Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

the grand 2015 reading challenge thread

how many books do you anticipate reading in 2015?

• Total voters
Fareed Zakaria - The Future of Freedom: Illiberal Democracy at Home and Abroad (1/50)

What we need is - apparently - less democracy and more old-fashioned benevolent elites. Hm.

I'm rereading the child thief. I want to figure out how he ramps it up so much with such spare prose. I want to write like that....

1. Mike Cronin - The failure of British fascism
2. Raymond E Feist - Rides a Dread legion
3. Robin Hobb - Dragon keeper
4. Terry Pratchet - Unseen Academicals
5. Campagna and Campiglio - What are we fighting for?
6. Dunleavy et al. - Voices of the people
7. Conan Doyle - A study in Scarlet
8. Stuart Bell - The conservative party and british politics
9. Robin Hobb - Dragon haven

10. William Morris - News from Nowehere
11. Philippa Gregory - The white Queen

It was enjoyable enough, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Horns.
I'd try that one first if you want to read some Joe Hill :)

1. Dan Simmons, The Rise of Endymion.
2. Kameron Hurley, The Mirror Empire
3. Helene Wecker, The Golem and the Djinni
4. GRR Martin & Gardner Dozois, Dangerous Women, Part 1.
5. End of the Road, ed Jonathan Oliver.
6. A Natural History of Dragons, a Memoir by Lady Trent, Marie Brennan
7. Discount Armageddon, Seanan McGuire

8. Queen Victoria's Book of Spells, ed Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling

Not sure I'm going to finish a book of short stories by Nathan Ballingrud.

Are you the one vote that has gone for the ton up?
I am impressed by eleven books in eight days.:thumbs:

So am I. I think I've had an early release from the SAD. I don't normally have this much energy this time of year. but i've learnt to take advantage of it while ti's there. so i don't feel so guilty being an idle fucker for ages. (that's my own neurosies, not a judgement on anyone else btw)

oh, and my vote was 'wibble'. see my first post in the thread. I'll either read an absolutely enormous number or stop reading complete books in february.

01 Nikola Mihov: Forget Your Past: Communist-Era Monuments in Bulgaria
02 Bohumil Hrabal: Closely Observed Trains
03 Joe R Lansdale: Mucho Mojo
04 Andrew Lanyon: Circular Walks Around Rowley Hall

1. Mike Cronin - The failure of British fascism
2. Raymond E Feist - Rides a Dread legion
3. Robin Hobb - Dragon keeper
4. Terry Pratchet - Unseen Academicals
5. Campagna and Campiglio - What are we fighting for?
6. Dunleavy et al. - Voices of the people
7. Conan Doyle - A study in Scarlet
8. Stuart Bell - The conservative party and british politics
9. Robin Hobb - Dragon haven
10. William Morris - News from Nowehere
11. Philippa Gregory - The white Queen
12. Phillipa gregory - The red queen

I haven't done the challenge before so I'm going to say 12 books. I've just finished my first book of the year: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. One the front cover it's described as 'willy wonka meets the matrix'. If you like computer games and 80s popular culture then this book will have a lot for you. I'm not really into computer games but it still had enough going on for me. I may have missed a few of the references tho! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One

1. Haruki Murakami - What I Talk about when I Talk about Running
I picked up another Murakami book on a trip to Japan last year and enjoyed it (After Dark) so when I saw this, having recently started running, it seemed a good choice. It's a very short book, quite meditative without being overly philosophical, and examines Murakami's relationship with running, writing, and to an extent, maturing.

I haven't done the challenge before so I'm going to say 12 books. I've just finished my first book of the year: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. One the front cover it's described as 'willy wonka meets the matrix'. If you like computer games and 80s popular culture then this book will have a lot for you. I'm not really into computer games but it still had enough going on for me. I may have missed a few of the references tho! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One
I read this last year (good old library) and was pleasantly suprised- not the gamer-centric jargonese and plot I was expecting but a proper Quest and an Adventure

1. "A Colder War" - Charles Cumming
2. "Sleepyhead" - Mark Billingham. Enjoyed it, a little slow in parts but I liked the story and character of Tom Thorne so I may read some more of the series

1. Dan Simmons, The Rise of Endymion.
2. Kameron Hurley, The Mirror Empire
3. Helene Wecker, The Golem and the Djinni
4. GRR Martin & Gardner Dozois eds, Dangerous Women, Part 1.
5. End of the Road, ed Jonathan Oliver.
6. A Natural History of Dragons, a Memoir by Lady Trent, Marie Brennan
7. Discount Armageddon, Seanan McGuire
8. Queen Victoria's Book of Spells, ed Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling

9. GRR Martin & Gardner Dozois eds, Dangerous Women, Part 3.
(Several really good stories in that one)
10. Midnight Blue-Light Special, Seanan McGuire

1/50 Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk
2/50 The Child Thief, Dan Smith

Amazing. The best book I have read for a long time and I think it will take a lot for it to be beaten as my best book of the year. Thanks so much Manter for recommending it.

I'm going to make a real effort this year! I used to get through books in one reading and read at least a novel a week! Then life intervened and I've been worn down gradually! Also my ability to concentrate has been completely shot due to PTSD symptoms.
But now I'm getting counselling and medical help I feel that I can read prolifically again! I'm in a book club at work so that'll be 12 books at least!! I also subscribe to audible so another 12. I've also just bought a massive book case so that all my books aren't just sitting around in random piles!

Back
Top Bottom