Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

the grand 2015 reading challenge thread

how many books do you anticipate reading in 2015?

• Total voters
Going for between 11 & 20. Didn't read as many as I hoped this year but there were a few big books that took me a while to get through.

I read more than I expected to this year, so am going to go for about 25.

This will not include books I have to read for work, and I don't normally have time to read other non fiction for pleasure, so it will be mostly fiction.

I've had a kindle for the last few years which has really helped, and putting the app on my phone has helped even more as now I can read even while really squashed into the tube, while cooking, when I wake up for an hour at 4am and don't want to get up or disturb her.

The only thing I completed last year was a single short story in a short story collection, so I think that counts as another year of zero books read and a massive fail.

So this year I'm going to set myself the target of one book. But I plan to read it twice. Once in English, and then again in Spanish. Need something to aim for to get me back in language learning mode again and this seems like as good a way as any.

Not joined in before but I do like to read and read East of Eden late this year which really gave me a thirst for more reading though I haven't found anything else I fancy. Will do some research and get a few books in. There is a what are you reading now thread somewhere isn't there?

I'll aim for 1 a month as I'm fairly erratic with reading momentum but that sounds doable while requiring some effort.

Not joined in before but I do like to read and read East of Eden late this year which really gave me a thirst for more reading though I haven't found anything else I fancy. Will do some research and get a few books in. There is a what are you reading now thread somewhere isn't there?

I'll aim for 1 a month as I'm fairly erratic with reading momentum but that sounds doable while requiring some effort.
Try some more Steinbeck if you're stuck? I absolutely loved In Dubious Battle. Even more than East of Eden, which I'd just read before it.

Me: "Mum, do you want to join in this reading challenge? What target should I put you down for?"
My brother: "57!"
Mum: "No..."
Brother: "Oh come on, you could easily read that many!"
Mum: "No, I was going to say it was too few..."

We have different relationships with books, me and me mam :D Apparently 100 is more likely, but she isn't so keen on having to keep track :oops:

I'm gonna aim for one book a week. I'll have plenty of time for reading if I only manage to cut back on watching shit TV on the internet :hmm:

started strong last year then went on a re-read session and re-reads don't count for me. This year I'll estimate say 30 and as a personal vow- no fiction this year. Unless there's a secret Culture novel that Ian wrote before death (a man can dream)

Went for 35 last year and managed 44. Just got a 2nd reading chair set up away from the front room & telly so looking forward to reading without eastenders/Disney kids blaring in my ear :) Going for 45 this year.
Love this thread, always some inspiration for new authors to check and without it I'd never remember everything I've read and enjoyed.

In - in the hope it will encourage me to finish books, rather than half-reading a dozen at a time. Baby means a low-ball 'one a fortnight' estimate.

1. Rare Earth by Paul Mason - thought I had read it but must not have finished it before. It's great once the protagonist stops being a Mary Sue which is earlier than you expect

1. Leaving Berlin, Joseph Kanon. A bit of an antihero protagonist, in some ways, like many of his are. Decent, tense story about a Jewish German returning to Berlin during the airdrop to spy for the Americans- who, predictably, have promised him something they have no intention of delivering

Back
Top Bottom