Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

So what's the chances of a fruit on my self-sown peach ?
Or at least a bloom or two ?
Should I at least put a plastic bag over the top bud ?

peachtree.jpg

Last edited:
Please, Can I put in a plea for people to leave some common nettles in out of the way corners - they are the food plant for the caterpillars of several butterfly species.
Which like bees are having a dreadful time [overall / nationally] and both groups would also appreciate some plants with a good nectar supply.
TIA madame butterfly and the bees ...

Raised veg beds in one of my work gardens are entirely full of 8ft tall nettles at the moment. My professional advice was that it might be easiest for the customer to turn into a caterpillar that eats nettles :thumbs:

Bees are loving the daphne and rosemary flowers atm.

Been having an initial skirmish with the out-of-control bamboo groves in the garden. Hacked down six of the blighters so far. Let’s see if that just makes them angry, or whether they’ll grow back acceptably thinned out. I don’t hate the stuff - unless it runs aggressively and grows 20ft tall so blocking out light and vistas.

Before and after on one grove:24877FCA-6375-4C4B-84D6-98EEF02F3D47.jpegC937D34F-EC71-41A7-AEEF-F8B651DFA7EE.jpeg

A vegetable garden update!

Over the last couple of weekends I've been working a bit more on the vegetable garden which is at the top of the garden.

Apologies for re-posting old photos but this is what it looked like when I moved in 8 years ago. Feel free to skip over this post!

My main focus was originally sorting out the rest of the garden first as it was all overgrown!

When I got to "ground" level on the top bit I realised that much of it had been built up with spoil from elsewhere in the garden and from when the extension had been built. I dug out the bit in front of the wooden shed but stopped there.

As a temporary measure I levelled off the area in front of the green shed and covered it with paving slabs which had also been dumped there. You can see some of them stacked on the right of the first photo above.

Still a work in progress but just a bit tidier...

The wooden shed on the left was beyond hope so I took it down and moved the green metal one to take its place. I put a trellis up in front for some tayberries. The rhubarb in front seems to like it there.

Having moved the metal shed I set about re-using some brick pavers for a new path and adding another new deep raised bed to the other side. I also began lifting the paving slabs, digging out the chalk spoil and creating a new vegetable bed.

Another year on and I lifted a few more paving slabs, removed some chalk spoil and extended the new vegetable bed.

The tayberries are beginning to fill up the trellis and the raspberries in the bed behind the deep raised bed are getting established.

And, now I've finally lifted all the "temporary" paving slabs, cleared out the remaining chalk and rubble spoil and filled with soil. I now have a Hippo Megbag full with about a tonne & half of chalk and rubble!

Next up... growing more vegetables!

And, possibly cutting the grass!

Been having an initial skirmish with the out-of-control bamboo groves in the garden. Hacked down six of the blighters so far. Let’s see if that just makes them angry, or whether they’ll grow back acceptably thinned out. I don’t hate the stuff - unless it runs aggressively and grows 20ft tall so blocking out light and vistas.

Before and after on one grove:View attachment 310036View attachment 310037
In my experience it tends to run more when you hack it back. Have you trenched it in with anything like a barrier?

I could do with some bamboo - I need something to screen part of my garden off from another part ...

Buy a potted one from one of the supermarket chains. They usually have then in around may/june and they're half the price of what the garden centres charge. Feed it tomato feed and liquid seaweed for the season and until is outgrows it's pot and then you can divide it using a hand saw and get 4 plants out of it for making screens. You need to trench bamboo with a barrier of some form though as they can go batshit in the ground. I have mine in 45 gallon plastic drums that are cut in half to make two giant pots and then buried in the ground with enough showing above the surface to stop them running.

It's a great plant but it can be a nightmare if left to spread. We've got about 20 plants of different types now. They're all contained in some form of barrier.

Wow looks great Leafster , looks like it took a lot of work!

Hard to tell from the pic but I don't think that's a leatherjacket

I think the big one is maybe some sort of moth larvae? Bit big for a leatherjacket this time of year, and I don't think they have legs. Pics not great but I think this one is the leatherjacket

20220214_080532.jpg

In any case something is making a lot of holes in my lawn!

Wow looks great Leafster , looks like it took a lot of work!

I think the big one is maybe some sort of moth larvae? Bit big for a leatherjacket this time of year, and I don't think they have legs. Pics not great but I think this one is the leatherjacket

View attachment 310039

In any case something is making a lot of holes in my lawn!
Oh yeah that looks like one, didn't notice it before (on phone). Nematodes will sort leatherjackets but the ground needs to warmer, ideally you'd do them in autumn but a more concentrated application in spring works too.

Oh yeah that looks like one, didn't notice it before (on phone). Nematodes will sort leatherjackets but the ground needs to warmer, ideally you'd do them in autumn but a more concentrated application in spring works too.

Yeah I think I'll do that this autumn. And have fun discovering the different grubs my garden is home to until then with the tarpaulin method!

In my experience it tends to run more when you hack it back. Have you trenched it in with anything like a barrier?
There were no barriers to stop the running bamboo varieties from spreading [we bought a renovation project house with large gardens and woodlands last year that had been neglected/empty for 6 years]. But I’ve already cut through and dug out the bolting rhizomes on the mature groves where to leave it could be problematic or a nuisance, so effectively created a shallow “loose soil” trench now that’ll be easier to revisit for annual root cut-backs In future.

The couple of overlarge- running bamboo groves in the sloping woodlands area can wait a bit longer before they get taught a lesson. The clumpers (generally shorter, anyway) will need attention at some point too, but that’s way down the list.

