Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Best Starter

FabricLiveBaby!

Live Baby Fabric!
I'd have to go with half and avocado, filled with prawns with lashings of seafood sauce.

I could murder an Avocado right now!

Do I hear the 1970s calling:

4886392657_e4d1eae884.jpg

Avocado - utterly vile IMO, so no - not the best starter! :eek: :p

It is - Thin sliced duck and ginger - light cooked asparagus and a small salad with the dressing of your choice. Great! :)

I like insalata caprese, also smoked salmon, that spanish thing with jamon and cheese on the plate and you just pick bits of it. Er, a nice soup, asparagus and jerusalem artichokes. Not all together obviously. I'm not really a massive starter fan I'd rather just have some bits and pieces on the table to pick at.

not if it's made with nice quality tomatoes and nice mozzarella. And good olive oil. And loads of black pepper *drool*

Not forgetting excellent balsamic... It's an amazing combination, kind of sums up the best elements of Italian cooking; high quality ingredients combined very simply.

For um... 'nibbles', good chilled sherry (dry), a decent jamon, manchego and olives is amazing. (e2a: as 8115 says)

It kind of depends what you mean by a starter of course, a lot of dishes we think of as mains are often used as starters.

Have a soft spot for parma ham and melons.

Baked avacado and smoked salmon in a cheese sauce.

Or greek style meze (falafels, pitta bread, taramasalata and humous), lovely.

I am being assured that good quality black pudding and pear, on a small dark green salad with blsamic dressing, is a superb starter.

I may investigate this weekend and I may even try ne of my precious pickled pears! :)

Glad to see the 80s have arrived on this thread DotComm! :p

I was put-off prawn cocktail when one christmas I was asked to get some for my mother and despite my substantial full-leather/motorbike gear carrying frame, I was lamped & nearly floored by this frail looking old dear who was hell-bent on getting the last two tubs of prawn cocktail in M&S! :eek:

i like a small main course, like a little dish of wild mushroom tortellini with cream and truffle oil, something really decadent.

starters in Norway are pretty amazing, with achingly fresh fish and orange caviar, served with nutty rye breads, creamy butter and sharp lemon basily salads with loads of olive oil and peppery watercress

Followed by a 1/2 pounder for mains :cool:

YES YES!!

Desert though? Maybe a Cranberry infused burger in a doughnut?

I like a starter, but if the starter is better than the main it pisses me off a bit. A small portion of something nice followed by a large portion of something less nice is not ideal. I think that there should be a tasting session beforehand. Say you chose a soup starter and steak main I thing you should be given an egg cup sized portion of each before committing wallet and tastebuds. People might think you are odd having a 4oz steak for starter and a massive bowl of soup for mains, but in these modern culinary times anything goes.

Garlic mushrooms in breadcrumbs with garlic mayo.
Some spicy deep fried parnips I had at Terre a Terre in Brighton once and have dreamed of ever since.

Best starter I ever had was a crab lasagne. About 5 inches tall and round, Dorset Crab...mouth's watering thinking about it.

Back
Top Bottom