Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

the grand 2015 reading challenge thread

how many books do you anticipate reading in 2015?

• Total voters
I've got Ancillary Sword on .epub and .mobi if you want it. Really does deserve the high praise it has had. Leckie isn't my new fave sci fi author but she joins the pantheon

Sorry, I don't really do technology so those mean nothing to me. :oops:

Sorry, I don't really do technology so those mean nothing to me. :oops:
heh, i have the books on e-copy, but if you don't do e-readers then I cannot give you the sequel.

it is fucking great though, I'd be tempted to buy it as a physical printed copy for the cover art alone

svw3p4qfkwih4an3e6wr.jpg

its...its so pretty

theres apps for your phone or computer to enable e-reading. I say this as someone who once vowed never to abandon the physical book. I've not paid cover price for a book in nearly a decade now lol

Love love love that artwork. Reminds me off early Foss:

3-XXX_0154_Chris_Foss_Untitled.jpg

1/60 - JM Barrie - Peter Pan*
2/60 - Joe Hill - NOS4R2
3/60 - Arthur Ransome - Swallows and Amazons*
4/60 - Belinda Bauer - Rubbernecker
5/60 - Roddy Doyle - The Guts
6/60 - Phillipa Pearce - Tom's Midnight Garden*
7/60 - Mildred D Taylor - Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry*
8/60 - Denise Mina - Exile
9/60 - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Americanah

10/60 - Jon Ronson - Lost at Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries

]1. Leaving Berlin, Joseph Kanon.
2. The child thief, Dan Smith.
3. Foxglove summer, Ben Aaronovich.
4. The beating of his wings, Paul Hoffman.
5. The cheapside corpse, Susanna Gregory.
6. Il metodo del coccodrillo- Maurizio de Giovanni.
7. The sin-eater's daughter- Melinda Salisbury. Interesting premise- this girl is the executioner for the kingdom, she drinks poison but it doesn't kill her, just makes her poisonous to everyone she touches- but pretty average fantasy

1. Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy
2. The Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante. Sparse, despair shown without sentiment. Related to a lot of it.
3. Chop Chop by Simon Wroe. Funny, as sharp as the kitchen knives he works with. Racist Dave was my favourite character.

33. Kings Blades 5 Jaguar Knights
34. The Tropic of Serpents, Marie Brennan (sequel to A Natural History of Dragons, and equally excellent)
35. Half a King, Joe Abercrombie.

36. Best of British Fantasy 2013, ed Steve Haynes

1/31 - 23 Shades of Black - Ken Wishnia
2/31 - Richard Ayoade - Ayoade On Ayoade: a cinematic odyssey
3/31 - Iain Banks - The Quarry
4/31 - Raymond Chandler - The High Window
5/31 - Raymond Chandler - The Lady in the Lake

6/31 - Ric Rawlins - Rise of the Super Furry Animals

Light and entertaining

1. Kyme & Priestley, ed. - Tales Of Heresy
2. Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone - Out Of The Pit
3. Mike Lee - Fallen Angels
4. Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone - The Warlock Of Firetop Mountain
5. Stella Gibbons - Christmas At Cold Comfort Farm
6. Anne Lecki - Ancillary Justice
7. Rick Pristley - Slaves To Darkness
8. Shane McCarthy - All Hail Megatron
9. Luke Haines - Bad Vibes: Britpop And My Part In its Downfall
10. Shane McCarthy - All Hail Megatron V.2
11. Marc Gascoigne - The Trolltooth Wars
12. Ian Watson - Chaos Child
13. John French - Ahriman Sorcerer
14. Chiang Yee - The Silent Traveller In London
15. Graham McNeill - A Thousand Sons
16. Richard Saunders - If A Pirate I Must Be - The Story Of Bartholomew Roberts, King Of The Caribbean
17. Steve jackson - Citadel Of Chaos
18. Ian Livingstone - Forest Of Doom
19. Alan Grant & John Wagner - Doomlord: The Deathlords Of Nox
20. Andrew Ward - Football's Strangest Matches
21. Shane McCarthy - All Hail Megatron V.3
22. Aaron Dembski Bowden - The First Heretic
23. Ian Livingstone - City Of Thieves
24. Kent Greenfield - The Myth Of Choice
25. Dan Abnett - Prospero Burns

7. The sin-eater's daughter- Melinda Salisbury.
8. Half the world- Joe Abercrombie book 2 of the shattered sea trilogy. Really good- protagonists of book 1 all there, but as supporting cast. Completely new hero and heroine, well written, adventurous, have read it in a morning....

Unambitious. Anyone who can't read three 1000 page fantasy novels while at Glastonbury (say) shouldn't bother trying to beat toggle at this game.

I say this as someone who used to read really quickly, and now am going to Wood Green Library for the Ladybird section to catch up.

