Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Dark Knight Rises (SPOILED)

Talia would surely have just detonated the bomb as soon as she knew that Bruce had returned. The reason the league didn't do so initally was to torture Bruce by making him watch Gotham get destroyed but at the point he starts to lead the resistance they had everything to lose and nothing to gain by continuing to fight. Unless of course some sort of physical victory over batman prior to the destruction was part of the MO of their revenge. On that last point why would Talia have wanted to avenge her father's death given that he cast her and her childhood protector out into the cold?
It was obviously very important to Talia for Bruce to know why everything was happening. Textbook monologuing.

In the podcast I linked to earlier someone says that after a heist the newspaper 'Gotham Guardian' Spells heist wrongly :) (might have been tdk)

Saw it last night, enjoyed it, but still a bit 'meh' overall.

Pacing was weird, the dialogue was at several points drowned out by the incidental music (Hans Zimmer doesn't do subtle it seems) and Michael Caine overacted to the point of ridiculousness.

On the other hand, Anne Hathaway was very good, Hardy did a decent job with a fairly rubbish character and Joeseph Gordon-Levitt continues to impress.

Suffered from a little too much '3rd-film overload' of characters, which I hoped Nolan would steer clear of, but the action set pieces were very good (and the fights were actually well shot, not too many quick cuts)

Will watch again, but to me it didn't match up to either of it's predecessors.

...and the assistance of malleable, vengeful and nihilistic masses. I think the film was essentially Dickensian in its message (indeed, parts of the plot are based on a Tale of Two Cities): it recognises certain injustices under the status quo but warns that the alternatives are far worse. Trickle-down economics, plutocratic philanthropy and the rolling back of civil liberties are presented as the solutions whilst collective political projects and radical transformation are doomed to fall under the sway of demagogues.

My sentiments exactly. I've just seen it, and it's a long time (maybe never) since I've hated a film this much.

I don't think the ideological stinkiness was deliberate, just the result of confused people just firing out tropes and cliches more or less at random.

If I had been sitting in a row of people who didn't deserve to have their evening out disrupted by an incensed Irishman, I would have walked out.

Hathaway was good - the only good thing in the film maybe, though the wee lad who played Robin wasn't bad - but even there I thought Diana Rigg did this sort of thing much better in the Avengers, nearly fifty years ago.

I don't think the ideological stinkiness was deliberate, just the result of confused people just firing out tropes and cliches more or less at random.

In terms of politics and morality the film was all over the place. Some dubious messages for sure, but they were so ham-fistedly put across that they just felt like afterthoughts put in to make what was a straightforward if not particularly well-exceuted action movie seem like something more important.

The Dark Knight wasn't much different tbh, with the whole 'let's protect the people from the truth' denouement leaving a particularly nasty taste in the mouth, but at least there was a coherent moral conflict at the centre of the film and enough ambiguity to leave the audience to make their own decision about who, if anyone, is worth sympathising with.

All the characters in 'Rises' were basically action movie staples. Selina Kyle the self-seeking femme fatale who cannot help but turn good when exposed to the goodness of the hero, Bane the nutcase who wants to blow up a city because of...some reason nobody ever bothers to explain, Tait the honey-trap betrayer, Morgan Freeman as Morgan Freeman and Batman the immortal, unstoppable, incorruptible and thus really quite dull hero. The political nonsense, the Dickensian touches, the backstories and all that silliness with the climbing all felt like stuff that had been put in to cover up the fact that the actual plot wasn't up to much.

Bane the nutcase who wants to blow up a city because of...some reason nobody ever bothers to explain
Because he was a member of the League of Shadows, a fanatical organisation that had been seeking for years to destroy Gotham by one method or another in order to fulfil its mission of reigning in the decadent excesses of Western civilisation.

It was quite well explained.

... all that silliness with the climbing all felt like stuff that had been put in to cover up the fact that the actual plot wasn't up to much.
The bit where the dark knight rises while everyone shouts 'RISE!' in a film called The Dark Knight Rises? I think that's part of the plot.

