Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

FFS Coley, you haven't even glanced at the link. That you should be ashamed of.

The respondents to each question are divided into Turks and Kurds. The figures I gave were taken from Kurds only. And so you now look silly.

"The poll was taken among Kurds only."

^^your first reply,Do make your mind up.

"The poll was taken among Kurds only."

^^your first reply,Do make your mind up.

The poll to which I referred was taken among Kurds only.

It indicates that the majority of Turkish Kurds wish to remain a part of Turkey. In fact their grievance is precisely that they have been denied their full rights as Turkish citizens.

Personally I think they should be allowed to determine their own destiny. You apparently disagree. Why do you think you know better than the Kurds what is good for them? Could it be that you have unconsciously imbibed the racist attitudes and values of imperialism? Could it be that you imbibed them while serving as an armed agent of British imperialism in Northern Ireland?

I think we should be told.

It indicates that the majority of Turkish Kurds wish to remain a part of Turkey. In fact their grievance is precisely that they have been denied their full rights as Turkish citizens.

Personally I think they should be allowed to determine their own destiny. You apparently disagree. Why do you think you know better than the Kurds what is good for them? Could it be that you have unconsciously imbibed the racist attitudes and values of imperialism? Could it be that you imbibed them while serving as an armed agent of British imperialism in Northern Ireland?

I think you have been imbibing the string stuff.

Rubbish, it comes across as a very selective poll in which a maximum of 5000 Kurds took part,
But you think "they should be allowed to choose their own destiny" where do I disagree?
One other point, anyone who defends the Turkish states treatment of the Kurds needs to think very carefully before accusing anyone of racism.

Timely look at ISIS expansion plans In Sinai and Libya (and few other places).

The Islamic State’s model

There is one key difference between al-Qaeda’s and the Islamic State’s model for expansion. Al-Qaeda wanted to use its new franchises in service of its main priority: attacking Western countries to force them to stop supporting “apostate” Arab regimes, which without the support of Western countries would then be ripe for the taking. This has only truly worked out with its Yemeni branch, al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP). On the other hand, while the Islamic State does not have an issue with its supporters or grassroots activists attacking Western countries, its main priority is building out its caliphate, which is evident in its famous slogan baqiya wa tatamaddad (remaining and expanding). As a result, it has had a relatively clear agenda and model: fighting locally, instituting limited governance and conducting outreach. This differs from al-Qaeda’s more muddled approach – it hoped a local franchise would conduct external operations, but many times franchises would instead focus on local battles or attempts at governance without a clear plan, as bin Laden had warned.

bLzJzsl.jpg

Kobane

The one from last week, although someone said there was another one today. I haven't seen any confirmation of that though.

Edit - this is the one killed last week

Hujam Surchi

Last edited:
As far as I can tell they have absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever. :(

But never forget where they learned their attitude to warfare.

I well remember at the very beginning of all this, during the bombing of Tora Bora, someone pointed out to Dick Cheney that there were many women and children in the area. His completely unabashed, totally shameless reply was (words to the effect of) "I don't give a shit."

He and Bush reacted in exactly the same way when they were criticized for allowing prisoners to be tortured. They openly boasted that they didn't give a shit. They publicly announced, repeatedly, that the rules of warfare did not apply to them.

When you begin with that attitude, you lose the moral right to complain if your enemy reacts by behaving in a similar fashion.

What? I am more than well enough aware of the Americans - and our leader's attitude and I hope you are not suggesting that I might have some of the same attitude, really I am. :)

What? I am more than well enough aware of the Americans - and our leader's attitude and I hope you are not suggesting that I might have some of the same attitude, really I am. :)

Not at all, I didn't mean to impugn your own views, it was just that your post called to mind the Western media's rat-like hypocrisy over this issue.

Even liberated, Kobani is still going to be a target for suicide attacks for years to come as punishment for defiance. I can understand some reluctance to return amongst former residents on this basis. Hope they all do OK though.

Matt Cetti-Roberts from the 'war is boring' blog has been out & about in Iraq & Syria - I'm not a particular fan of his gonzo Vice style, but there's a couple of interesting bits about the current Peshmerga operation round Mosul -

“The Mosul liberation is not the job of Kurds,” he said. “That being said, ISIS thinks the Kurds are more dangerous than the central government—who are nowhere to be found.”

So why the push toward Mosul?

“We have to protect our Kurdish governate and stop ISIS from approaching,” he answered. “On top of that we have two million refugees to protect against a force that attacks the whole of Iraq.”

Cut them off, stop them reinforcing efforts in Syria, & wait to see if the Iraqi government & NATO weigh in.

http://www.zeit.de/feature/islamic-state-is-caliphate

I dont think this has been posted yet. Its a very in depth look at ISIS finances.

Depressing article but I did love this...

The caliphate's unofficial anthem plays in the background: "We live a life in safety and peace / Our state is based on Islam / And although it conducts jihad against its enemies / It regulates people's affairs / With love and patience."

lol, I assume that it is missing something in translation

Everything pales in comparison to the (non-Billy Bragg) International or La Marseillaise

Round and round we go:

The sinjar massacre: yazidis take revenge against extremists’ collaborators

As extremists from the Islamic State group are slowly driven out of northern Iraq, members of one of the groups that suffered at their hands – the Yazidis – began to take revenge on locals they say collaborated with them. This week several villages were looted and burned with around 70 locals kidnapped or killed.

Earlier this week the people of Mosul and Iraqi Kurdistan woke to hear terrible stories about what was happening around 100 kilometres away from them in the villages of Sibaya and Al Jarua in the Sinjar area. An armed group made up of members from the ethno-religious Yazidi group and fighters from the Syria-based Kurdish Worker's Party, or PKK, had surrounded the two villages and they began to wreak “revenge” on the people inside them.

Better pay, better weapons: are shiite militias growing more powerful than iraqi army?

Recent reports suggest that the militias’ independence is allowing them to take matters into their own hands when it comes to areas they have taken back from the IS group. There have been plenty of stories about the meting out of justice to locals the militias suspected of collaborating with the IS group.

This week, Reuters reported on a particularly heinous incident in Diyala where an estimated 72 unarmed locals were executed by what locals describe as a combination of militia and army personnel.

Locals say the uniforms the attackers wore seemed to be a combination of both forces and that Hummer vehicles – which the militias don’t seem to have – were on the scene. While some witnesses say they saw soldiers crying over the massacre, others described fighters wearing “green headbands emblazoned with the name Hussein, a defining figure in Shiite history”

That's been around since november last - supposed to be kazakh kids. Wonder why released at this point.

Here's something that i could be a shakedown by afghan chancers,an inflation of a few idiots, chinese whispers or it could really mean something:

Afghan officials: Islamic State group operating in volatile southern Helmand province
IS fighters kill Taliban commander, warn TV viewers

PUL-I-ALAM (Pajhwok): The administrative chief for Charkh district in central Logar province on Monday said Islamic State (IS) militants had killed a Taliban commander and ordered residents to stop watching TV programmes.

Khalilullah Kamal told Pajhwok Afghan News the Taliban commander was killed in an early morning clash between the two groups in the main district bazaar.

Back
Top Bottom