Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Beatles Get Back documentary series directed by Peter Jackson

Well, they gave up because they'd got sick of not being able to hear themselves play, goes the story, due to screaming drowning out the crappy sound systems they had to employ in venues far too large for normal PAs. This led to more experimental stuff in the studio they probably couldn't reproduce live and which was more exciting than playing 200 times a year.
There was a lot more to it than that. After John's remarks about the Beatles being bigger than Jesus the whole thing had become a bit of a circus, with the KKK making death threats, and demos outside venues, many venues not even coming close to selling out. The Beatles also felt that as musicians they were going backwards - that ties in with not being able to hear themselves at gig, and then they very nearly got themselves arrested in The Philippines, death threats in Japan, and John had been offered a part in a film - all this with inevitable tensions between the band members which came to a head a year or two later during recordings of Sgt Pepper and The White album.
In a way the band really should have come to a natural end after '66, but McCartney suddenly stood up as the leader to keep the band together, while John became despondent and uninterested much of the time.

I use them, they're called "tape wound". Rotosound Trubass is one make. They are nice, last for ages and smooth, and sound sort of halfway between flat and roundwound sound.

Are they any good for fingerstyle playing? I like the sound of flatwounds (especially on a short scale bass like Macca's Hofner) but never got on with the feel of them, not enough friction.

Last edited:
Just managed to sit and watch the whole series back to back.
I am pleased this isn’t the film about a band breaking up that Let It Be, portrayed.
They finish playing on a rooftop having fun and being close mates.
This series busts some of the myths. It’s one of the best music documentaries I’ve seen.

Amazing to see how many cigarettes and rounds of tea and toast they lived on.
Also the profusion of funky 60s clothing and footwear.

Last edited:
As a former drug user myself I don't see how you could produce work like the Beatles produced while fucked the entire time. It may have been a bit of a PR stunt? None of them strike me as drug hounds.

Have you listened to Sgt Pepper or Magical Mystery Tour on acid?
Of course they’re total drug albums.

Messrs. K. and H. assure the public
their production will be second to none
And of course Henry The Horse dances the waltz

I saw a film today, oh boy
The English Army had just won the war
A crowd of people turned away
But I just had to look
Having read the book

Having watched Ron Howard’s documentary ‘Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years’, last year I can see why after Shea and a few gigs back in the UK they retreated to the studio.
They could concentrate on putting out better and more contemporary albums.
Playing over the tannoy system at Shea would have been very disheartening.

Having watched Ron Howard’s documentary ‘Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years’, last year I can see why after Shea and a few gigs back in the UK they retreated to the studio.
They could concentrate on putting out better and more contemporary albums.
Playing over the tannoy system at Shea would have been very disheartening.
It was also around the time where Lennon said something inadvisable like they were 'more popular than Jesus' and there was a load of bad press and burning of records going on. Touring is a drag that bumps up album sales but at that point they didn't need the publicity for the hassle involved and would get record sales anyway.

It was also around the time where Lennon said something inadvisable like they were 'more popular than Jesus' and there was a load of bad press and burning of records going on. Touring is a drag that bumps up album sales but at that point they didn't need the publicity for the hassle involved and would get record sales anyway.
Not touring didn’t hurt Steely Dan’s career either.
Donald Fagen used The Beatles as an example of concentrating on the productions.

Back
Top Bottom