There were no barriers to stop the running bamboo varieties from spreading [we bought a renovation project house with large gardens and woodlands last year that had been neglected/empty for 6 years]. But I’ve already cut through and dug out the bolting rhizomes on the mature groves where to leave it could be problematic or a nuisance, so effectively created a shallow “loose soil” trench now that’ll be easier to revisit for annual root cut-backs In future.

The couple of overlarge- running bamboo groves in the sloping woodlands area can wait a bit longer before they get taught a lesson. The clumpers (generally shorter, anyway) will need attention at some point too, but that’s way down the list.
Sounds like a great project.

Our place was empty for a similar length of time. Im sure I saw a herd of Zebra hiding in the lawn when we moved it.

We back onto a sloping wood but the main problem with ours is Ivy. When we moved in the garage was pretty much invisible.

It all takes time hey? 😀20200617_172539.jpg

nice ! I like a good bit of weave

I'm looking enviously at the logs !
First time for me. Took a good hour or so for it to sink in. The weaver/ gardener was very patient.
The customer had two massive trees come down during Eunice's tantrum so that's only a handful of the logs.
I never thought weaving could be so knackering!

I cut the lawn yesterday for the first time this year. Apparently I let the man side down and everyone is now cutting the grass.
My bulbs have been largely dug up and fucked with by the rampant squirrels. The colony is huge now and they are very destructive. I have planted lots of seeds, hoping for a sunny spring.

Plans for Today.

Go out and tidy up properly after Arwen, Barra, Malik, Dudley & Eunice have finished playing in my wildwood and garden.

Plus, replace some birdboxes and build a squirrel box [I have a red one to nurture]

Too wet underfoot to cut the grass, sadly, as it is a bit rampant.

I need to cut my lawn but it's blowing a very cold hooly out there. Plus after weaving again yesterday I have crab hands.
Getting there, once that's done just three more to do !
Strange coincidence, the house I'm working at I used to look after the elderly lady who often entertained Dennis Skinner and Tony benn. Told the new owner and he's over the moon the beast of bolsover has been in his kitchen.
IMG_20220225_163219.jpg

Plans for Today.

Go out and tidy up properly after Arwen, Barra, Malik, Dudley & Eunice have finished playing in my wildwood and garden.

Plus, replace some birdboxes and build a squirrel box [I have a red one to nurture]

Too wet underfoot to cut the grass, sadly, as it is a bit rampant.

Managed, despite the cold wind & lack of sun, to clear up the pile of tree prunings from the OHL guys.
Some pieces are big enough to be firewood [or kindling].
All the rest is now wildlife habitat.

Tomorrow is bird box day ...

I have optimistically dug trenches and planted spuds. There was a frost this morning but maybe the last one. :)
I've been waiting with putting things out because last frost here average March 11- 20th. Although the forecast looks warmish until March 11 so you might be right.

Last frost here can be as much as another two month here !

My poor fruit trees ...

campanula : Thanks, e2a, I can't count - more like another two months minimum, sometime in May, if I'm lucky !

Last edited:
Ah, I am pruning my roses. This is a freaking nightmare. All of them are monstrous ramblers and briars which I have been despairingly 'managing' for 20 years or so. Dealing with the arisings is the problem . I filled 2 tonne builders bags, even after chopping and stomping, from 1 single rose. There are 63 more to do. There used to be over 100 but the whole plot turned into a vicious assault course. Takes at least a day to dig one of the behemoths out (I have to get my boys in) so inevitably, some roses have not been pruned for a decade. For a month in June, the plot is truly, spectacularly beautiful but for the rest of the summer, it is a hazardous jungle which my family avoid. I suffer and bleed a lot. So I have been quite brutal, this year, using a combination of hedgetrimmers, pullsaws and a chainsaw, I have hacked the worst half dozen into stumps .They will certainly grow back but I get a small breathing space. Did 2 more today (a massively overgrown hybrid musk and a wild rosa arvensis(which cheerfully throws 6 m canes over a season).
I have to burn them so it is still a race before birds claim the evergreens in the next couple of weeks.

My last frost is the end of May! Months before potatoes get planted. Only just started chitting them.

Last edited:
I pulled a bit more ivy but there was rugby.

I should soon repot the magnolia - I put it in a larger pot but with ordinary compost and added an ericaceous feed. I've got some ericaceous compost though which I presume is going to be better.

We must have different definitions of last frost dates, StoneRoad. You are much further north than me (and higher altitude too). I have lost sweetcorn, planted out on 5th June before now (although my plot is in a frost pocket so I always add a couple of weeks to my 'official' LFD).

Can you have a look for ericaceous John Innes 3, two sheds. Compost is fine for a season but gets all sorts of issues for longer term. I know peat is frowned upon but honestly, for a plant which will be spending many years in a container, you do need to have a very specific mix. This is mine. 5 parts John Innes 3. I part bark fines (or hydroleca or vermiculite - get the builders stuff). 1 part horticultural grit. The John Innes has a percentage of peat and enough base fertiliser mix for 2-3 months (although I feed after 6 weeks. Your main issues are going to be drainage and compaction so the physical components of the mix are really crucial - the fertiliser bit is the easiest. Most decent garden centres should have a John Innes recipe (my current favourite is Clover and least favourite is J.Arthur Bowyers).

OK, you could manage this without peat (coir will do) but you really can't manage without a proper loamy topsoil and drainage and aeration. I have been looking out for a really good bulk topsoil but struggle to risk ordering a tonne of what might turn out to be rubbish so am stuck with buying 30litre bags of JI 3. I get through more than 50 of them a year!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom