Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The dog thread is better than the cat thread, because it features dogs.

Oh ice-is-forming i don’t envy you having to make the decision, it’s not an easy one when the animal still has some quality of life, or isn’t in pain
With my old cat I waited, put off having her pts. She did die at home but I don’t know that the hour or two of her slowly passing were kinder or more comfortable than the the swift passing from an injection. My old dog, as soon as it was clear he would always be in pain and unable to walk or jump easily and stoned on pain meds, we called the vet out and cried with him and over him as we sent him off.
Love and solidarity to you during this time ❤️🐶

ice-is-forming - this may not be particularly relevant, but one of the worst things I went through was seeing one of my pet budgies die at home without any medical intervention. One of my biggest regrets, because it took hours and wasn't at all peaceful and I am sure the wee mite suffered (it happened overnight and we couldn't get him to a vet), it was actually horrific. :(

At least when I have had animals euthanised it is quick and painless. (Very quick)

There is a saying that it is better a day too soon than a day too late - I am not sure I wholly agree with that tbh but it depends upon a rational examination of the quality of life of the animal involved.

Some people do prefer to give their pets palliative end of life care at home and let them die naturally, but that is not always good and peaceful although we wish it were a good way to go!

But it's up to you, we can all blah at you with our own thoughts and experiences, but you know your dog best and will judge it on that, which is only right. There is no absolute right or wrong here.

Last edited:
I just want to add to the above (which reads a bit clinical) that I feel for you so much when you are dealing with this.
I'm never going to get over the loss of my dead cats and the decision to have them put to sleep is never easy - and it shouldn't be easy, if it didn't make us feel like crap and really guilty there would be something seriously wrong with us.
That doesn't mean it's the wrong thing to do, but I think the soulsearching and whatifs are very normal and understandable.
Love to you xx

Epona thank you 🌻 He's perked up a bit today. I suppose it's a bit like having a very old relative, they'd have to have a lot of very bad days in a row for me to consider it, plus have a diagnosis and/or be in pain. Other than just being very old. He's been laying in the sun, and just made it up the steps without having to think about it too much, so he gets to live another day. Yay.

I’m definitely in the ‘better too soon…’ camp. When we had Lucy pts we knew she would probably have another month or two, possibly more. She had cancer so not an old age thing. But she was asleep a lot, started to not look comfortable on the max cocktail of drugs she could have without completely sedating her and she hadn’t had a walk for months.

We felt really guilty that it might not be time yet but the vet was so supportive and kind and I know we made the right choice for her. I would have done anything to have another couple of months with her but it would have been for me.

It’s fucking hard ice-is-forming, thinking of you.

Last edited:
ice-is-forming

Full sympathy for you and love coming from me to you.

I have never owned a dog but growing up we always had dogs in our house. When I was about 12 we had to put our beloved collie cross breed to sleep. He was a sweet and placid dog and he was with us since I was aged four.

When we made the decision I cried my eyes out for 3 days.

I mourned for him more than I have done for any person I have in life. Such is the amazing effect these wonderful canines have on our lives

We’re in a holiday cottage which is very much not dog friendly. We were told it was an enclosed garden. That’s very flimsy chicken wire that they could get over and probably through. It’s also so loose at the bottom they could get under too. Next to it is a field and the A30.
This is Humphrey planning his escape.
CDB8F334-3B13-4324-B8F2-219ED1739F57.jpeg
The welcome book also says dogs can’t go upstairs which wasn’t stated anywhere until the day we arrived.

Having complained about both, we got up this morning to find Humphrey has pissed up the incredibly uncomfortable sofa. I’ve just got back with various chemicals we are patch testing on the back. 😡😩

Albert has obviously been the perfect house guest because he is an angel.
685ABBDD-25A5-4026-BC87-5F8D08E2FEA5.jpeg

Our new dogs continue to be lovely but I am told by my OH they carry a potent dog smell about them (my sense of smell is almost non-functional), and visiting friends have admitted under pressure that our place also smells a bit of it.

So we’re thinking a bath is due, but we don’t know whether they have had one before, and I have zero experience on gjving dogs a bath. Any basic dos and don’ts?

Our new dogs continue to be lovely but I am told by my OH they carry a potent dog smell about them (my sense of smell is almost non-functional), and visiting friends have admitted under pressure that our place also smells a bit of it.

So we’re thinking a bath is due, but we don’t know whether they have had one before, and I have zero experience on gjving dogs a bath. Any basic dos and don’ts?
Keep their collars on, or a slip lead, as a wet wriggly dog is very hard to grasp
Just a few inches (inch or two in your case with dachshunds) of warm water, so it’s not too scary and strange for them.
Don’t use too much shampoo, and use a mild one for dogs in case they are sensitive to it. The more you put on, the more you have to rinse off. I have a plastic cup I use for rinsing, as I don’t have a shower. They may like shower, they may hate it. Make it as stress-free as possible the first time, so you don’t put them off. Have more towels ready than you think you’ll need.
Don’t get water in their ears.
Expect to get very wet

Ben's not over fond of the rain or baths, but will usually happily splash into streams or the sea.

We find that sea swimming helps his coat, if he dries off naturally [salt in] it seems to be a good degreaser / de-odouriser.
Actually, even when it is very cold he's in the water !

Have you got a shower? When we had one fitted it was a game changer, especially for those shitty arse moments which seem to happen often with one of ours. It’s an enclosed space so they can’t jump out.

It does kill your back a bit but so does bathing them and if your shower is big enough you can just get on the floor.

When they used to have baths we would sometimes get in with them too in our underwear.

Have you got a shower? When we had one fitted it was a game changer, especially for those shitty arse moments which seem to happen often with one of ours. It’s an enclosed space so they can’t jump out.

It does kill your back a bit but so does bathing them and if your shower is big enough you can just get on the floor.

When they used to have baths we would sometimes get in with them too in our underwear.
Yes we do. Somehow though I would imagine any dogs (or most other pets) disliking being bathed might hate being sprayed upon with a shower head even more.

Yes we do. Somehow though I would imagine any dogs (or most other pets) disliking being bathed might hate being sprayed upon with a shower head even more.
I was quite surprised at how well they manage it. We’re careful not to spray directly on their heads but they do need their faces washed.

Back
Top Bottom