Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The hideous Americanisation of the Olympics

editor

hiraethified
Is having ten second bursts of pop music blaring out at every pause in proceedings and whenever someone scores a point really in tune with the Olympic spirit?

It sounds shit at football and it sounds ever more crass at the Olympics.

Rant over.

grumpy+old+men.jpg

was annoyed to hear the yank swimming team bod accuse the chinese winner of being drug enhanced- why not just accept that the athlete was better on the day?

It's globalisation rather than Americanisation. There is such a thing as global culture; it is recognisable and it is deeply naff.

was annoyed to hear the yank swimming team bod accuse the chinese winner of being drug enhanced- why not just accept that the athlete was better on the day?

When she swims faster than the mens champion there is likely to be a whiff if suspicion. Plus the chinese swimmers have form.

but if the olympic testing bods have cleared her then it seems rather churlish- form or no.

I think doping is pretty sophisticated these days, and like they say: it takes one to know one. Some of the big national teams probably know all that it's possible to know about drug enhancement.

Twenty years ago I was watching crits in the UK and they had music blaring all the time. The crowd like it.

but if the olympic testing bods have cleared her then it seems rather churlish- form or no.

The chinese swimmers have a habit of popping up in Olympics and setting world records then disappearung iun between championships so they cant be tested.

Do they test her for drugs containing tiger penises or gorilla testicles though? :hmm:

You know what the Chinese are like with their medicines. Maybe they've found an undiscovered animal in the jungles of Papua New Guinea that have performance enhancing properties? :hmm:

Apparently she's been tested 4 times in the last year

That's not very often, really. Particularly if some of those tests were in-competition ones and/or if not all of those tests were for things like EPO.

That's not her fault, mind you. And it's a hell of a lot more often than a top tennis player or footballer is likely to have been tested.

hmm these are arguments I'm taking on board, I know nothing of sport- it just sounded like bad cess to me.

Will they have to test her again now the accusation has been made?

And she will probably win the freestyle tonight ... doubt they will test her again so soon though.

On BBC News they were saying it is quite possible for teenagers to develop like that.

The chinese swimmers have a habit of popping up in Olympics and setting world records then disappearung iun between championships so they cant be tested.
I was informed that all medal winners were tested at the olympics as routine.

And she will probably win the freestyle tonight ... doubt they will test her again so soon though.

On BBC News they were saying it is quite possible for teenagers to develop like that.

Yeah, there was some guy (don't know his name but I think he's Australian and has been doing a bit of commentating) and he said he did similar when he was young

"Le Clos' body answered the urgings" said Baldwin. Sounds like sorta thing JC3 would say! "Le Clos' breakfast utilised all the fixings"

:p

I dunno didn't they say the same about that Irish girl a few years back when she was smashing everyone up and she was on the special vitamins

Back
Top Bottom