Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Covid Inquiry

By the way, in regards the James Forsyth reference at the end of that last one: James Forsyth (journalist) - Wikipedia

Forsyth joined Foreign Policy magazine as assistant editor[4] before launching Coffee House,[5] The Spectator's political blog, in 2007.[6] He was appointed deputy editor, online, of The Spectator in 2008[7] and political editor in 2009.[8]

He was also a weekly columnist for The Times[9] on a Friday, previously writing for The Sun on Saturdays and previously the Mail on Sunday.

He is an advisory board member of the ResPublica think tank in Westminster.[10]

On 24 December 2022, Forsyth was hired by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak as his political secretary

BBC writeup of the more sensational aspects of todays evidence:

What is unsurprisingly missing from this sort of report is the stuff that implies that the most powerful civil servant in the land (alebit one who was on the way out) at the timer was trying to come up with ways, after the first wave, to shift to a plan that involved segmentation of the population rather than lockdowns in future, despite scientific advice about the impracticality. ANd was discussing this on WhatsApp with the person who became his successor. Also missing Vallance remarks about how Sedwill gave him the evil eye when they bypassed the civil service to ditch plan a over a weekend in mid March 2020.

In regards what I just said in my previous post, please do let me know if you see any press reporting anywhere of the following:

segmentation1.png

and

segmentation2.png

(CW is Whitty, CX is Sunak)

During evidence with Priti Patel about pandemic policing and enforcement, the lead counsel says 'putting aside the crushing irony' when bringing these notes by Johnson up on the screen:

PMBiggerFines.png

The theme of the CMO (CW = Chris Whitty) being on the side of moving more slowly (fucking late) has also come up in other ways today during questioning of Vallance., Vallance is being kind about it, but its pretty clear that at various stages Whittys sense of balance ended up being part of the problem, and did not actually help reduce the harms that Whitty was concerned about that informed his view on that stuff in the first place.

A few bits of evidence in this regard that came up on the screen:

(the first one is I believe from a book by Jeremy Farrar who was Wellcome Trust head, SAGE person, now WHO chief scientist)

Farrar.png
WhittySlow.png
WhittySlowRegret.png

The fatigue, not from BS or SAGE is a reference to Whitty going on about fatigue if you go too early, in key March press conferences, a view that had not actually come from SAGE or from the behavioural scientists. It was a shit excuse for not acting early that he came up with back then, and this has come up in the inquiry a few times already, no doubt Whitty will be asked about this tomorrow.

Vallance says he never saw any evidence that the economic stuff took into account the idea that rising infections themselves would affect the economy, not just response measures affecting the economy.

What's the exact date for Hancock's and Johnson's appearance?

Because I cannot wait.
They only announce the witness timetable one week at a time, usually on a Thursday I believe.

They arent appearing this week. And there are only about 2 and a half weeks left of this module after this week. So they are likely to appear next week or the week after.

Vallance notes from late October 2020 when having to decide to lockdown again loomed large, features some interesting comments about the Tory party and certain Tory ministers, amongst other things.

lateoct1.png
lateoct2.png
lateoct3.png
lateoct4.png
lateoct5.png
lateoct6.png
lateoct7.png

lateoct8.png
lateoct9.png
lateoct10.png
lateoct11.png
lateoct12.png
lateoct13.png
lateoct14.png

I couldnt do anything about the messy format, although the blue highlighting is down to me grabbing those off the live video feed when they put them up on screen.

The pdf version of all that late October 2020 stuff is available at:

They've tried to probe Whitty today on the idea that he was a 'delayer' compared to the likes of Vallance, but he dealt with this in his typical fashion.

He remains an excellent example of how an orthodox professional with lots of experience can still doom us to late action despite appearing to be so very bloody reasonable, credible and balanced at all times.

They brought this up on screen, quotes from a speech Whitty gave to medical professionals in Feb 2020, some weeks before the shit hit the fan.

whittyfeb2020.png

Fucking Nick Triggle of the BBC, who was the shithead that wrote awful propaganda about carrying on with our lives at just the moment when the government were about to ditch their original pandemic approach (Friday 13th March 2020), and was full of dangerous shit when the second wave was growing too, is one of the BBC reporters covering the inquiry at the moment.

Given his pandemic track record I was entirely unsurprised to see him spinning things in the following way today:

He concedes – as he has done before – that the country went too late for the first lockdown.

But his testimony clearly illustrates why it is wrong to see this as all about how the government could have better suppressed the virus.

Bollocks to that last sentence.

from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-67451423?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=655c8c0b25a3f537282868b4&Managing Covid and lockdown a difficult balance&2023-11-21T11:11:30.978Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:a3d5e732-8a51-4b88-b6d1-7444eceeac5c&pinned_post_asset_id=655c8c0b25a3f537282868b4&pinned_post_type=share

Back
Top Bottom