Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Looking good!

I'd take off any leaves that're showing signs of blight plus any others on the lower half of the stems too now, to get them to direct all their energy into finishing off the fruits that have set.
My tomatoes outside succumbed to blight a couple of weeks ago but the plants in the mini-greenhouse appeared to be unscathed until this morning. :( I've cut off two or three leaves which are showing signs of blight so I'm hopeful they'll be OK for a while longer.

Trying to decide if it’s worth shelling out for a green waste bin, £55 for 25 fortnightly collections of a 240L bin.

I have a small rear and front garden (both about 5x10 metres), a fair amount of the area is grass which needs cutting for half the year, and some hedges that I will need to trim so I could easily fill it up most times round.

The alternative is to drive to the tip which is a couple of miles away, doesn’t require booking and never has a queue to get in, and I tend to do my supermarket shopping close to it anyway, so I tend to combine the two tasks.

think on balance I can’t justify the cost at this point

Trying to decide if it’s worth shelling out for a green waste bin, £55 for 25 fortnightly collections of a 240L bin.

I have a small rear and front garden (both about 5x10 metres), a fair amount of the area is grass which needs cutting for half the year, and some hedges that I will need to trim so I could easily fill it up most times round.

The alternative is to drive to the tip which is a couple of miles away, doesn’t require booking and never has a queue to get in, and I tend to do my supermarket shopping close to it anyway, so I tend to combine the two tasks.

think on balance I can’t justify the cost at this point
My garden is probably around four five times larger than yours. I do have a garden waste bin. However I try to compost a lot of stuff in my garden rather than use the green waste bin. I still use the garden waste bin for stuff that won't compost easily (prunings from large shrubs/small trees, ivy, bindweed, diseased trimmings, etc.) but I find my usage is variable over the course of a year. Sometimes I have too much for the bin but more often than not, I don't have enough to fill it.

I could take the garden waste to the recycling centre as I have a car but it's often very busy and closes on and off throughout the day to replace or reorganise the recycling containers so I decided to continue with the green waste bin to avoid the hassle.

I suspect, if you have space for some kind of home composting system you wouldn't need a green waste bin and would only need to visit the recycling centre occasionally for the excess or hard to compost stuff.

My tomatoes outside succumbed to blight a couple of weeks ago but the plants in the mini-greenhouse appeared to be unscathed until this morning. :( I've cut off two or three leaves which are showing signs of blight so I'm hopeful they'll be OK for a while longer.
Last few years I was growing outdoors in a microclimate where I'd already have blight before the first blightwatch email even went out, so I only grew varieties I knew wouldn't be badly affected. It's made me really complacent and this year I've lost some fruits because I didn't bother cutting a few leaves off and it spread :oops: Not the end of the world though, I've been jealously guarding my ripe tomatoes from people who want to make chutney and now I can rip out a couple of plants and let them make green tomato chutney with what was left on those.

My garden is probably around four five times larger than yours. I do have a garden waste bin. However I try to compost a lot of stuff in my garden rather than use the green waste bin. I still use the garden waste bin for stuff that won't compost easily (prunings from large shrubs/small trees, ivy, bindweed, diseased trimmings, etc.) but I find my usage is variable over the course of a year. Sometimes I have too much for the bin but more often than not, I don't have enough to fill it.

I could take the garden waste to the recycling centre as I have a car but it's often very busy and closes on and off throughout the day to replace or reorganise the recycling containers so I decided to continue with the green waste bin to avoid the hassle.

I suspect, if you have space for some kind of home composting system you wouldn't need a green waste bin and would only need to visit the recycling centre occasionally for the excess or hard to compost stuff.
Thanks. I reckon I’ll leave it for now.

Interesting, I probably have space for a home composting system, I’ll have to look into it a bit more.

Thanks. I reckon I’ll leave it for now.

Interesting, I probably have space for a home composting system, I’ll have to look into it a bit more.
I think I might have made it more elaborate than it is by saying composting system. What I should have said is that there's different ways of composting from just piling it up in a corner to various types of container.

You may even be able to get a discounted compost bin of some sort from your local council. Here in Surrey they offer discounted bins.

Here's the Surrey website which explains different techniques and what they offer at a discounted price.

Have a look at your local council's website for something similar.

