Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Turns out the pond bamboo/gunnera/apple tree/some type of reed fall thats collected to be 3/4 the depth of the pond may actually be useful, whacked a few wheelbarrows of topsoil I had dug for another project on it cos it was full of some flies or similar and left it. Turns out its great for compost, can I use this as the lower level of raised beds too? Have another 16ft arriving and it would help with the fill, otherwise how do I fix a 5ft high composter with a missing door? lol.
Bed waiting on mulch and that are not ready or no mulch yet, clouch to be moved when in. Now doubling length of this and moving it to across for a windblock mounted on birch logs.

Attachments

• 20230625_181037.jpg
    20230625_181037.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 4
Does this look like an echium?? IMG_20230626_181218.jpgIMG_20230626_181420.jpg

I think I planted a couple but didn't have much hope in the doing anything but now I have this with the spotty leaves!

Hello everyone and happy summer to you.

It’s been a very busy time gardening. I just harvested my broad beans. Immediately planted basil and round courgettes and parsley in the space.

The sweet pea and pea frame is mostly sweet peas but they are grand.

The bamboo wigwam, I cut the space out of the lawn and the beans have just reached the seven foot high top.

Aubergines and several varieties of tomatoes are growing well.

Blight done for all my planted spuds but the random ones are all fine.

I am running out of space so have moved some very neat looking potted vegetables out to the more ornamental front garden.

My beds are full of whatever flowers came up and the bees are here a lot.

May your harvests be bountiful. :)3DE66DBC-BDE2-413C-B899-BFDF8A9BB885.jpegCC439BB8-4ED7-4894-BCD3-73ED3726EB96.jpegC9CC60B8-3303-4355-BE4C-2C987E2C55C5.jpeg0EB8E4C6-B1F0-4F51-9E7E-29CF7B48113B.jpeg215CB362-047D-45DE-A245-D33CBA477F46.jpegDFCB2D51-F687-4E17-8FBD-D5B75C1A7DB0.jpeg

I really need to find something I can use as a trellis /support for various things like my raspberries and part of the grape vine. About a 4 metre length. I bought a couple of stakes meaning to hammer them in and string wires or intertwine branches or something between them but (a) I think there may be some buried bricks and (b) it didn't do the wrist I broke year before last much good.

I've been hoping I'd find something in a skip that would do the job but it hasn't happened plus I'd still have to get it home somehow.

Any suggestions? There isn't much to attach it to but it would sit behind a low wall which probably comes about 6 inches above the soil level.

I really need to find something I can use as a trellis /support for various things like my raspberries and part of the grape vine. About a 4 metre length. I bought a couple of stakes meaning to hammer them in and string wires or intertwine branches or something between them but (a) I think there may be some buried bricks and (b) it didn't do the wrist I broke year before last much good.

I've been hoping I'd find something in a skip that would do the job but it hasn't happened plus I'd still have to get it home somehow.

Any suggestions? There isn't much to attach it to but it would sit behind a low wall which probably comes about 6 inches above the soil level.
We need a picture of the space

This is 3 years ago when it was being redone and it's a lot more overgrown than this now. There is the arch at one end but that's practically rusted through and being kept upright mostly by the vine probably.

Having some kind of plant support there would not only support the plants but also help to shade the patio and create more of a divide. FB_IMG_1593181410552~2.jpg

Last edited:

I don't have a suggestion but do have a similar problem with my raspberries. I'm not sure a trellis would be suitable though. If yours are anything like mine they have spread out across the depth of the bed so I couldn't tie them all to one trellis.

Here are mine from a couple of years ago.

I think the only solution is a couple of stakes at either end (and intervals in between, if necessary) and string or wire to hold the canes up. Mine tend to flop forwards away from the retaining wall behind and it makes it difficult to spot ripe fruit with all the dense canes in the bed.

Well, it's difficult for me to pick the ripe fruit but the blackbirds have no problem!

I don't have a suggestion but do have a similar problem with my raspberries. I'm not sure a trellis would be suitable though. If yours are anything like mine they have spread out across the depth of the bed so I couldn't tie them all to one trellis.

Here are mine from a couple of years ago.

I think the only solution is a couple of stakes at either end (and intervals in between, if necessary) and string or wire to hold the canes up. Mine tend to flop forwards away from the retaining wall behind and it makes it difficult to spot ripe fruit with all the dense canes in the bed.

Well, it's difficult for me to pick the ripe fruit but the blackbirds have no problem!
Well, I think I also need something taller so I can train one arm of the vine along the top. Plus there's a sunberry (like loganberry) at the other end that needs something too.

It's just a mess atm because I got as far as taking out the very inadequate bamboo canes and then came unstuck so everything is sprawling everywhere.