Because he was a member of the League of Shadows, a fanatical organisation that had been seeking for years to destroy Gotham by one method or another in order to fulfil its mission of reigning in the decadent excesses of Western civilisation.

It was quite well explained.
Right at the end!

all three films tie together really well, espcially BB and TDKR , and its all there and explained in front of you ;)

I dont know if it helped that i saw the first 2 in the week before i watched TDKR :)

Saw it on Monday, by myself, in a VIP seat. Loved it. Opening scene is awesome. Yes, Michael Caine was hamming it up big time emotionally, yes it's a bit of a silly plot, but enjoyable none the less. Saw the twist coming from a mile away but was surprised at how they delivered it.

Triviality here, but I just re-watched Robocop for the first time in years tonight and a scene got me thinking. In that scene where Bane kills Dagget I remember that he quite tenderly strokes his hair before he grabs him and breaks his kneck. When I watched it I thought it was a strange little touch and also one that reminded me of something I'd seen before. I'm pretty sure it was this:

I wonder if it was an influence? Or is hair stroking before betraying and killing a recurring cinematic trope?

It was an odd moment. It was actually quite a light touch, and I took it to mean tgat, even with such a light touch, Bane made Dagget feel powerless.

Or something.

Saw it last night, overall I enjoyed it, at the time, but it is full of plot holes which was somewhat distracting and it is silly in places, in a bad way that is, as it is silly pretending to be serious.

Though the different angle on Robin (compared to previous films) was done well, as was Cat Woman, but overall too long and should of had those plot holes taken out before release.

Went to see this last night and really enjoyed it......bit too long and imo still not quite as good as the second film.....much better than the first one though !

So in the end, Bane was just a side kick, much as he was in Batman and Robin to Uma Thurman?
Yeah, I did think this rather undermined his character. I suppose it was supposed to give him depth, that he cared for something/one, but it just rendered him a bit lame to be honest, like none of it was actually his idea and he was little more than a hired goon.

I only saw this today. Not being the world greatest Christopher Nolan fan, to my surprise I actually really enjoyed it. Curiously it shares a major plot twist with the James Bond film The World is Not Enough: the apparent main villain turns out to be a henchman, while the real criminal mastermind who pulls the strings is the romantic interest. Setting up an origin story which is revealed as a plot twist at the end is a ploy the film has in common with this years Bond (Robin/Moneypenny) The only thing that slightly bothered me was that the passing of time and distances is never properly conveyed. Batman spends months in the pit, but it didn't feel like it and how does he even make it back to Gotham after his ordeal ? I also never quite believed the way Gotham descends into anarchy and couldn't make out what the citizens role in its change was.

I didn't think The Dark Knight was quite as amazing as many people did, so I suppose didn't go in with expectations that were too high. To me this was more or less on the same level, despite lacking a character as compelling as Ledger's Joker. Anne Hathaway's Catwoman comes close enough though and is great fun. This is probably the first Christopher Nolan film that has reasonably well developed female characters.

I did see this at the BFI Imax and the change back and forth between Imax and conventionally 35mm film has the effect of the 35mm scenes look bad in comparison, the the Imax scenes do look quite spectacular.

:D

Found both films an anti-climax, really expected something great but neither delivered. I am not a fan of Nolan though so...

Aye, I'd concur with that, tho I was far more interested in DKR than Alien Begins.

Still can't understand why DKR was so weak when it was written by the same guys as DK :confused:

...Curiously it shares a major plot twist with the James Bond film The World is Not Enough: the apparent main villain turns out to be a henchman, while the real criminal mastermind who pulls the strings is the romantic interest....
Anyone who knows Batman knows Ra's had a daughter (Talia), not a son - a Batman fact for a long time so it was more of an in joke. My 17 year old daughter said this during the film long before the 'twist' was revealed (Dad...HE can't be Ra's son! it must be.....ooh it must be her!).

Back
Top Bottom