Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Fridge reopening as Electric Brixton

I'm with OU on this, the comparison is a good one, in general.

Actually it's quite clever from Electric Brixton's perspective as Camden has two similar-sized venue (Electric Ballroom and Koko) that it'll be competing with and want to take bookings away from.
The Electric Ballroom is the only thing I like about Camden.

I'm with OU on this, the comparison is a good one, in general.
Yes. We've just got to completely change the character of the High Street, change the demographics of the people who frequent the place and it'll almost be identical!

My only night at love muscle was ruined by someone who had never had pills before. They had been told to double drop as it was "awesome". About an hour later they were freaking out big time and I had to take them home :facepalm:
oh god :D I never had a bad time in there tbh, although I was always absolutely twatted :D God thinking about it is bringing back awesome memories :D *wistful*

Yes. We've just got to completely change the character of the High Street, change the demographics of the people who frequent the place and it'll almost be identical!
Totally what I meant. Thanks for clarifying for me.

camden is just like brixton though, unlike inverness
labyrinthine market - check
gentrification - check
some outsiders thinking they're really brave to go there - check
parking problems - check
lack of adequate public loos - check
tube station - check
bits which even a local person might not find - check
live music venue - check
That's where the similarity ends. I don't remember finding a canal in Brixton, and the 2 markets are aimed at completely different people.

Biggest music scenes:

North of the river: Camden
South of the river: Brixton

On that level they can be compared. And that level is enough for a newspaper article. There isn't some unwritten obligation to go through a detailed comparative analysis.

Biggest music scenes:

North of the river: Camden
South of the river: Brixton

On that level they can be compared. And that level is enough for a newspaper article. There isn't some unwritten obligation to go through a detailed comparative analysis.

Which side of the river is Shoreditch on?

I think a lot of people would say the biggest music scene north of the river was in the east end. Camden has a few large venues that provincial teenagers and tourists go to, and a market that provincial teenagers and tourists go to. It doesn't really have a "music scene" of very much consequence.

I think a lot of people would say the biggest music scene north of the river was in the east end. Camden has a few large venues that provincial teenagers and tourists go to, and a market that provincial teenagers and tourists go to. It doesn't really have a "music scene" of very much consequence.
it's still where many young bands aim to get gigs. getting a gig at barfly is their goal in life. they are shit bands mind.

The general notion is good enough.

Birmingham has more miles of canals than venice, and yet when a place is described as 'The Venice of the North' - such as St Petersburg - people understand the meaning without quibbling over size of the canal networks of various cities.

which is why it's just like brixton in many ways

The new murals (giant speakers) on the Electric are not as bad as feared.

They are made from a poster-like material though, so may look tatty quite quickly

The new murals (giant speakers) on the Electric are not as bad as feared.

They are made from a poster-like material though, so may look tatty quite quickly

I think they look good too. Would imagine they are easy enough to change too?

um. what the fuck. hard-fi were one of the best bands ive seen all year. tight as fuck. hard-fi. maybe i need to get out more.

sound at the new venue was a bit shonky. and possibly employing more than 5 bar staff for the huge main bar, and also people who have previous bar experience (and not more interested in talking about their new nailpolish than serving punters) might be one improvement

I think they've done a really good job with the venue. The interior's lovely, lighting was ace, and I thought the sound was actually pretty good.

Gabi's point about the bar is entirely true. I guess that's why they've done 2 soft launches but I can't see how they're going to improve much by the weekend. It was nearly as bad in the upstairs bar, and considering that was largely free, it should have been a lot quicker.

They've done a canny thing building the little smoking area upstairs. Should prevent loads of people spilling onto the street to have a fag in the middle of the night and causing a load of noise.

Overall, a win I'd say :)

Another weird thing about the bar - first time we ordered it was £2.50 a pint, the next time it had jumped to £4 and the last time I went up it had gone up to $4.10. wtf is that all about?

Another weird thing about the bar - first time we ordered it was £2.50 a pint, the next time it had jumped to £4 and the last time I went up it had gone up to $4.10. wtf is that all about?

Customer specific pricing ;)

that could be the case ;)

i wasn't exactly over the moon at waiting over half an hour for a drink so im sure my face reflected that by the time i got served. altho nowhere near as pissed off as others. i thought there might be a riot at one point.

Back
Top Bottom