Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Dark Knight Rises (SPOILED)

but yeah Hathaway was the best thing in it, had a sense of irony about her.

think I'll have to see it again to get a better view on it, easy to get sucked up in the event of the blockbuster at the cinema.

I've found nearly all Nolan films to be most enjoyable on the second viewing.

Yeah, he's got a real skill for layering. His films are like jigsaw puzzles for the mind. You tend to notice all sorts of patterns and themes and metaphors and connections that you didn't notice the first time on second viewing.

With both Inception and The Prestige I was left feeling a bit 'meh' immediately after seeing them, but then kept thinking about them and a few days later thought 'That was really good! I want to see it again!'

The Prestige fairs well on repeat watch. Inception gets even more boring than the first time round however...

I like the sub-theme of elbowing people in the face and then kneeing them in the chest... a lot.

I noticed that Bats does some awesome 'beat loads of baddies up all at once' sequences in TDR that are more than a little reminiscent of Arkham Asylum, more so than the other films..

I had a decidedly mixed reaction to this. The pacing of the film was way off, the script was great in places and pretty cheesy in others. Christian Bale was solid but fairly dull as usual but the rest of the cast were very good. Gordon-Levitt's character was more interesting than I thought he would be and Anne Hathaway was (and I never thought I'd say this) fantastic in what could easily have been a fairly pointless role.

Tom Hardy didn't have a lot to do, but he did it well enough. Bane didn't really feel like a proper character in the same way Ledger's Joker did, and the twist at the end kind of undermined what little characterisation there was. Cotillard's character was a bit of a non-entity as well.

The sound mixing felt decidedly off in places, with either the music or the background effects often smothering the dialogue. I did like Bane's voice though. The visuals were excellent, less self-consciously gothic and gloomy than the previous two installments and all the better for it. I really liked the sudden shift to a snow-covered Gotham, and Cillian Murphy's courtroom was a nice concession to comic book daftness.

I liked the nods to A Tale of Two Cities, which were effective right up to the point where Nolan has one of his characters actually quote from the book right at the end :facepalm:

I want to go and see it again, I know that much. It was a good conclusion to a good trilogy. It just wasn't quite as good as it thought it was.

I would say it was a mixed message. What enabled Bane to take over the city? Aggressive, predatory capitalism (personified by Daggett) aided by laissez-faire liberalism (Bruce Wayne).

I wouldn't spend to much time pondering the political implications of these films tbh.

The one interesting thing about this one was how it attacked the idea of the politician as a figurehead. There was a strong implication that the idea of Harvey Dent as a martyr and a hero had been created by politicians to allow them to do nasty things in the name of fighting crime. It was good to see this film turn away from something that felt like a pretty dodgy message in the previous film.

I like the idiots who thought that the character Bane was somehow named after a company vaguely linked to (insert obviously made-up name of American politician here) when everyone knows Bane has been a staple of the Batman franchise for twenty years, long before the Republicans' big cloning tank had even spat out (insert obviously made-up name of American politician here) never mind his silly company.

Really, really enjoyed it, but I have a question.

Did Batman die (literally, not metaphorically) at the end or not?

well it would appear the ' the batman ' or the legend of ' the batman ' died , hence the statue, however it left it open to be ressurected by John blake ( well thats what i thought ;) )

well it would appear the ' the batman ' or the legend of ' the batman ' died , hence the statue, however it left it open to be ressurected by John blake ( well thats what i thought ;) )

Not quite what I meant. I just meant did Bruce Wayne get nuked.

erm, did you not watch the last scene ? with Alfred in the cafe ? ;)

from that id say no bruce wayne did not die, but wiped his identity from existance with the clean slate and buggered off to have lovin action with catwoman for the rest of his days ! ( good lad!! )

erm, did you not watch the last scene ? with Alfred in the cafe ? ;)

from that id say no bruce wayne did not die, but wiped his identity from existace with the clean slate and buggered off to have lovin action with catwoman for the rest of his days ! ( good lad!! )

Yes, that was the most obvious clunky ending.

Though I thought it quite likely (given the shot of Batman in the 'Bat' a couple of secs before detonation), that this was similar to Wayne seeing Ra's al Ghul when he was in the bizarre implausible prison. Though more of a half-hallucination that he recognised he was having (he saw someone who looked like Wayne and let his imagination run with it).

There is the thing about the auto-pilot apparently being fixed too, that def works in favour of the more obvious interpretation.

it think the auto pilot scene screams the clunky ending at you , but i can see where youd think it could have been Alfred tripping, , except that selina Kyle was also in the scene, and she was the one who wanted the clean slate to start with :)

it think the auto pilot scene screams the clunky ending at you , but i can see where youd think it could have been Alfred tripping, , except that selina Kyle was also in the scene, and she was the one who wanted the clean slate to start with :)

Yeah, the auto pilot does, but then he's on the Bat very shortly before it gets nuked.

Also Alfred's reaction is pretty muted (even for him). I think it's deliberately done so that it could be interpreted as either a symbolic or a literal ending.

Alfred's reaction is pretty muted because, when he was talking about that scene ealier in the film with Bruce, he said we would see each other but not acknowledge or speak to each other. or something very similar.

Alfred's reaction is pretty muted because, when he was talking about that scene ealier in the film with Bruce, he said we would see each other but not acknowledge or speak to each other. or something very similar.

True, but that in the fantasy he was having while Bruce was away.
Reality always turns out differently, so the way everyone behaved as in his fantasy lends credence to the idea it was a fantasy, and also a metaphor for Bruce now being free of 'the bat'.

Plus I prefer it to the clunkiness, :)

well looks like im not going to convince you what ever i say ;)

but thats the beauty of it, different peoples interpretation of it :)

although i am right :D

well looks like im not oging to convinve you what ever i say ;)

but thats the beauty of it, different peoples interpretation of it :)

although i am right :D

Well, I'm not sure I'm right, but I think there's a good chance its meant to be ambiguous. Had a quick Google and I wasn't the only person to pick up on this.

Yet to read the thread, but it all seemed like the production was rather rushed. What the fuck was up with the script and editing?

TDK > TDKR

Will be interesting watching it again at IMAX.

It was good. Had fun playing Spot the Actor- Teal'c from Stargate, Littlefinger from Game of Thrones, creepy rape guy from Torchwood.

Some of the most blatant foreshadowing- "This chamber is designed to flood if necessary" etc. Revolutionary Gotham didn't seem all that bad to me.:D

It was good. Had fun playing Spot the Actor- Teal'c from Stargate, Littlefinger from Game of Thrones, creepy rape guy from Torchwood.

Some of the most blatant foreshadowing- "This chamber is designed to flood if necessary" etc. Revolutionary Gotham didn't seem all that bad to me.:D

I'm co Godfather with Burn Gorman :D True Story.

Quinn from Dexter

Back
Top Bottom