Well, I think I also need something taller so I can train one arm of the vine along the top. Plus there's a sunberry (like loganberry) at the other end that needs something too.

It's just a mess atm because I got as far as taking out the very inadequate bamboo canes and then came unstuck so everything is sprawling everywhere.
Is it the vine over the metal arch? Could you screw a couple of vine eyes into the wall on the left and run some wires to the metal arch? And, perhaps, screw another couple of vine eyes onto the fence on the right and run some wires from those to the other side of the arch to keep it stable?

I've only got to contend with the raspberries in my bed. I'm growing tayberries up a trellis against the shed. They are much easier to deal with.

ETA: Talking of tayberries, that reminds me I was going to see if some of them were ripe enough to pick to have after dinner. BRB!

This is 3 years ago when it was being redone and it's a lot more overgrown than this now. There is the arch at one end but that's practically rusted through and being kept upright mostly by the vine probably.

Having some kind of plant support there would not only support the plants but also help to shade the patio and create more of a divide. View attachment 380946
I would put up a ridge pole of bamboo. Like a ridge tent frame.

Trying to get the back garden sorted.

backgardenendjune.png
I don't have much time to devote to it, but this is my last gardening for 2 years at least ...
The french beans are showing , I sowed an entire packet of Blue Lake French beans to fill in the gaps among the purple podded ...the tomatoes are taking off in the south-facing bed

sunnybed.jpgI finally got the first load of kale in. This time in a spot that will get some sunshine alongside the courgettes.- hopefully enough even when they get large ... I have more baby kale fattening up elsewhere for later ...
I had seed to use up- so I sprinkled mixed lettuce amongst the kale and swiss chard amongst the tomatoes and nasturtiums ...

backgardenendjune2.jpg

The nasturtiums are coming up like weeds now I'm trying to move some of them to the front garden ...

The upper end which is currently a dusty fox playground in spite of my efforts with torch and catapult will be somewhat screened off by a row of transplanted amaranth and verbena ... and even more nasturtiums...
mixed up American land cress, American Purslane and lamb's lettuce and broadcast it at the end - it's like a desert up there and if it grows it grows...

Just add rain ...

Last edited:
And the front garden again - predictably I moved the plants I planted the other day as they were too close together and I don't have much left ......
I will plant tobacco alongside the green bin - but that will be going out the back soon as I've nearly finished with the green waste - though I'm paid up for another couple of months ... I'm also having a tub out the back - all for the perfume...

frontgardenendjune 2023.jpg
As well as relocating verbenas, I'm planting spare nasturtiums in the bare ground.

nasturtsfront.jpg
The porch planter is still a complete fail. For some reason nasturtiums hate it up there ...

nasturtfail.jpg

So I also put some in the window box ...

nasturtwindowbox.jpg

We have hedgehogs living in our cornish hedge. Now having to be rather careful when trimming it instead of my usual hack and slash approach. With 2 more raised beds arriving we now have a natural pest patrol too.

Edit The dog thankfully learned to leave them alone. After being repeatedly told to leave them alone and getting nose poked he got the message.

Last edited:
San marzano, valencia and yellow tomatoes, 3 types of lettuce, sweet peppers, heritage corn, peas, Swiss rainbow chard, spring onions all planted or seeding. 1 of the two new beds in at least if not filled yet. Another one to go, basil and chives inside but looking to split off and the massive rosemary Bush to do the same.

Plus the tomatoes we got from FIL have actual tomatoes on them even if small and green. Need to do strawberries and raspberries next.

Err how do you stop buying more plants? I'm already looking on amazon.

Attachments

• 20230701_180302.jpg
    20230701_180302.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230701_174405.jpg
    20230701_174405.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 9
The random magic of gardens...all my tomato seedlings died, but there is a random tomato plant growing near my sweet peas (nowhere near where any of the seedlings were)...and my yucca or whatever it is that was dead and gone and rotten has started sprouting new leaves at the base 🤷‍♀️
Lol yeh I was saying this earlier. I've planted thousands of seeds and a few kilos of grass/clover seed went down. So far the only things growing are things we bought or were given as plants. Despite this I kept an orchid alive for 10 years and managed to under water a cactus. Its good the kids, parrots and dog make noise.

Last edited:
I think this is the sort of thing I need really. But as I'd need at least 3, preferably a lot cheaper.

I've been trying to do the bamboo thing but it's fairly rickety and everything has grown the wrong way by now. I'll cobble it together hopefully and tackle it properly in the autumn.

i have only got a fairly small bit of garden - i usually put some bedding plants in for the summer.

i didn't go too soon as there were late-ish frosts forecast, then it went straight to very hot / dry.

i was otherwise engaged last weekend, and there's bugger all available now.

sod.

Back
Top Bottom