Compost is usually my answer for everything but grass clippings aren't especially good for compost tbh, you need to mix them in well with other stuff (ideally stuff high in carbon like dead leaves or even shredded paper - think I remember Elpenor mentioning having a shredder?) or they tend to just mat together into a soggy, smelly, yellow mess.

On the subject of compost, I know most people here won't have the time or space or enough waste for this - you need about a cubic metre or slightly more to build it in one go, then it needs turning every 48 hours or less - but I've been super impressed with the Berkeley method since trying it out recently. Even my first, very half-arsed :oops: attempt is doing well and I'm about to hire a shredder (really need to buy one but I have plans to diy one out of a brushcutter and plastic barrel for now...) to start a second heap. Thinking I might stick it in one end of the polytunnel to act as a kind of low tech radiator.

Compost is usually my answer for everything but grass clippings aren't especially good for compost tbh, you need to mix them in well with other stuff (ideally stuff high in carbon like dead leaves or even shredded paper - think I remember Elpenor mentioning having a shredder?) or they tend to just mat together into a soggy, smelly, yellow mess.

On the subject of compost, I know most people here won't have the time or space or enough waste for this - you need about a cubic metre or slightly more to build it in one go, then it needs turning every 48 hours or less - but I've been super impressed with the Berkeley method since trying it out recently. Even my first, very half-arsed :oops: attempt is doing well and I'm about to hire a shredder (really need to buy one but I have plans to diy one out of a brushcutter and plastic barrel for now...) to start a second heap. Thinking I might stick it in one end of the polytunnel to act as a kind of low tech radiator.
Thanks, I’m not sure a compost bin is the right call then, the place where it would go isn’t ideal and I need to do some work in they spot anyway.

Am very excited as tomorrow I am going to plant some bulbs for the first time ever.

The back garden is basically a jungle, but it's a lot better than nothing.
Unfortunately it's now the backdrop to an increasingly large amount of building waste waiting till next year when I will have to get a skip...
The tomatoes were hit by blight before I harvested a single tomato and the courgettes are succumbing to mildew - as are the sweet peas ...
The nasturtiums finally decided to make flowers ...

The front garden is popular with passers-by - quite likely because of the "Marvel of Peru" - self-sown seedlings I planted out and which I doubted would survive the transplanting - but have done amazingly well and are very fragrant in the evening...

backnow2.jpg

phototaken.png

Attachments

• mppinkyellow.jpg
    mppinkyellow.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 4
  • mpwhite.jpg
    mpwhite.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Council water butt finally delivered, now I need to work out how to install it and extend it massively over multiple more
Diverter kit off the drainpipe (probably obvious but where I live now there's just cut off down pipes wedged into a hole hacked in the water butt lid with no overflow :facepalm:), you can buy connector kits to link multiple butts together. Make sure the surface you're standing it (plus any more you plan to get in future) on is properly flat and solid, and that there's enough space underneath to fill whatever watering cans you have without catching them on the tap.

Diverter kit off the drainpipe (probably obvious but where I live now there's just cut off down pipes wedged into a hole hacked in the water butt lid with no overflow :facepalm:), you can buy connector kits to link multiple butts together. Make sure the surface you're standing it (plus any more you plan to get in future) on is properly flat and solid, and that there's enough space underneath to fill whatever watering cans you have without catching them on the tap.
Nothing obvious I know shit all about this so it's YouTube and other tutorials lol. I have a 20ft x 6 ft concrete surface for water storage. Want to do drip feeds and all kinds but not had the time to check lol. Think thus year is going as experiment and setup mainly. My chives even look like grass? Lol. Not the fun kind.

We don't even have outside taps so this is a huge bonus for not carrying watering cans about.

I have no downpipe, it’s on the neighbours side of the fence. They don’t have a water butt however not sure they’ll be keen on me adding a diverter to my side of the fence. Suggesting it would probably mean they just fit their own water butt

I have no downpipe, it’s on the neighbours side of the fence. They don’t have a water butt however not sure they’ll be keen on me adding a diverter to my side of the fence. Suggesting it would probably mean they just fit their own water butt
Mine took 6 months to arrive lol.

