, and even cited how superior their ethics were whilst doing so.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I'm saying what I'm saying, nothing else.

ISIS has existed since 1999 in one form or another, al qaeda, the group which ISIS split from, has existed since the 70s

Jihadi John and many of the ISIS fighters had no personal experience of these acts, this is not to say that salafism, like the far right in this country, is not fuelled by legitimate grievances but you have to be having a laugh if you think that western fp alone caused an english bloke to leave england and be filmed thousands of miles away cutting off heads and murdering people in barbaric ways.

Pickman's, this is common knowledge. Why don't you educate yourself a bit before trying to participate in these conversations?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/16/world/meast/icrc-geneva-conventions-syria/
and iraq? when was iraq declared a civil war? is isis in fact involved in a civil war or are they fighting a different sort of war altogether? questions not answered by your link, which instead is a bit of a mixed bag. on the one hand you have to be a state to sign up to the conventions, on the other hand the red cross can say the gc apply: which is a bit meaningless - i don't suppose there'll be any great war crimes trials after the great conflict's over.

...I take the point about "blowback" and moral relativisim......hell, we can go back to the Dresden fire bombings if we want...

...if it was Cheney they were actually torching then I would take it even more though...

Back
Top Bottom