Speaking of ambition, I've changed my 2015 target from 20 to 50. Insomnia, the lack of anything good on TV, and the motivating factor of joining in with this thread seem to have conspired to give me much more reading time than expected :cool:

I'm not doing this reading challenge malarky - sometimes I'll get through 3 books in a week, sometimes one will last me a month. Depends very much on mood, work, and life in general.

But... I thought this would be the best place to make a recommendation: Rivers of London

I'm half way through, and finding it thoroughly entertaining. If the second half's shit, then I apologise in advance. :D

Gratifyingly, it's the first in a series - and I love (well written/plotted) series books. Reconnecting with known characters, and references to their backstories, is hugely satisfying when done well.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but if you've enjoyed stuff by Neil Gaiman, Susanna Clarke's debut Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, the early works of Michael Marshall Smith or similar 'fantasy realism' (or whatever genre these things fall into... :confused:) then you'll like it.

I'm not doing this reading challenge malarky - sometimes I'll get through 3 books in a week, sometimes one will last me a month. Depends very much on mood, work, and life in general.

If we treat 'sometimes' as 'roughly half of the time', that means roughly six months of one book a month, and roughly six of 12 books, equal to 78 books.

Show-off :p

But... I thought this would be the best place to make a recommendation: Rivers of London

I'm half way through, and finding it thoroughly entertaining. If the second half's shit, then I apologise in advance. :D

Gratifyingly, it's the first in a series - and I love (well written/plotted) series books. Reconnecting with known characters, and references to their backstories, is hugely satisfying when done well.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but if you've enjoyed stuff by Neil Gaiman, Susanna Clarke's debut Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, the early works of Michael Marshall Smith or similar 'fantasy realism' (or whatever genre these things fall into... :confused:) then you'll like it.

i'm not really7 challenging myself to a set number either. cause at some point, i'll get busy again (hopefully with phd) and not read any books for fun for months. realistically, i've read more fiction in the last month than since i started my undergrad degree 5 years ago. and studying means it's rare i actually read a complete book. I reckon out of the 350-400 books i went through bits of for my masters, i fully read maybee 10% of those, so more complete books in the last month than in the last 2 years. serious studying can be a very frustrating expereince for the dedicated reader. hence the current binge before i start another long drought of actual proper book reading. 9or drowning in the literary equivalent of bilgewater - plot - the 10 year old is so angelic, we can be so certain she's going to heaven that it'[s ok that nshe died in poverty and filth cause really angelic was the really good thing. - fuck off. and hard work is the only key to happyness and always works - fuck off) and my challenge to myself is keeping track of this. and the fun bit of chat and recomendations.

1/27 The Universe in a Single Atom -- The Dalai Lama
2/27 The Last President -- John Barnes
3/27 Walden -- Henry David Thoreau
4/27 Walden on Wheels -- Ken Ilgunas
5/27 Walk to the End of the Word -- Suzy Charnas
6/27 Leading the Way: Asian American Artists of the Older Generation -- Paul Karstrom, et al.

7/27 Vacant - Alex Hughes
8/27 Earthbound - Joe Haldeman

I like those books.

1/51 - The Flemish House by Georges Simenon
2/15 - In a Lonely Place by Dorothy B. Hughes
3/51 - The Inheritance of Rome: A History of Europe from 400 to 1000 by Chris Wickham
4/51 - Strange Fruit: Why Both Sides are Wrong in the Race Debate by Kenan Malik
5/51 - The Pursued by C.S. Forester

If you like that kind of stuff, what else would you recommend? I've read Peter Brett, brent weeks and patrick rothfuss recently too and enjoyed them.
have you read his first books, the blade itself etc?

also, if you haven't read them, you might enjoy fritz leiber's swords series, swords against deviltry etc.

If we treat 'sometimes' as 'roughly half of the time', that means roughly six months of one book a month, and roughly six of 12 books, equal to 78 books.

Show-off :p
Sadly not :(

When on holiday, I spend a vast amount of time reading and can get through ~10 books in a couple of weeks - including thick epics such as Alistair Reynolds, Greg Bear etc (Thank you kindle, you've saved me huge amounts of 'excess luggage' :D)

When back in the real world, I spend the evening watching Gotham or lightweight entertaining crap like Psych before reading a couple of pages in bed, and then start snoring. I've been known to wake up with my kindle balanced on my nose. :D

1/30 - I know why the caged bird sings - Maya Angelou
2/30 - Unknown pleasures - Peter Hook
3/30 - The Free - Willy Vlautin
4/30 - Under the Skin - Michael Faber

7. The sin-eater's daughter- Melinda Salisbury.
8. Half the world- Joe Abercrombie
9. Tatiana- Martin cruz Smith An arkady renko novel.... Which have been a bit meh recently but he's back in his stride. Oligarchs, mafia, oil, amber, street kids, chess prodigies, dead journalists...... It has everything you'd expect

Back
Top Bottom