Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Beatles Get Back documentary series directed by Peter Jackson

Finished part 3 last night, was surprised that I felt quite moved by the end of it. Credit to Peter Jackson I guess.
I didn't realise they only recorded Abbey Road after this, I thought it was before - all makes sense now. Part of the same energy though.

Sounds as if this film was originally meant to be cinema length and were it not for Covid shutting cinemas we wouldn't have got this 8 hour streamathon - a small silver lining then, as I loved the format of this whole thing. The rise of streaming in general seems to make long format views possible. I heard someone saying the same about podcasts, how there is no limit on lengths, episodes/series can be as long or short as it needs to be. I guess there's a danger of bloat there, but worth the risk.

Anyone else watching this? I managed to blag a Disney log in (the only place you can see it for now, sadly) and I've been blown away by the band's musicianship and camaraderie - and the incredible quality of the film.

oh man that looks excellent.

Watched it over the Xmas. Engrossing and brilliant stuff. Hugely informative into the both the creative and personal dynamics of how a truly talented band works. In this case, the greatest band of them all, obviously. When you think of their musical evolution (and revolution) over a mere 10 year period or so, it is pretty mind blowing. And, yes, while this film documents the ending point of their time together, it still brilliantly showcases that their creativity and hunger to produce the best music they could had not dimmed one iota. Loved every minute.

Six years really. Please Please Me was released in 1963.

But I think they formed the name The Beatles around 1960 or so (or I maybe incorrect in that?). So I was using that particular timeline as an approximation for a 10 year period 'or so' ( so probably 8 years actually) ie. start of the 1960s, start of the decade. Nevertheless, whatever the exact date is, doesn't change the fact that over an incredibly short span of time they produced an astonishing body of work and influence that will never be matched. And this fascinating film shows why.

I watched A Hard Day's Night yesterday and it's scarcely believable that in the four and a half years between the release of it and the filming of Get Back they:

released:

Albums:

Beatles for Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper
The Beatles (White Album)

EP:

Magical Mystery Tour

Singles:

I Feel Fine
We can work it out/Day Tripper
Paperback Writer/Rain
Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane
All you need is love
Hello Goodbye
Lady Madonna
Hey Jude/Revolution

Films:

Help!
Magical Mystery Tour

as well as tour, give up playing live, getting off their tits, dabbling with religion, etc etc

That's some fucking list in quantity, never mind quality

Also, I tend to forget how incredible McCartney is/was. Lennon was a major hero growing up, for all his faults, so in my mind he's "the best" in whatever schoolboy ranking I once gave him that still sticks now, but fucking hell McCartney's voice across this series. Phenomenal.
My two cents is that McCartney had star quality, but he would have been just as happy being one of the backroom boys - but Lennon had to be a star, it was in him and it had to come out.

I think the main reason I didn't get round to watching this was the Guardian review. Which wasn't quite as glowing as this thread.

I normally rate Petrides, but it sounds like he may have got this one a bit wrong. I'll check it out. Jackson does have a habit of stretching things out a bit though.

You wonder how many viewers will last the distance and if any, other than the aforementioned maniacs, will take it more than once.

I think the main reason I didn't get round to watching this was the Guardian review. Which wasn't quite as glowing as this thread.

I normally rate Petrides, but it sounds like he may have got this one a bit wrong. I'll check it out. Jackson does have a habit of stretching things out a bit though.
I agree Jackson does stretch things out but occasionally it works- lotr and this.

I loved his WW1 doco. Hated King Kong and I've tried to enjoy his Tolkein stuff but its the subject matter that turns me off there, I'm in a minority amongst my mates on that though.

its definitely not for everyone tbf, even a lot of people who like the music of the beatles wouldn't want to sit through what is effectively 8 hours of rehearsals.
"You wonder how many viewers will last the distance and if any, other than the aforementioned maniacs, will take it more than once." which is fair enough......its left me curious what the 18hour cut was like! :facepalm:

It’s far too long. There’s a lot that needn’t be there. But for people who have been in bands, it’s fascinating.

where can i see this? i have iplayer, amazon and netflix.

im a sucker for super detailed studio/ song creation and recording stuff. and ive heard this band are sposed to be quite decent so thought i should check them out.

im a sucker for super detailed studio/ song creation and recording stuff. and ive heard this band are sposed to be quite decent so thought i should check them out.

Disney+

Or torrents.

There’s currently no free introductory subscription to Disney Plus, so you have to decide if you want to pay a month’s sub so you can see this. I decided that I did. It was £7.99, so cheaper than a cinema ticket.

My two cents is that McCartney had star quality, but he would have been just as happy being one of the backroom boys - but Lennon had to be a star, it was in him and it had to come out.

Well Paul has the drive to continue to do gigantic tours in his late 70s, so i think he likes being a star.

But I think I know what you mean - he's equally happy to sit at a piano showing people his songs in progress for the sheer love of sharing what he's written.

LOTR trilogy was brilliant and took its time.
Hobbit trilogy was boring and took its time.

He must be quite the salesman to talk these huge studios into letting him make these massively elongated films. Interesting filmmaker though, chooses unusual subject matter, not churning out Hollywood shit which I'm sure he could do. Curious to see what he does next. I'm not sure I can do 9 hours of this all in one sitting though. The clips i've seen though all amazing, I can't imagine how much work went into restoring all that.

I've been reading 'One, Two, Three, Four - the Beatles in Time' - Craig Brown., on the back of a mates recommendation... It's superb so far... well-written, and loads of stuff I didn't know!

a fan has gone to great lengths to put this edit together of beatles talking about their drug use through the years
from the horses mouth

Back
Top Bottom