Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Daily Mail is saying Unions are to blame for DVLA backlog of HGV Licenses

Don’t the DVSA do driving tests and not the DVLA?
There's a bit of a mix there, 'friends in the pub' ;) have told me ;)

However, I've spent almost all of my time in hospital :( since mid-July (now recovering :) ) so I've got out of touch with most of those 'friends' ;)

The DVSA is mainly about vehicle safety regulations, 'so I'm told', but the DVLA has a lot more to do with processsing HGV (driving) licence renewals, and, yes, some initial applications too.

Drivers Medical (DVLA) has a vast amount to do about whether drivers are safe to drive, and given how many older drivers are (still) wanting to stay on the road, that part is immensely important -- all HGV applicants and (especially!) renewers have to fill in a D4 (medical) form -- their Drs are involved!!! -- as well as a D2 (HGV licence application or renewal) form.
So the processes for vehicles and their drivers that have anything 'Vocational' about them is and always has been immensely complicated. Correctly!!

Would your average Daily Mail reader want an underqualified HGV-driver's vehicle crashing into the back of their car on the M4? :hmm: :mad:

See Strike! thread for recent DVLA strikes, also check PCS site (sorry, can't do DVLA-detail for you there! :oops: ) for some better perspective than you'll get from the fucking D**ly M**l :mad: :mad: -- the DM has always been my most hated Toryscum paper!!! :mad:

(Some people from 'up there' that I know best in Swansea ;) deal with general vehicle casework (insurance-related) -- pranged cars mainly, and mainly pranged by other cars :eek: -- plus one or two other mates who are on phonelines in the callcentre. Almost all relevant persons that I drink with ;) have been on strike at various points. For reasons the scumbag Daily Mail and most of its shit-ignorant readers will never properly appreciate!! :mad: )

Last edited:
The DVSA is mainly about vehicle safety regulations, 'so I'm told', but the DVLA has a lot more to do with processsing HGV (driving) licence renewals, and, yes, some initial applications too.

my understanding (from the perspective of someone who has a bus / coach licence but it's a while since i got it) is that DVLA issues the provisional licence so long as you pass the initial medical, and issue licences at renewal time (for lorry and bus drivers, you have to renew and do a new medical - not the self declaration thing that car drivers do at 70) every 5 years after you turn 45, and every year after you turn 65

DVSA carry out the driving tests, so when you get a pass certificate from the DVSA driving examiner, you send this with your provisional licence to DVLA and they will send you a full licence.

The Traffic Commissioners also get involved in consideration of any 'fit and proper person' issues round lorry / bus drivers and can suspend the PCV / LGV bit of a licence for a driving offence even if you're allowed to keep your car licence. They can also suspend / refuse licences over non driving issues (for bus drivers at least) e.g. sex offences.

Would your average Daily Mail reder want an underqualified GHV-driver's vehicle crashing into the back of their car on the M4? :hmm: :mad:

they would blame jeremy corbyn...

As if a militant Trotskyite union leader would miss an opportunity to paralyse Britain. Working conditions for DVLA staff are PCS Union's top priority.. Oh, and corruption, fraud, mismanagement, self interest, holding the country to ransom, destroying capitalism, bringing down the Tory government, and joining the Warsaw Pact.
If you don't like British unions, leave.

If you don't like British unions, leave.
Unions and guilds should strive to improve: production, precision, innovation, efficiency, work environment and pursue excellence for the common good.
That is the difference between German & Japanese and British unions. The British militant unions think it a grands days work if production is sabotaged.. and pursue one single purpose.. to bring the country one small tiny step closer to destruction.
It's in their blood.. they just can't stop themselves.

Unions and guilds should strive to improve: production, precision, innovation, efficiency, work environment and pursue excellence for the common good.
That is the difference between German & Japanese and British unions. The British militant unions think it a grands days work if production is sabotaged.. and pursue one single purpose.. to bring the country one small tiny step closer to destruction.
It's in their blood.. they just can't stop themselves.
And again I am proved wrong, Time Travel is Possible since someone is posting from the 1970's

In my ignorance of Unions, I wonder if there is anyone whom is qualified to post, concisely, and in Laymans terms, as to why the Unions have comparatively little power these days?

As I understand it;

Unions have been almost constantly defanged since the miners strike and now have very little ability to support their members to the extent they are needed. Foreign temporary workers (who typically make up a large portion of the workforce in industries where workers traditionally joined unions) are also statistically less likely to actually join or seek out unions

Couple that with a rise in the fragmentary nature of office work and the varied roles in those, means that unions have not been able to get a toehold in those terribly well.

Agreed. Can you suggest practical ideas that help us to achieve our purpose?
Sure.
Step 1 = passionately believe in the false German prophet.
2/ enforce equality across the board by: quotas, law, activism, destruction downwards.
3/ Ignore & dismiss our brain's Bayesian decision making set up in our DNA. (And in all animal & mammal life on earth).
4/ Drum into pupils students and staff at all schools and universities that it is not for genetics to decide we are equal ---- it is for society to decide, on a moral basis, that we are equal and different. Even if the wreckless pursuit kills us all in the process.
5/ destroy all forms of heresy: family, religion, private education (except for our leaders), private healthcare, gender identification, scientific methodology.
6/ Remember Hierarchies are evil, and the work of the tyranny of the white male patriarch.

That's enough for now..

