Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thatcher is dead

It's just a stupid song!
Has anyone actually listened to it? It's one of those songs that you don't need to play as it's already in your head

Arsebiscuits I say!
It's actually quite effective. The coverage around the world will be immense. Calling her a witch is quite an insult, especially in cultures which don't get English humour. We need the international news coverage to counter all the eulogies from foreign leaders. Got to be worth 99p just to get up some Tory noses.

Apologies if it's already been posted, but here's something I didn't expect: an Elton John anti-Thatcher song.
"Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher"
(Music by Elton John, Lyrics by Lee Hall)

Can you hear it in the distance
Can you sense it far away
Is it old Rudolph the reindeer
Is it Santa on his sleigh
It's heading up to Easington
It's coming down the Tyne
Oh it's bloddy Maggie Thatcher
And Michael Heseltine

[Chorus:]

So merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher
May God's love be with you
We all sing together in one breath
Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher
We all celebrate today
'Cause it's one day closer to your death
They've come to raid your stockings
And to steal your Christmas pud
But don't be too downhearted
It's all for your own good
The economic infrastructure
Must be swept away
To make way for call centres
And lower rates of pay

[Chorus]

And they've brought their fascist boot boys
And they've brought the boys in blue
And the whole Trade Union Congress
Will be at the party too
And they'll all hold hands together
All standing in a line
'Cause they're privatising Santa
This merry Christmas time

[Chorus 2x]

Oh my darling, oh my darling, oh my darling Heseltine
You're a tosser, you're a tosser
And you're just a Tory Swine

Yes I see the point but i don't see how it is surprising or that worthy of shock or comment
ok
do you think the bbc are right in their decision or even to make the decision?
and why this would annoy people/good to make it into an issue to illustrate the point?

ok
do you think the bbc are right in their decision or even to make the decision?
and why this would annoy people/good to make it into an issue to illustrate the point?
No, they are not right to not play it.
I can see how you can view the matter as distasteful and remain impartial but not playing it isn't right, unless there are other occasions in which they have banned a song for being rude about a dead person.
It is a minor issue, but it's taken over my timelines like it's a tsunami or something equally newsworthy. I just think that's a bit of an overkill.

Sense of guilt?

I grew up in east London. 90% of everyone I know (and still do ) votes Tory and certainly prefers Thatcher over the woolly puffs we have now. I think you're under estimating how popular Maggie remains to this day amongst Tories - they'd certainly poll more with a leader like that now.

That must be why east London constituencies return so many Tory MPs, and why east London boroughs are held by Tory councils.

Oh, hold on, you either know fuck-all people (likely, given you're such a pathetic specimen of homo sapiens sapiens), or you're lying (also likely), because your claims don't reflect the electoral reality over the last 100 or so years. Now ain't that a surprise?

Oh, and "woolly puffs"? Projecting your shame again, toe-rag?

I can see how you can view the matter as distasteful and remain impartial but not playing it isn't right, unless there are other occasions in which they have banned a song for being rude about a dead person.
It is a minor issue, but it's taken over my timelines like it's a tsunami or something equally newsworthy. I just think that's a bit of an overkill.
Don't read them then - the internet doesn't revolve around you.

Its funny as fuck. Totally farcical.

I bought it. I think it'll be great if it gets to Number 1. A nice little 'fuck off' to her and the rest of Britain that thinks we should show reverence just because she's died.

That must be why east London constituencies return so many Tory MPs, and why east London boroughs are held by Tory councils.

Oh, hold on, you either know fuck-all people (likely, given you're such a pathetic specimen of homo sapiens sapiens), or you're lying (also likely), because your claims don't reflect the electoral reality over the last 100 or so years. Now ain't that a surprise?

Oh, and "woolly puffs"? Projecting your shame again, toe-rag?

is that right?

Redbridge was a mostly Tory borough and I think you'll find that Wanstead and Woodford was very nearly always Tory - thanks to Winny mainly (God rest his soul)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanstead_and_Woodford_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Projecting my shame? Is that a Leslie Grantham reference?

is that right?

Redbridge was a mostly Tory borough and I think you'll find that Wanstead and Woodford was very nearly always Tory - thanks to Winny mainly (God rest his soul)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanstead_and_Woodford_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

So what you actually meant was that one constituency that you know off, and one borough may have had avid fellow Torey-voters for you to have submerged your shame among.
Pity you chose to say "east London" when you meant one pissant part of it, eh?

Projecting my shame? Is that a Leslie Grantham reference?

Projection-the phenomenon where you accuse others of being what you secretly are.

So what you actually meant was that one constituency that you know off, and one borough may have had avid fellow Torey-voters for you to have submerged your shame among.
Pity you chose to say "east London" when you meant one pissant part of it, eh?

Projection-the phenomenon where you accuse others of being what you secretly are.

One constituency that I know of? Not one that I lived in for 17 years? Your blood pressure will get too high in a minute.

It must really gall people like you that Maggie is still revered in huge parts of the country

Back
Top Bottom