Nothing obvious I know shit all about this so it's YouTube and other tutorials lol. I have a 20ft x 6 ft concrete surface for water storage. Want to do drip feeds and all kinds but not had the time to check lol. Think thus year is going as experiment and setup mainly. My chives even look like grass? Lol. Not the fun kind.

We don't even have outside taps so this is a huge bonus for not carrying watering cans about.
If you want to store loads of water and have the space then might be worth looking at IBCs or something rather than the domestic water butts, at some point.

Drip line will need a certain water pressure to work properly- how much depends on the specific product and how many runs of what length, best check with the supplier - which for larger areas may mean you'd need a pump if you aren't able to create enough pressure through just elevation.

Need to get this stuff sorted here but it's going be a big job, with site access issues and basically no budget, so just kind of putting it off at the moment...

E2a ideally you'll site them in the shade but especially if that's not possible, stored water can heat up a lot in summer. It's not a massive risk you need to think too much about if you're only growing for yourself but still good to be aware of stuff like legionella and other nasties that can build up. And make sure the butt is well secured if you have, say, kids or pets who might knock into it. They're really heavy when full, so it'll take a bit of force to dislodge one but it could cause quite a bit of damage if it did tip.

Last edited:
If you want to store loads of water and have the space then might be worth looking at IBCs or something rather than the domestic water butts, at some point.

Drip line will need a certain water pressure to work properly- how much depends on the specific product and how many runs of what length, best check with the supplier - which for larger areas may mean you'd need a pump if you aren't able to create enough pressure through just elevation.

Need to get this stuff sorted here but it's going be a big job, with site access issues and basically no budget, so just kind of putting it off at the moment...
You need a pump for it? Just sold one I had for watercooling a PC lol. I keep making more beds so thats a, thing. I have not looked into it but figured it was tubes and stuff.

My French beans fell over when I wasn't paying attention tho so I know auto stuff needs as much as possible.

You need a pump for it? Just sold one I had for watercooling a PC lol. I keep making more beds so thats a, thing. I have not looked into it but figured it was tubes and stuff.

My French beans fell over when I wasn't paying attention tho so I know auto stuff needs as much as possible.
Depends. You have to move the water from the storage container, through a pipe and whatever irrigation e.g. drip tape, and into the soil. If there isn't enough pressure, you won't get an even flow through the whole system and some stuff will end up not getting enough water.

Even the pressure difference between filling cans from a water butt that's completely full and one that's half empty is really noticeable. Every metre of elevation gives you 0.1bar

Got pals coming for beef brisket later. The shallots, garlic, parsley all came out the garden. A big slug of that tomato sauce above as well. In the oven.
That's the best thing ever right, making something and being able to say you produced most or all of the ingredients yourself. Hoping I'll have some dried beans ready at the same time as the last sauce tomatoes finish ripening, and I have a load of tatties that are damaged and won't keep long which I'm planning to freeze as part-done roast potatoes (in fat rendered from the ducks that are responsible for half the damage, which feels fitting)

Well I’ve planted the bulbs, when it finally stopped raining. I was slightly raising the height of where they’re going anyway so just covered them in top soil. Fairly sure they’ll be fine, but we will see in 6 months time.

Also planted some heather on a sloping rockery I created when I relevelled the garden. Used some topsoil there too, hopefully it will look a bit better when established.

Before, basically it was upturned dried sods of earth from when I dug a hole for a patio
IMG_8581.jpeg

After

IMG_8595.jpeg
Maybe I should have added a lower tier of heather. It’s quite a steep slope though so might have been hard to plant. Can always do it later though.

Well I’ve planted the bulbs, when it finally stopped raining. I was slightly raising the height of where they’re going anyway so just covered them in top soil. Fairly sure they’ll be fine, but we will see in 6 months time.

Also planted some heather on a sloping rockery I created when I relevelled the garden. Used some topsoil there too, hopefully it will look a bit better when established.

Before, basically it was upturned dried sods of earth from when I dug a hole for a patio
View attachment 391881

After

View attachment 391882
Maybe I should have added a lower tier of heather. It’s quite a steep slope though so might have been hard to plant. Can always do it later though.
Looking much better.

Are you going to put a row of rock/something at the front edge to stop the soil washing down and away if it rains? Or maybe it isn't as steep as it looks.

Back
Top Bottom