Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Nah its been there decades. compared to a random stick I guess it will do for now tho while some dries?
It might rot if you stick it in the ground fresh. Do you know what variety of peas you planted? Some never grow very tall and they all generally prefer smaller stuff to cling to rather than twining round canes the way runner beans do. Random sticks is the traditional way to grow them :thumbs:

E2a official RHS advice from sixty years ago -
Photo of half the page of a book, showing two black and white photos of a man in old fashioned clothing placing peas sticks in the ground for peas plants to use as support

Last edited:
Thats a very good question, along with what can I get in the ground this week lol, have 8000 seeds ready to go and need to do a lot of shovelling. I have no expectations that helps, wondernig what happened to some of the corn and tomatoes now. Plus the Chard, labels washed off.

I lose impetus about this time every season. No idea what to plant in gaps. Less desire or energy to keep it all together.

I both dread and welcome the drudgery/joy of making endless chutney/tomato sauce/ketchup/cucumber pickles.
Winter radish? Daikon/Mooli are very growable now and stand until the first frost. Black Spanish is fully frost hardy.

Given the unexpected progress I have made with my house, I'm so glad that I managed to get some seeds sown and then things planted back in the spring...
That monster Joe Pye back left is being kept pumped-up by a dedicated water supply from my bath.
This absolutely has to be the last year.
Early next year I may find it worth paying someone to paint the front of the house and I will certainly have to take down the netting - I'm trying not to dwell on it, but I'm hoping to have sold it by this time next year - unless it turns out I have to rent it out for 12 months...

frontlateaugust.jpg

20230821_144722.jpg
20230821_144616.jpg

20230821_144446.jpg
20230821_144805.jpg

20230821_144543.jpg

Really thought about latish colour this year and it's worked.

Sowing Cosmos seeds indoors was a success and they've filled in all the gaps, but only one has flowered...the bright pink one. All the others have stems like small trunks and amazing foliage about 2/3 foot high...but no blooms.

Bloody Monty Don said 'nip off the top to make them bushy '. There's not even a sign of a bud. But they're very bushy. Hoping they're just going to knock my socks off in September.

My new mower has arrived and I'm feeling very old about how pleased I was the battery for it came on the same day. I've dropped everything to construct a mower. Lol.

My courgette / zucchini problem is nearly over ...
Along with the tomatoes, sweet peas and flowering tobacco...
It's the latter I'm most sad about - the bag garden tub is riddled with it and it's starting to show in the front garden :(
Last year they did amazingly well so long as I kept up with the watering.
I hope when I next grow nicotiana alata it will be a place where downy mildew isn't a problem...

Attachments

• mildewycucurbits.jpg
    mildewycucurbits.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 2
  • midewypeas.jpg
    midewypeas.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 3
  • blight.jpg
    blight.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 3
  • downymildew.jpg
    downymildew.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 3
Errr I forgot to label some stuff, if I take some pictures can people give me a hint and what to do. I have a list of potentials lol. Weirdly (?) the heritage corn appears to be doing well, assuming thats what it is.

Back
Top Bottom