Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Bible

Santino

lovelier than lovely
Is there a good critical/scholarly edition of The Bible, that explains the textual history of each book as you go along and has good notes?

The only critical work I have glanced at is the Norton Critical Edition of the King James Bible. But I didn’t do more than have a quick thumb through before deciding it was too in-depth for the studies I required it for.
I used Karen Armstrong’s, The Bible: A Biography. This is the story of how the Bible was compiled from Hebrew texts from the North and South of The region.
It is a good, informative read that gives a background and explanation of how this powerful and world changing book came to be, whether the reader is an atheist or believer.

I was going to mention the Norton Critical edition of KJB as well. Can pick it up well cheap - for a near 3000 page edition anyway - if you don't do the epubs. I was sure i'd read a multi-volume Cambridge edition but on checking that turns out be their series on christian history.

edit: just noticed that the link is just the old testament/hebrew bible. Vol 2 covers the NT and the Apocrypha

Last edited:
I was going to mention the Norton Critical edition of KJB as well. Can pick it up well cheap - for a near 3000 page edition anyway - if you don't do the epubs. I was sure i'd read a multi-volume Cambridge edition but on checking that turns out be their series on christian history.

edit: just noticed that the link is just the old testament/hebrew bible. Vol 2 covers the NT and the Apocrypha

I've the Volume 2 epub if it's wanted.

Is there a good critical/scholarly edition of The Bible, that explains the textual history of each book as you go along and has good notes?

For just the Torah you could try reading The Bible with Sources Revealed, by Richard Friedman. It uses different colour fonts to highlight which passages in the books of Moses come from which source according to the Documentary Hypothesis. Pretty fascinating to see how much of the particularly obnoxious stuff is from the 'Priestly' source, and was added centuries after the original document was composed. Well fascinating for a nerd like me anyway.

Great read about fraudulent goings-on in the world of papyrus scholarship, money chucked around by an evangelical backed Museum of the Bible encouraging fakery and theft, surprise surprise:
Good read that ta. Notice it mentions private school--oxbridge-BBC Bettany Hughes as an early Obbink booster (at the very least) though they no longer seem to be on the same page since his exposure.

Good read that ta. Notice it mentions private school--oxbridge-BBC Bettany Hughes as an early Obbink booster (at the very least) though they no longer seem to be on the same page since his exposure.
Sister of Middlesex stalwart and C4/BBC commentator Simon Hughes, obv.

Yes, her name leapt out at me too, must have watched a few of her docs off torrent.

“The Unauthorised Version. Truth and Fiction in the Bible.” by Robin Lane Fox is quite good. It doesn’t go into the minutiae of all the text, but does put everything into historical context, explaining where the fact and fiction meet and overlap. Because it deals with both Old and New Testaments and talks about them both concurrently (sort of) I found it a bit annoying at times, as it tries to find comparisons between the two where they don’t really exist. My own lack of historical knowledge of the enormous time span may not have helped here. Fox is no longer a believer, but he’s not a simplistic ranting atheist, like me.

Back
Top Bottom