Is a wreckless pursuit like a car chase where everyone involved is very good at driving?

Sure.
Step 1 = passionately believe in the false German prophet.
2/ enforce equality across the board by: quotas, law, activism, destruction downwards.
3/ Ignore & dismiss our brain's Bayesian decision making set up in our DNA. (And in all animal & mammal life on earth).
4/ Drum into pupils students and staff at all schools and universities that it is not for genetics to decide we are equal ---- it is for society to decide, on a moral basis, that we are equal and different. Even if the wreckless pursuit kills us all in the process.
5/ destroy all forms of heresy: family, religion, private education (except for our leaders), private healthcare, gender identification, scientific methodology.
6/ Remember Hierarchies are evil, and the work of the tyranny of the white male patriarch.

That's enough for now..

Thanks, I will draw your plan to the attention of fellow militant Trotskyite Marxists for immediate implementation. Once done I look forward to the collapse of society. Cheers!

In my ignorance of Unions, I wonder if there is anyone whom is qualified to post, concisely, and in Laymans terms, as to why the Unions have comparatively little power these days?
The 1985-85 miners strike had a big impact on a reduced union membership IMHO. If the most powerful UK union (who had effectively brought down a government in 1974) couldn't win, what hope was there for other unions? That's why Thatcher pulled out all the stops to beat Scargill, pour encourager les autres, and as revenge for 1974.

Plus, as others have said, a whole lot of anti-union legislation making things much harder - no secondary picketing, strict balloting etc etc - employers also became empowered and took liberties knowing they would face less opposition from unions.

That's not to say they are powerless - I've personally benefitted from my union fighting my corner, and I know of several colleagues at current and former jobs who would've been up shit creek if they hadn't had the union behind them. If membership is on the rise, that's great.

A lot depends on the strength of the local branch, it seems to me - density of membership, and the commitment of its officers. I was one for 18 months and it did my head in, the number of members having problems with the employer and seeking advice and representation, in some cases I could help, but in others I had to pass them over to the regional office who er didn't always fill us with confidence. Fortunately I was replaced by a fantastic officer who was an absolute diamond with endless energy and enthusiasm.

The 1985-85 miners strike had a big impact on a reduced union membership IMHO. If the most powerful UK union (who had effectively brought down a government in 1974) couldn't win, what hope was there for other unions? That's why Thatcher pulled out all the stops to beat Scargill, pour encourager les autres, and as revenge for 1974.

Plus, as others have said, a whole lot of anti-union legislation making things much harder - no secondary picketing, strict balloting etc etc - employers also became empowered and took liberties knowing they would face less opposition from unions.

That's not to say they are powerless - I've personally benefitted from my union fighting my corner, and I know of several colleagues at current and former jobs who would've been up shit creek if they hadn't had the union behind them. If membership is on the rise, that's great.

A lot depends on the strength of the local branch, it seems to me - density of membership, and the commitment of its officers. I was one for 18 months and it did my head in, the number of members having problems with the employer and seeking advice and representation, in some cases I could help, but in others I had to pass them over to the regional office who er didn't always fill us with confidence. Fortunately I was replaced by a fantastic officer who was an absolute diamond with endless energy and enthusiasm.
Thank you for your reply. I have learned from it. I think Unions are going to have to get more power soon as what is occurring out there now is really taking the píss out of people. We are seeing massive proffits backed with further infringement on workers.

We also need to recall that at the same time the rail unions, the print unions, the maritime unions & dockers unions were all under similar attack, but often had leaders without a set of balls. Pretty much Bill Morris's utter cowardice when he stabbed the Liverpool dockers in the back, exemplified the breed.

That's another issue. Sadly, local branches often share an officer with other branches nowadays. Enthusiasm can be difficult when activities eat into personal time because of the size of area you're asked to cover.

More specific (and recent) PCS information relating to "all this" ;) :) :cool:

The Chief Exec, it would seem (say some! ;) ), has been utterly, erm, 'misleading' about how ahe wants employees/{CS members to vote, not that it's her job to say anyway!

Let's hear PCS' side of the case! :)

Here is the PCS branch letter to local members :

PCS said:
As members will be aware, yesterday evening Julie Lennard, DVLA Chief Executive, posted a message to [intranet] encouraging PCS members not to vote in the current industrial action ballot. This is a desperate attempt to stop PCS members at the DVLA from exercising their democratic right as members of the union.
Make no mistake, she has done this because she is still refusing, 910+ cases later, to get around the negotiating table with PCS and agree a plan to secure staff health and safety when Covid cases rise amongst staff on site.
Getting a mandate for further action at the DVLA is the only way to achieve this, as her desperate plea to our members shows.

PCS members at the DVLA met last night to mark the beginning of the ballot and hear from Mark Serwotka, PCS General Secretary, and PCS Branch Chair ..... on the day’s events.

Please click here to read PCS’ statement in response to Julie Lennard’s message on 12th October.

Industrial Action Ballot – VOTE NOW!

Ballot papers are beginning to land on the doormats of members so please do vote early and ensure you return your ballot paper in the prepaid envelope once it arrives.

You can find all of the information you need about our ballot, including why we are balloting, what we are asking members to vote on and how to request a replacement ballot paper, here.

Cllick both 'click here' and 'here', above, to get more detailed (and better) information about the strike and ballot, and about what PCS say is Management's outrageousness ..... ( :mad: )

Back
Top Bottom