Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The actual covid risk on public transport

teuchter

je suis teuchter
My feeling, which may be subject to my own bias, is that public transport has ended up being excessively stigmatised as a major source of infection.

Here's a thread to collect information on what we do and don't know about infection risk on public transport. I'll start with this article from El Pais.

Whenever I used public transport in BC times, I was crammed in shoulder to shoulder with loads of other people. Smelling their breath, perfume or toothpaste in a dirty bus or carriage. So no, I don't agree with you.

Here in lies the problem I think. People associate public transport and in particular the London underground with extreme overcrowding. Under those circumstances the ventilation measures are somewhat irrelevant.

I'd be fine getting on a half empty train I think. Less so about a full one and a big no for a overcrowded one.

ETA: Also they keep telling us that planes are completely fine as well because of the way they use air but when me and my g/f became ill with likely covid back in early march it was 4 days after a plane journey with a bloke coughing away behind us.

Whenever I used public transport in BC times, I was crammed in shoulder to shoulder with loads of other people. Smelling their breath, perfume or toothpaste in a dirty bus or carriage. So no, I don't agree with you.
To compare apples with apples, we should be considering, for example, a rammed bus vs. a rammed pub.

Or, a bus with 1 in 3 seats occupied vs. a pub with spaced out tables and no-one standing.

To compare apples with apples, we should be considering, for example, a rammed bus vs. a rammed pub.

Or, a bus with 1 in 3 seats occupied vs. a pub with spaced out tables and no-one standing.

Surely we should be comparing the alternatives. Commuting on a train or bus that may or may not become rammed and on which some people may not be wearing masks vs. driving, walking, cycling or staying at home. This is the actual decision people make when assessing whether to use public transport. Whether buses are safer than pubs is irrelevant.

If people knew everyone would be wearing masks and that capacity restrictions would actually be in place and be strictly enforced, then this would obviously help.

Last edited:
I think it's useful to get a handle on perceived risk vs. actual risk. The consequences of transport decisions go beyond the individual's risk of covid infection.

If it's the case that it's riskier to go to a pub, than it is to get on a bus, and yet lots of people are happy to go to the pub but are completely avoiding public transport, then perception and therefore behaviour is out of step with reality.

Yeh. When you're in a pub it can take some hours, a great deal of money and alcohol to get there. And you're still where you started out before you leave. It's different on buses etc

I think it's useful to get a handle on perceived risk vs. actual risk. The consequences of transport decisions go beyond the individual's risk of covid infection.

If it's the case that it's riskier to go to a pub, than it is to get on a bus, and yet lots of people are happy to go to the pub but are completely avoiding public transport, then perception and therefore behaviour is out of step with reality.
No one goes into a pub to travel

In general my fear would simply be overcrowding rather than anything specifically with the air. Though it should be said that it wasn't that long ago that government advice for driving was to have windows open and keep well ventilated if carrying someone outside your bubble.

The surfaces (seats and hand bars etc) seem like a perfect vector for transmission as well. Though this can and should be managed by the individual but less easy with young kids. If people are still cleaning their bags of pasta and cans of baked beans they are not likely to want to touch anything inside a train that is cleaned once a day.

I really don't think the people going to rammed pubs are the same people who are reluctant to get on a bus.

Or they live close enough to pubs not to get public transport etc

I think for me at least the anxiety associated is something to do with feeling like I can’t control what is happening on a public transport journey, whereas if I went to a pub (which I havent) i could always leave immediately if I got a maskless splutterer too close to me. That’s why the flight snd airport on Sunday felt so scary the lack of an option to just walk out or to control what was going on in the 2m around me.

i've been on public transport a lot in the last week because i didn't have another option, i've still not been in a pub because i do have other options.
I've been in three pubs and on public transport in the past week but not used public transport to get to or from the pubs

I think for me at least the anxiety associated is something to do with feeling like I can’t control what is happening on a public transport journey, whereas if I went to a pub (which I havent) i could always leave immediately if I got a maskless splutterer too close to me. That’s why the flight snd airport on Sunday felt so scary the lack of an option to just walk out or to control what was going on in the 2m around me.
Yep. and in theory track and trace would kick in for a pub but not public transport. I can easily spend too long too close to someone (with or without them wearing a mask) on a bus.

I'm not keen on crowded tubes or trains with no masks at the best of times, but with enough distance and everyone wearing masks, I'm no more worried right now than I would be walking around Tesco tbh.

Right now, I'm getting a 6:12am train to work and it's just about comfortable enough for everyone to be sat with a free seat besides them. But if it gets to a point where I'm forced to stand up and people are up in my face then I may just WFH again.

To compare apples to a duck-billed platypus.
Pubs aren't public transport.

and yet lots of people are happy to go to the pub but are completely avoiding public transport
Do you have any proof this is happening, or did you just make it up?

Problem solved.

lindo-e-romantico.jpg

Surely ww should be comparing the alternatives. Commuting on a train or bus that may or may not become rammed and on which some people may not be wearing masks vs. driving, walking, cycling or staying at home. This is the actual decision people make when assessing whether to use public transport. Whether buses are safer than pubs is irrelevant.

If people knew everyone would be wearing masks and that capacity restrictions would actually be in place and be strictly enforced, then this would obviously help.

The relative risk is relevant when it comes to the decision about whether to close pubs while still encouraging office working.

Back
Top Bottom