Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of cash?

I’d had £35 in my wallet since before lockdown, but I spent it on a haircut a couple of weeks ago. Don’t think I’ll ever need to bother with cash again.

yeah I quite often go out leaving my wallet at home now. Especially if just going to the gym or something. I might buy a smoothie or get some shopping on the way back but it’s all done with my phone. I don’t travel often but I’m even less likely to use cash abroad.

The only time I use cash actually recently is with a local taxi firm. I mean I use Uber a lot but sometimes I need to speak to someone when booking a cab and they don’t reliably take card payments.

Expensive hair cut.

Yes. I’d stopped paying barbers and had been getting my wife to run the clippers over me every so often, but I had a funeral to go to and wanted my hair and beard to look respectable. Priced everywhere seem to have doubled, and this was a very basic high street gent’s barbershop.

I just have a card only wallet, can slip some notes in it but no change, feels a lot better in the pocket.

Plus my three point check (wallet, keys, phone) before I leave anywhere is so ingrained I think my mind would collapse completely if I stopped carrying a wallet.

I've recently stopped nicotine, so that mind thing feels very real. Many years of baccy and then vapes and it feels weird to go out so light.

Never liked wallets which can't take change, if I've got to use cash, I've got to use it warts and all and I just loose change if I don't have a proper place to keep it. Not having to deal with change is one of the reasons I love being cashless.

Never liked wallets which can't take change, if I've got to use cash, I've got to use it warts and all and I just loose change if I don't have a proper place to keep it. Not having to deal with change is one of the reasons I love being cashless.
My wallet can take £8 in small change as I discovered last week.

Is it really that triggering to pay with cash in a takeaway?

I should add I rarely pay with cash myself and am not a cash evangelist,

It isn’t always an extra job, if you have cash on you. And in my case even though I don’t typically have any notes on me I was going to the shop to get beer anyway and there was a cash point there

Paid the £13 for my hair and beard cut with a £20 even though I could have paid with a card. I think they will end up with more when paid with cash but I don't know where they have to bank it as the bank right across the road closed its doors a year or so ago.

I haven't paid in cash in a shop or pub since before lockdown. I only need cash for the window cleaner, even my children are paid in invisible money for their allowance every week.

I dunno how you guys manage it. Don't have a clue what my pin number is any more.
I have said this a few times on this thread but as you've asked freshly.

My childhood wasn't flooded with money. We had bottles for this, that, Pools man, you name it. As I grew older, having cash in my hand was how I knew to budget.

I can see, from where I'm typing this, about 30 quid in 20p coins, a tenner in 10ps, my tub of 50ps for the launderette. In my wallet is £20 in fivers.

I've noticed that my card/contactless use is increasing and I need to keep that in check. One very recent example: the pub I really like has ramped up its prices. The card against the machine means nothing, the tenner being returned as £4.10 in coins? That tells me to not just blindly pay for everything without seeing the consequences .

I dunno how you guys manage it. Don't have a clue what my pin number is any more.
all my cards use the first ever pin number from my first ever bank card (1988) as you can change the pin for them, it is sort of burnt in my useable memory
e2a: I always carry some cash, which once lost is lost though (recent experience at an airbnb)

I have said this a few times on this thread but as you've asked freshly.

My childhood wasn't flooded with money. We had bottles for this, that, Pools man, you name it. As I grew older, having cash in my hand was how I knew to budget.

I can see, from where I'm typing this, about 30 quid in 20p coins, a tenner in 10ps, my tub of 50ps for the launderette. In my wallet is £20 in fivers.

I've noticed that my card/contactless use is increasing and I need to keep that in check. One very recent example: the pub I really like has ramped up its prices. The card against the machine means nothing, the tenner being returned as £4.10 in coins? That tells me to not just blindly pay for everything without seeing the consequences .
So you like to pay by cash because your mum had no cash, and then you tell some other story about your favourite pub. Is that it?

I had to pay a builder in cash this week. £2,960. It took me about 10 minutes standing in an HSBC using a combination of non-HSBC cards to slowly and painfully get out £300 at a time from a cash machine. I then had to wonder around London all day with an uncomfortably large amount of money on my person. All in tenners too — 296 notes is a hell of a brick. I did not enjoy any part of this experience.

I had to pay a builder in cash this week. £2,960. It took me about 10 minutes standing in an HSBC using a combination of non-HSBC cards to slowly and painfully get out £300 at a time from a cash machine. I then had to wonder around London all day with an uncomfortably large amount of money on my person. All in tenners too — 296 notes is a hell of a brick. I did not enjoy any part of this experience.

Jesus. I hope they spilt some of that 20% discount with you.

Back
Top Bottom