Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Can you have a look for ericaceous John Innes 3, two sheds. Compost is fine for a season but gets all sorts of issues for longer term. I know peat is frowned upon but honestly, for a plant which will be spending many years in a container, you do need to have a very specific mix. This is mine. 5 parts John Innes 3. I part bark fines (or hydroleca or vermiculite - get the builders stuff). 1 part horticultural grit. The John Innes has a percentage of peat and enough base fertiliser mix for 2-3 months (although I feed after 6 weeks. Your main issues are going to be drainage and compaction so the physical components of the mix are really crucial - the fertiliser bit is the easiest. Most decent garden centres should have a John Innes recipe (my current favourite is Clover and least favourite is J.Arthur Bowyers).

OK, you could manage this without peat (coir will do) but you really can't manage without a proper loamy topsoil and drainage and aeration. I have been looking out for a really good bulk topsoil but struggle to risk ordering a tonne of what might turn out to be rubbish so am stuck with buying 30litre bags of JI 3. I get through more than 50 of them a year!
I hoped you might comment :)

Like this for the compost? I've got this so far but the Innes doesn't look that expensive and I do have some heathers and things.

I'll get some bark fines and will have some over which is nice because I need a mulch for my hawthorns. I'll swear I've got some grit somewhere.

I've always gone with non-peat but it does have variable quality although there are some good ones. I bought some peat compost by mistake last year plus the ericaceous compost.

At the moment we are having to repot a mass of suffering houseplants & we've already lost a significant number of the pots that were done in the last 12-18 months.

When unpotted, the root ball often hasn't extended into the "new" compost, at all.
In the few cases where it has, it appears to be "poison" to the plant !

I have only seen this level of damage twice before.
once when I had a [vine] weevil / slug infestation ...
and when I accepted some home-made compost from friends who were bulk makers.
They had had a similar result ...
It turned out, after they had investigated and some tests were done, that one of the people supplying them with grass clippings had treated their lawn with weedkiller and not left it long enough before cutting. [I was told they should have heaped those mowings separately]

no idea what it might be? do you remember what the make of compost was?
No, I've had several in the past three years.
I tried to stick with the one "make" but the first 2020 lockdown stopped me replenishing my supply from the garden centre I normally got it from [and they stayed shut and didn't do courier / mail order at all during the period in question].
Unfortunately, we didn't keep detailed records ...

no i normally don't either - one good thing about buying everything online there's normally a receipt in my emails somewhere

During the first year of lockdown, I have never seen such utter rubbish (sold as compost) in my entire life - not even fit for using as a mulch. I have a couple of unopened bags of some 'Levingtons rubbish, still in the greenhouse. Not just one lone brand, but ALL the bought in stuff was the most disgusting rubbish. For example, I use a proprietory mix called 'Jack's Magic' to open up my usual soil-based mixes - which, in 2020 was almost pure sand. At least none of it was actively damaging.
I have also come across the dire results from using grass clipping (as well as horse manure , from horses fed with treated hay. Trichlopyr is usually the culprit - once banned for home use but now included in most broad-leaf herbicides (instead of the older 2.4D. I ruined many, many vegetables from adding poisoned manure and have never since been able to rely on animal-based manures...and my soil is definitely suffering a bit.I think it is probably time to make my own topsoil since we just cannot either rely on, or even afford commercial mixes. Fortunately, I do have allotment space for a few turf stacks and access to some really good home-made compost and leaf-mould.

So many plants, so little time. Currently wondering which rabbit-hole to explore for the next few seasons and trying to decide between gentians or frtillaries.

At the moment we are having to repot a mass of suffering houseplants & we've already lost a significant number of the pots that were done in the last 12-18 months.

When unpotted, the root ball often hasn't extended into the "new" compost, at all.
In the few cases where it has, it appears to be "poison" to the plant !

I have only seen this level of damage twice before.
once when I had a [vine] weevil / slug infestation ...
and when I accepted some home-made compost from friends who were bulk makers.
They had had a similar result ...
It turned out, after they had investigated and some tests were done, that one of the people supplying them with grass clippings had treated their lawn with weedkiller and not left it long enough before cutting. [I was told they should have heaped those mowings separately]
I vaguely remember reading that some people have had problems a couple of years ago with commercial composts which were found to have pesticide/weedkiller residues and which caused significant growth issues.

Sorry I can't remember proper details.

There's this from a couple of years ago, so depending on when you bought it.

Funnily enough, I didn't see any of the typical leaf-curling, although I think my tomatoes have been OK during this period, just other conditions haven't been the best.
But hormone / persistent weed-killer is at least as likely as nematodes or weevils.
I wonder if I can get some of the junk tested ?
Although, I don't remember finding any of the latter pests during the period of this problem.

I dump old & used up compost onto an area where I'm trying to build up the level, so it would be very thinly distributed. I'll watch the area in question this year.

And I'm going back to making my own.

Excellent - I have also just ordered a pallet of Sinclair growing medium - 800litres of various mixes and a load of Vitax ferts. Don't forget vermiculite, clay granules or grit for aeration. Crucial for long-term potting (which is more or less my whole home garden).

