Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Batman (2022)

Different universe but have you seen any of Moon Knight yet? I’m finding it brilliant so far.
Why would I watch that, considering I just wrote that I'm done with superheroes for a while ? :confused:

Last edited:
Why would I watch that, considering I just wrote that I'm done with superheroes for a while ? :confused:
Because it is rather different to the usual superhero stock and you might like it despite your current fatigue of the genre.

Because it is rather different to the usual superhero stock and you might like it despite your current fatigue of the genre.
…but there are a gazillion superhero-free alternatives. I have about 20 TV series and 500 Films in my to-watch list.

I’m well aware of what’s out there. Of the MCU tv series I enjoyed WandaVision but I gave up on the others after one or two episodes.

The reviews let me believe that The Batman was something newish, but it wasn’t. It was just an even more glum itineration of the same old thing. It tries very hard to be a David Fincher film, but I’d rather rewatch Zodiac or Seven than this watered down superhero version.

I’m not pro or anti superhero movies and tv. I never read the comics but I think any subject matter be made to work when executed right. The MCU films have seen a drastic drop in quality with the new phase, the tv series aren’t all that and I found The Batman extremely boring, so for me it’s time for a break.

Last edited:
Saw it yesterday and I admit wanting to hate it. I've been a massive DC comics fan since the 80's and have most of the graphic novels (and a few action figures :( )

I thought it was good, pulled from some good runs, although thought Bruce was too emo, but kinda expected it. Not like any other Batman film out there :)

Nice and dark, some touches of saw and seven in there

Although the Riddlers face was too round (much like Nicholson's Joker) and thought they made him too Jokery iykwim.

8/10 Hopefully they can keep it up.

Finally saw it. A lot of cinematic big releases look dark as fuck already on my TV so I was fearing the worst here given the memes about it, but to my surprise it wasn’t unduly dark at all. Perhaps Virgin ramped up the brightness level for it. The length of the film wasn’t a drag either.

As to what I thought of it, I generally enjoyed it. The one aspect that put me off was the utterly joylessness of it all, and poor win/ lose balance against the antagonists.

Other than preventing the beating/ mugging of a civilian by common lowlife thugs, he’s pretty much useless, outsmarted and unable to prevent most of the dastardly plans and actions carried out by the baddies. Just about manages to downgrade the politician woman from being killed to seriously wounded, but that’s it.

I’m all for for a degree of grittiness, drama, setbacks and collateral damage in a given superhero film, but still expect to see some minor victories to balance it out a bit, so you are not left feeling at the end of the film that the superhero is about as useful as a motorcycle ashtray. If I want to watch a film about the antagonist consistently beating the good guys with a depressing feel and no happy payoffs whatsoever, I’ll stick to Se7en

Back
Top Bottom