Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The disused Thameslink platforms at Barbican station, London - photos

editor

hiraethified
abandonded-tracks-barbican-2.jpg

abandonded-tracks-barbican-3.jpg

Me and memespring came across these disused platforms at Barbican and initially couldn't work out why they has been closed.

We knew it must be something to do with Crossrail, but it seems that the Moorgate branch had to close because of the extension to the nearby Farringdon station.

One thing that came up when I was researching this: I didn't know that Barbican was the scene of a 'anarchist bombing' back in 1897.

Can anyone source a large pre-war photo of the station with its roof intact?

More here: http://www.urban75.org/blog/the-disused-thameslink-platforms-at-barbican-station-london/

I've still got my souvenir ticket from the last evening of Thameslink services to Moorgate. If I can find it, I'll scan it and let you have a copy if you like editor

Slightly off record - but the Circle (then the Met and the District) in the 19thC had a series of anarchist incidents - Edgware Road / Paddington seemed to be a common venue for these "atrocities"- must do some research from A A Jacksons seminal book.

Course , large bangs were caused by their own locomotives blowing up - ...

For comparison:

Google Maps

(a lot of the development is behind the church)

They had a small exhibition up about the construction of the site when I was in there a couple of weeks ago (near the cafe bit)

Back
Top Bottom