Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Something has wreaked a trail of violent destruction through the plants that i had in pots on the ground.
Whatever it is dug up some stuff and ate the rest, ate all the ranunculi and flung bits of most everything else around. I don't know if deer or fox or badger or what :mad: :(

eta must have been deer, my little beautiful apple tree is destroyed too, apart from the very top where a few buds are still there. Am pretty heartbroken.

Last edited:
Confident enough in the weather to plant out some pea seedlings, I should of course have out these in larger pots fucking ages ago first as some lost a wee bit of roots coming out of the seedling tray.

I also lifted the lid on a compost bin that's been full for about 6-8 months and I'm fascinated by just how much life is in there. The worms are going crazy. Few hopeful squash seeds attempting to claw their way out to so I saved a couple and bunged em elsewhere.

One of my near neighbours has got a bigger one, not that we're in a competition or anything. They do well down on the southern coast

Something has wreaked a trail of violent destruction through the plants that i had in pots on the ground.
Whatever it is dug up some stuff and ate the rest, ate all the ranunculi and flung bits of most everything else around. I don't know if deer or fox or badger or what :mad: :(

eta must have been deer, my little beautiful apple tree is destroyed too, apart from the very top where a few buds are still there. Am pretty heartbroken.
Read something today and thought of this - writer said to put rags soaked in vinegar around the garden to discourage animals like deer. Did seem to believe vinegar was the solution to all garden ills though :(

This says it too. Other article says you need to replace after it rains but this one says it discourages animals even after it's dried so worth trying to cover it to keep it dry? Assuming of course it's not just some random hippy :(

full sun?
About 3/4 day
My cuttings from last year are giving it a go in a planter on my other fence , these get more sun too
IMG_20210506_191623.jpg
Not bad for one years growth, although quite a few died in winter on the right hand side, no idea what has taken over in that right pot. Green spiny leaves thing, I'm going to pull them out and retry some more cuttings , its not as if I'm short of them

Last edited:
Just remembered that mine is growing up through another smallish tree - lots of flowers spread through the tree but I'll swear they're bigger than that. Time now to take cuttings I see.

ta for this :cool:

I've got a jasmine in the conservatory at the moment which is going mental with loads of little white flowers which smell lovely :) I ought to try cuttings from that too.

Currently in the process of evicting EVERYTHING because aphids somehow got to some indoor seedlings (not overreacting - a full on infestation would be a nightmare with a hundred-odd houseplants). Lucky it's to warm up next week and I should be able to move some stuff out of the greenhouse to make space.

I'm not too bothered about aphids outside, been dunking stuff in a bowl of soapy water as I was pricking out/potting on but they shouldn't do that much damage before it warms up and then I'll just buy some lacewing larvae if they're getting to be a problem.

Read something today and thought of this - writer said to put rags soaked in vinegar around the garden to discourage animals like deer. Did seem to believe vinegar was the solution to all garden ills though :(

This says it too. Other article says you need to replace after it rains but this one says it discourages animals even after it's dried so worth trying to cover it to keep it dry? Assuming of course it's not just some random hippy :(
I have done what I can to learn about deer deterrents and in the end what I have is a book called ‘deer resistant design', which is basically about plants that they might not choose eat, if they have other options. :( Its part of living here, am trying to just sort of accept that they were here before me but yeah, not great.

Fraid so, Bimble. It took me years to get my head around the whole tree guard thing (cos I am a bit once they are 'in the wild' they are on their own). Attrition is a massive part of my gardening life, tbh. It used to upset me more than it does now cos enough plants survive to make me keep doing it. I spent 300quid in a demented allium frenzy, one year in the woods. Every one got ate. Like wise all the camassias (500)...but, Otoh, leucojums and primrose are colonising everywhere.This is in the wood...which is menaced by wildlife Deer, rabbits, squirrels, mice, voles...We get smarter (and more hard-nosed. I once destroyed more than half of my own garden with a spray disaster. Onwards and upwards (sew some zinnias - cheap,cheerful and my saviour during the awful spray year.

I've bought three or four packets of 'native woodland seeds' over the last two years and planted them out and was hoping for wood anemones and things but just got ... grass. I said that to a neighbour who said 'ah yes but there's really nice woodland grass', but when I look at them I just see ... grass.

Is this normal?

I have bind weed coming up in my raised beds. Glyphosate mixed with a bit of cornflower and painted on will do it but it’s sad.

Back when we got the wood, two sheds, I bought a kilo of native wildflowers and grass, and duly scattered it around. 8 years or so later, I am seeing stray bluebells, anemones, betony,and even martagon lilies, popping up around the place. It takes 5 years for a bluebell to reach flowering size, even in the most favourable conditions (7 years for mertensia, trilliums, aconites). 2 years is nothing. I am on the 4th year of my meadow...and finally expecting to see meadow rue, sanguisorba, centaury. So don't give up heart. Seeds can sit in the soil for years. Add a few more every year. Life is very tenacious...but will only evolve at it's own pace...which is invariably much slower than we impatient human gardeners might wish.

Back
Top Bottom