Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

There's cheap municipal waste stuff? I was looking at a 650kg bag of vegetable soil whatever the hell that means. Top soil just kept coming up as a suggestion.
Usually but who to buy it off will depend on where you are. I used to get mine from a tiny local family turfing business but not found a source up here yet. Often sold as "green waste" compost. It's cheap and shit but useful for covering large areas if you're on a budget and can innoculate it with something much richer.

When I had to first fill a couple of deep raised beds I used a modified hugelkultur method The Many Benefits of Hugelkultur

I put some branches and fresh garden waste at the bottom and then put compost on top. It definitely saved on buying in expensive compost although I had to top them eventually as the stuff at the bottom decomposed.

When I had to first fill a couple of deep raised beds I used a modified hugelkultur method The Many Benefits of Hugelkultur

I put some branches and fresh garden waste at the bottom and then put compost on top. It definitely saved on buying in expensive compost although I had to top them eventually as the stuff at the bottom decomposed.
That was literally my plan to begin with but I'm both ways about it. Have a big pile of logs, trimmings and stuff to bump the height up then stick the raised bed on but it came with a base attached which complicated things.

That was literally my plan to begin with but I'm both ways about it. Have a big pile of logs, trimmings and stuff to bump the height up then stick the raised bed on but it came with a base attached which complicated things.
Do you mean the bottom of the raised beds aren't open to the soil? Mine just have sides. I'd be tempted to put the logs and trimmings inside the bottom too. The deepest of my raised beds is 50cm deep but doesn't have a bottom to it. I put the logs, branches and fresh garden waste to cover the bottom 20cm (maybe) and then put compost on top.

Do you mean the bottom of the raised beds aren't open to the soil? Mine just have sides. I'd be tempted to put the logs and trimmings inside the bottom too. The deepest of my raised beds is 50cm deep but doesn't have a bottom to it. I put the logs, branches and fresh garden waste to cover the bottom 20cm (maybe) and then put compost on top.
Yeh its a fabric one thats split into 8 with a flat base, can get stuff under the divide in theory, also with a plastic/mesh frame top so rain can come in and temp can be kept up later. Aluminium one was open based, this is taller (1ft) and has a 3ft cover. Rather bump the whole lot up a few feet off the ground and have it on top but the base is not helping, may adjust it somehow.

Lots of ladybirds at various stages of development in the garden this morning. Could be a repeat of the summer of ‘76? Aphids beware!

View attachment 382891View attachment 382892View attachment 382893

Oo didn’t realise there was a dedicated thread - Ta!

What are the thickest logs you'd use in Hugel?

They seem to have some fairly chunky bits going in, I had wondered about splitting some of mine to get going faster as they are from 6-12 inch diameter and I get to find out if the felling axe is any good for splitting since thats what I have and if not then find out exactly what power tools are in the shed now.

Fair point. I've unwittingly been building one by filling in that 10-foot by 3-foot deep hole in the garden - loads of twigs and leaves and things in there. It's nearly full now though so I won't throw in the large tree sections I've got over.

I've been clearing the goose-grass/cleavers/sticky willie along the boundary with my neighbour's overgrown garden. Although I thought I'd picked off all the seeds from my clothes I keep finding them. I suspect this will be happening for the rest of the day.

I've never managed to grow flowers from seed before this year, and now I have sweet peas :)
I have the same sort of opinion from growing veg lol, never bothered with flowers, had a failed bonsai seed but that was it, apart from growing huge quantities of wild flower seed about and some grass, nothing worked. Now have huge quantities of spring onion, lettuce and some other mixed lettuce coming up, like 3x6fts worth lol. Basic but like I did a growing thing! Way overseeded but well wanted to actyually win and we have lines of stuff too. Like I did proper growing things.

Second bed filled, compost, grass cutting, mulch, old pond stuff, then topped with a few inches of bagged compost now looking at potentially using an old above ground pool as another bed, a spare one already bought to go sonewhere and putting in a 7ft hugelkutur. Then replacing pool with a circular one SO had wanted for years and sorting out some decking around it. Get a proper bbq area sorted. Guy up the road has free wood going I may make a fence out of if we are ever in at the same time. Just dumped 10k different clover seeds all over the garden. Thicker to now with a push mower but also way better cover and insect attraction.

Attachments

• 20230716_182319.jpg
    20230716_182319.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 3
One in a pot has died, one in a pot hasn’t. I am not sure what I did wrong, perhaps not enough compost in one pot or something

I planted out some more kale this morning - this year I didn't make the mistake of thinking they would grow in actual shade and then waste the sunshine on peas and potatoes.
Though I have wasted sunshine on my amaranth and verbena hedge - though the amaranth is winning and amazingly not a single tagetes has sprouted from last year...

The bloody white butterflies are a bastard - the acres of nasturtiums are pretty well untouched and they prefer my kale and I never find any caterpillars. I squidged quite a few eggs this morning...

In spite of the best efforts of the molluscs I should have 3 kinds of bean later ...

And I'm starting to harvest courgettes - at a sensible size so far...

It has yet to be seen how my broadcast salad performs...

Since I'm moving towards sautéing and salad, I've started alfalfa, broccoli and fenugreek sprouts in the bathroom and will tentatively try mung sprouts ... since I'm a lot more organised now I can grow the elsewhere in the house where it isn't stupidly hot.
I look forward to a couple of years' time when I hope to be producing salad in quantity and hopefully automatically ...

morekale.jpg

Attachments

• firstcourgettes2023.jpg
    firstcourgettes2023.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 6
I planted out some more kale this morning - this year I didn't make the mistake of thinking they would grow in actual shade and then waste the sunshine on peas and potatoes.
Though I have wasted sunshine on my amaranth and verbena hedge - though the amaranth is winning and amazingly not a single tagetes has sprouted from last year...

The bloody white butterflies are a bastard - the acres of nasturtiums are pretty well untouched and they prefer my kale and I never find any caterpillars. I squidged quite a few eggs this morning...

In spite of the best efforts of the molluscs I should have 3 kinds of bean later ...

And I'm starting to harvest courgettes - at a sensible size so far...

It has yet to be seen how my broadcast salad performs...

Since I'm moving towards sautéing and salad, I've started alfalfa, broccoli and fenugreek sprouts in the bathroom and will tentatively try mung sprouts ... since I'm a lot more organised now I can grow the elsewhere in the house where it isn't stupidly hot.
I look forward to a couple of years' time when I hope to be producing salad in quantity and hopefully automatically ...

View attachment 383770
Cabbage whites can be a real pain. My nasturtiums only act as a decoy for about one in ten egg layers . Fine mesh netting on cabbages etc is worth trying or a spray every three days with garlic, chilli , water and oil . Unfortunately it’s control rather than eradication . Season has passed for them here thank heavens .

They look lovely clicker :)

Mowed the lawn, front and back, this evening. Finally got it under control. Think I’ll return my mates lawn mower I borrowed as I’m not a massive fan of it and seem to have broken one of the folding handles - oops - and ought get my own really.

Next job to tackle is the massive bush (leylandii I think) which is obstructing my path to the front door. Think I need to out of politeness tell the neighbour whose bush it is that I’m going to do it? He is a bit odd I think and has the same bushes growing in front of his house and up his garden path. So either likes his privacy or is too lazy to cut them. Anyway they are basically blocking my path so they need to be cut back so the path is usable

IMG_7681.jpegMight look to do it in the next few weeks if it stays cool. Am I going to need to get a hedge trimmer for this or can I use my coping saw? I don’t think there’s that many branches. Would rather not buy an extra tool as money is tight

They look lovely clicker :)

Mowed the lawn, front and back, this evening. Finally got it under control. Think I’ll return my mates lawn mower I borrowed as I’m not a massive fan of it and seem to have broken one of the folding handles - oops - and ought get my own really.

Next job to tackle is the massive bush (leylandii I think) which is obstructing my path to the front door. Think I need to out of politeness tell the neighbour whose bush it is that I’m going to do it? He is a bit odd I think and has the same bushes growing in front of his house and up his garden path. So either likes his privacy or is too lazy to cut them. Anyway they are basically blocking my path so they need to be cut back so the path is usable

View attachment 383837Might look to do it in the next few weeks if it stays cool. Am I going to need to get a hedge trimmer for this or can I use my coping saw? I don’t think there’s that many branches. Would rather not buy an extra tool as money is tight
Be careful cutting into a Leylandii hedge. If you cut back beyond the green bits it won't ever grow back. You'll be staring at what looks like a dead hedge for ever.

Be careful cutting into a Leylandii hedge. If you cut back beyond the green bits it won't ever grow back. You'll be staring at what looks like a dead hedge for ever.
Ok, but what’s the alternative? I can’t access my front path, as the hedge is intruding 1ft or so across the line of the path

I almost never use the front entrance anyway

Back
Top Bottom