Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Sealer is generally a bit frowned upon, these days. I have never used it (but I do remember doing something called a winter wash, years ago). I think timing is more important (such as summer pruning to avoid fireblight )

Sealer is generally a bit frowned upon, these days. I have never used it (but I do remember doing something called a winter wash, years ago). I think timing is more important (such as summer pruning to avoid fireblight )

The rhubarb I keep meaning to move is already growing again. Biggest stalks are a bit over finger length not counting the leafy bits on top. How likely am I to kill it if I try moving it anyway?

I killed the one I moved :(
* dislike * :(

There's one bit that's not really in the way where it is. Stuff down the other end of the plot is right in the middle of my veg beds now but there's a few little baby rhubarbs sprung up near the big established plant that might not notice a move if I dig up enough soil with them.

could you make the one in the middle of the veg beds a feature? :)

I'm sure campanula or someone will give a better answer but sounds like you could be ok. Mine was in an inaccessible part of the garden surrounded by weeds and I gave it a much nicer spot ungrateful twat it was. I've also planted another one in a nice spot and put a chimney pot round it but that seems to have died too. :(

No :D Think it's in the bit I was planning to plant squash this year so I might just move the babies and leave the big rhubarb and squash to fight it out

this is what rhs says:

Cultivation notes

Any fertile garden soil can be used for rhubarb, as long as it is well drained and in full sun. Crowns (‘sets’) can be cropped for ten or more years, though division may be necessary after about five years.

Preparing the soil
Although the large foliage can help smother weeds, the ground should be free from perennial weeds before planting. Dig in one to two bucketfuls of well-rotted organic matter, such as manure, before planting.

Planting
Plant crowns in November or December. If necessary, planting can continue up to the beginning of March. Buy named cultivars, or choose a division from a strong, healthy-looking plant.

Plant the crown with the growing point at, or just below, the soil surface. On wetter soils, planting with the buds just raised out of the soil may help prevent rotting. If planting more than one crown, space plants 1m (3ft) apart, with 1-2m (3-6ft) between rows.

there's also more on what to do during summer, although I admit I've just ignored them the whole time - which worked nicely until I moved it :(

Yeah it's been thriving in thick sussex clay, on the shady side of a cold frame on a site riddled with bindweed and creeping buttercup and all sorts...

I'm not worried, my style of gardening is mostly a mix of "what happens if I do this?" and outright neglect :)

My salvias and cannas look the same. :(
Mine too (thank fuck). The garden was a wet jungly disaster ...but with enough cosmos, alstroes, campanulas, salvias and parahebes to hold off the secateurs. I have been losing patience for a coupla weeks but dithering. And I really struggle. cutting off healthy green growth (which is why I am having an issue with scented leaf geraniums) I had a preliminary hack just before christmas, revealing quite a lot of forgotten plants. There are pots of succulents and many bulbs, alpines which have been invisible for months. True, by overstuffing my teeny garden, I do usually lose a few things - my adenophora have been bullied to death and paeonies are a hopeless fail (I never get any flowers) - but this is a small price to pay to have something flowering all year. Now I have cut back all the Japanese anemones, dahlias, fuchsias and the like, loads of little bulbs (anemone coronaria, reticulated iris, narcissus, erythroniums are already out of the soil, with increasing rosettes of primrose, saxifrages, sedums, violets, carex, pulmonarias, filling in any vacant space. A lot of spring flowers do a vanishing trick in the summer, leaving space for more exuberant summer flowers and require no further effort from me. Although some can be weedy (celandines, for example), I still welcome them at the allotment and wood. Anyway, I generally forget what's in the garden, from one year to another, so it is always a joy to meet old planty friends. And there is always that gardening payback/deferred pleasure of bulbs.

For a slack and distracted gardener, with limited space, bulbs, corms and tubers have been my most reliable trick. Whilst it's too late for planting spring bulbs, there are a whole heap of summer bulbs to look forward to. I have to go and do dinner but expect I will want to revisit the joys of plants which have their own underground food storage organs (geophytes) as my garden is more reliant on this class of plants than anything else.