Ah, the contaminated compost thing has been running for over a decade when Chlopyralid/trichlopyr was taken off the commercial agricultural lists and used in retail herbicides such as Verdone. It is a freaking nightmare since the chemicals do not break down, even after going through a horse's gut, so manure (for me) has been off the table for years. I even had a year of allotment chickens just to get the shitey straw. Have had to really up my game with home composting now I am using mainly granular fertiliser at the plot and liquid feeds at home (for the extra organic buffering), although even with 3 massive heaps, I can only make a tonne or so a year. My garden budget is completely depleted now after dropping almost 200quiddies in 5 minutes of online ordering.
One good thing about using soil based composts - the mix does not degrade over time (unlike most multipurpose which is only fit for 1 season (bedding plants, vegetables, growbags and the like - hopeless for any long-term container gardening (and, of course, my indoor growing(!), I start off using nice fresh loam in new pots (and weed), which then gets tipped into the beds or riddled for seed and cuttings. Over the years, the beds at the allotment have increased by well over 30cm depth from literally hundreds of pre-used pots being added to the raised beds.

Last edited:
Wet day today, so doing other things - like business admin, although I'm currently on a late lunch break form this morning's procrastinations.

Hoping the wood pile that I'm planning to log up tomorrow stays dry enough for that.
The nest box screws should be here later.

Also doing some more garden planning ... the storms have unsettled my thoughts on what to grow this year, and I need either more sheds or another decent building, also for storage. [As I've lost a load of stuff, inc bird-box kits, from the workshop in the past year or so - and I don't think that's a coincidence given the on-going saga there, see work frustrations thread.]

I wish someone would invent a chemical cleaner to remove pesticide residues. They could make a fortune !

Compost is a slightly sore subject with me given how much I bought and barrowed in to the old garden last year.

All my bulbs are up now with crocuses in bloom and daffodils on the cusp.

It looks nice and tidy and ready for the new growing season.

Does anyone use these for growing salad veg? I have basic troughs already, but fancy these raised ones instead. Do the plastic lids turn them into greenhouse-y type things or are the lids just for keeping pests out?

trough.JPG

Does anyone use these for growing salad veg? I have basic troughs already, but fancy these raised ones instead. Do the plastic lids turn them into greenhouse-y type things or are the lids just for keeping pests out?

View attachment 313490
An incubator with the lid on, like a cloche. Would be great for salads. The wooden versions are shoddy and shite. That plastic will last bar maybe getting brittle in the sun.

Can you have a look for ericaceous John Innes 3, two sheds. Compost is fine for a season but gets all sorts of issues for longer term. I know peat is frowned upon but honestly, for a plant which will be spending many years in a container, you do need to have a very specific mix. This is mine. 5 parts John Innes 3. I part bark fines (or hydroleca or vermiculite - get the builders stuff). 1 part horticultural grit. The John Innes has a percentage of peat and enough base fertiliser mix for 2-3 months (although I feed after 6 weeks.
Done all that so thanks again :) The John Innes is much finer than the non-peat I'm used to. I just repotted last time without teasing out the roots because I'm always a bit concerned I'm going to damage them. The roots were working their way out anyway though so I teased a bit more.

I hadn't realized ericaceous compost is good for raspberries and hopefully japanese acer (now not very well) and must get some more heather because mine died.

Actually turned out to be two jobs in one - my favourite: I've been concerned at going in the garden to do things because Frankie (new cocker spaniel ❤️) was left on his own a lot by his previous owners and got separation anxiety. So I went out for 5, 10 and then 15 minutes doing stuff and he was fine so I can play in the garden again.

01DAE116-FC72-4964-B7FF-D3F4EE5C06D1.jpegMy garden is all so neat and tidy. For many years here at this time there would be a smashed up gazebo and the remains of a November party (Jim Jones style), complete with angry neighbours. Now it's a tidy blank canvas. Going to have lots of flowers this year.

Last edited:
mine nearly, too - I've got lots of areas of bare soil where I've cleared the ivy and lots of native flower seeds to put in them.

Great work Topcat.

I tidied mine up a bit this week. Things are starting to come up. Gave it a mulch for the first time ever.

Now the frosts are gone going to wait a couple more weeks and pot the Elephants Ear/Black magic we bought. I filled a tub with soil and no drainage and it is holding the water well so hopefully will be able to make it into a bog. Fingers crossed.

Great work Topcat.

I tidied mine up a bit this week. Things are starting to come up. Gave it a mulch for the first time ever.
I have bark for mulching and hawthorns that I was considering using the mulch on but I came to do it today and saw that there weren't really many weeds and there were actually some nice looking plants.

Soooooo, what should I mulch?

I have bark for mulching and hawthorns that I was considering using the mulch on but I came to do it today and saw that there weren't really many weeds and there were actually some nice looking plants.

Soooooo, what should I mulch?
No idea. I just sort of threw it around :D I am hoping it keeps the slugs off one of my plants (something Susan's) as they got to it before I could protect it.

Back
Top Bottom