Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cycling Chat Thread

For me it was quite a few years.
I was pumping them up as hard as I could with a small pump and it wasn't until I got a track pump that I realised I'd been under-inflating them - amplifying the problems caused by crap wheels and crap tyres...
I've almost certainly gone too far the wrong way now and just lately I've been consciously allowing them to get a bit soft (I have very slow leaks ...)
((((Continental tyres))))
I have an email record of once paying £33 for three "Country Plus" 26 x 1.75tyres complete with robust free inner tubes...
Those tyres would be still perfectly viable for the occasional cyclist even with the tread mostly gone.
The two current equivalents cost me £17 each and came in the post folded - the old ones had serious wire in them and were much heavier.

At least when it finally gave up all at once on the way home, I was in any case stuck behind a huge group of 20-somethings in Lycra taking up the whole path - presumably leisurely returning from a long ride - so just as well I took 10 minutes or so out so I had a chance of cranking it up before I got home and it was conveniently close to a bench, I had a spare tube and a decent pump - last time I needed to use that was back in February.

That little bit of glass would probably not have made it that far in my old tyres and in any case when I was commuting I used to service my bike every couple of weeks and actively inspect the tyres..

I suspect if my plans come to fruition and I acquire and maintain a small fleet of bikes for guests, I will have to switch my loyalty to another brand...

Last edited:
Absolutely epic. Lucked out with the weather. Think I might have killed my mate with 240km and 4800m of climbing.

Plymouth to Minehead and down to Taunton

View attachment 435452
View attachment 435454
View attachment 435455
View attachment 435456
View attachment 435453
View attachment 435457
First time reading this thread, despite being a long time urban and long time cyclist. Looks like you've camped at foggintor and chalk ford, as well as crossing Becka brook.

On cycling jackets, it’s going to be cold soon anyway so don’t worry about sweating. A lot of them have vents which make it better. Get one that’s comfortable, try it on. Endura are an alright brand for around the town stuff.

Thinking of getting an electric bike. I was looking into hiring one as I need to avoid physical exertion for a few weeks, but then thought that it would be better in the long term to just buy one. Anything to avoid Leeds public transport!
I have a £3K limit, the Specialized Turbo Vado looks OK, well reviewed anyway, so will have
a go on that at least.
But I was also thinking about storage and am now thinking of Bromptons, though not so sure about hills on one of those.

Does anyone have everyday experience of using an electric bike to climb sleep (but short) hills?

Thinking of getting an electric bike. I was looking into hiring one as I need to avoid physical exertion for a few weeks, but then thought that it would be better in the long term to just buy one. Anything to avoid Leeds public transport!
I have a £3K limit, the Specialized Turbo Vado looks OK, well reviewed anyway, so will have
a go on that at least.
But I was also thinking about storage and am now thinking of Bromptons, though not so sure about hills on one of those.

Does anyone have everyday experience of using an electric bike to climb sleep (but short) hills?
I suspect the hill-climbing ability of an e-bike will vary from bike to bike. I live in the Surrey Hills and my Cyrusher XF800 has no problem climbing the hills around here. The road to my house is about a 20%+ gradient and it's never an issue on it. My 90 year old neighbour has a Moustache e-bike (don't know the model) and he climbs the same hill easily too.

a go on that at least.

There’s a fella works in my building who has an electric Brompton and loves it. You still have gears, plus the motor, so hills won’t be a problem.

You might have to get used to the handling a bit, going to such small wheels compared to the road/hybrid bike you’re currently accustomed to.

That said, unless you need the folding bit for storage, a full size bike might be better for commuting.

Something like this maybe - comes with integrated lights, a rack, kickstand and full mudguards, so nice and practical…

Turbo Vado is a nice bike and has plenty of poke to get you up hills but is very heavy. This is ok if you're in a ground floor place and can roll it in and out but I certainly wouldn't want to carry it up stairs. The electric Brompton is obviously small and can fold up smaller but isn't designed to be used all the time as a commuter, it's designed to be an occasional use bike that you keep in your motor home and use to pootle inbetween the campsite and town to fetch your fresh baguettes. I used to work somewhere that sold them and we had quite a few back with dead hub motors because they had been used every day. It also hasn't got the same power or run time. Have a look at Ribble's ebikes, I've seen a few different ones of these through the shop for servicing and been impressed at their balance between power and weight/bulkiness. Some ebikes ride like a sofa with a motor. These ride like a normal bike that's just giving you a push at your back to help.

I've done over 10,000 miles on my Cube Katmandu and it's still going strong. It's been up and over numerous mountain passes and happily chomps through the endless Devon hills.

Back
Top Bottom