Last edited:
campanula I found that hori hori, let me know where to send it and I'll stick it in the post Monday
That's terrific, Iona. Tell you what, how about I sort out some seeds which are ideal for just broadcasting or sowing direct at your allotment, as a thank you. Since most of them have been collected from my allotment, they are all either simple annuals and perennials which you can toss around in any odd corners.
Will PM you

Oh god I'm still working through the mountain of pots and scrumpled up tissues & receipts and entire fucking shopping bags full of seed heads I accumulated last year

Go on , twist my arm then :rolleyes:

Oh god I'm still working through the mountain of pots and scrumpled up tissues & receipts and entire fucking shopping bags full of seed heads I accumulated last year

Go on , twist my arm then :rolleyes:
I promise to only send cleaned, dried and labelled seeds (yes, I still have numerous bags and wraps of niw completely unidentified seeds from last year. Dog poo bags seem to have been my favoured collection holder...but yep, there are a few crumpled receipts and sweet wrappers.
After drying and cleaning, I usually just fling the chaff outside the front door. I will say that we have an interesting selection of survivors growing through paving cracks and kerbs - the council hold off with spraying the usual Caseron G so in summer, rampant poppies, campanulas and that little Mexican Daisy has displaced the ragwort, fleabane, nipplewort and plantains which generally colonises the hard standing. Seed collecting is VERY addictive.

It's less the processing than the general aargh so many seeds and my being too disorganised to ever sow anything at the proper time...

It's less the processing than the general aargh so many seeds and my being too disorganised to ever sow anything at the proper time...
Yeah, me also...but I am OK with indiscriminate flinging in public areas (Tesco parking edges, local graveyard, various tempting planters and window boxes, other people's gardens)...not to mention nagging all and sundry to 'have a few'.
I will try to find the interesting ones...

In the gloom of endless lockdown, I have been getting regular doses of cheer and hope, delivered daily by my lovely postie. As sure and predictable as sunrise, budburst, nesting birds and lambing, the arrival of the spring plant catalogues are a much anticipated start to another season of gardening joys. Normally, being patient and impoverished, I am able to ignore the seductive photos of glorious plants, in favour of rummaging through my seed collection and ordering a handful of bulbs and tubers. This year though, I have 100+ 2pound coins in my gardening teapot and have promised myself that I will be buying some new plants. And top of my list is the fabulous 6ft tall thalictrum delavayi album 'Splendide'. I always find room for a hardy geranium...but this year, I am going to buy 3 (at least) of Marco Van Noort's 'Jolly Jewel' collection of geranium cinereum. Regarding bulbs - I am going to order some more species lilies, galtonia and a selection of little SA lovelies - babiana, rhodohypoxis, bessera elegans, dierama (still a little obsessed about these), watsonia and gladioli. I also have plans for the spendy, but thrilling eremurus (aka foxtail lilies). Finally, I am not buying dahlia tubers or cuttings, but growing the gorgeous scarlet d.coccinea from seeds(Special Plants), along with my usual long list of seedlings.
O, and I want more epimediums, a gold-leaved, white flowered bleeding hearts (lamphrocapnos, formerly dicentra), daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postil', and mertensia (Virginia bluebells).
Anyone else drooling over catalogues? Having wild hopes for the coming growing season.

Here is a painstakingly researched study of root systems. So cool.

Had a session at the plot today - re-invigorated. Also realised I forgot my youngest offspring's birthday, such has been my recent vague torpor.
Am ordering gladioli bulbs. Many.
Look at that fucking bastard - agropyron repens!

Last edited:
I am wanting to stick a tree down the end of the garden mainly to act as a block from the neighbours behind.. Does anyone know anthing that would fit the bill.. Needs to probably have max height of 6m , but the sooner it gets there the better..

I am wanting to stick a tree down the end of the garden mainly to act as a block from the neighbours behind.. Does anyone know anthing that would fit the bill.. Needs to probably have max height of 6m , but the sooner it gets there the better..
Eucalyptus or willow ?

Eucalyptus are lovely trees and wonderful to watch in the wind, the ones I've seen are a lot higher than 6m though.

I've got a box tree (fairly sure it's a box) which I love dearly and is about 4-5 m after 40 years or so.

Back
Top Bottom