Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

TfL charge issue

Elpenor

Dancing as fast as I can
So I got off a SWR train at Waterloo, having boarded the train in East Devon. Rather than going to the gateline and to the main station concourse, I went down some stairs signposted towards the tube and seeing a ticket barrier used my contactless card :( thinking “this must be to enter the tube network” rather than use my train ticket to “exit the train network”.

I went from Waterloo to Wood Green and have been charged £12.50 on my card instead of £2.90. I presume this is the maximum daily cap?

How can I get TfL to give me a refund?

I feel a lot better now that it seems that plenty of people do it. Next time I will exit onto the concourse via the gate line even though it takes an extra few minutes

I’m a bit green with contactless as when I went to London from Reading I used to use paper tickets as that got me the network railcard discount.

I’ve just noticed that the tube station staff are striking on the day I’m next in London (June 6th) so doing it online seems the easiest way to resolve

I’ve just noticed that the tube station staff are striking on the day I’m next in London (June 6th) so doing it online seems the easiest way to resolve

Contactless charges have to go through TFL customer services, oyster card charges can usually be dealt with by staff but even then they may tell you to go through CS as the journey query is a few days old.

scary thing is that I may very well have done this without ever noticing. I don't usually check. Bet it's a nice little earner for tfl.

Maybe this is why they’re so willing to give refunds when you apply for them. I’ve always found it to be a really swift easy process. Never had to justify or provide evidence further than what they have on their own computer records. Last time I didn’t even need to log into my account, just applied for the refund. And they apologised that it might take more than 24 hours.

Although it’s possible that in a normal world where things work properly and people aren’t automatically assumed to be criminals as default, it would all be like this.

Trying to get refunds for train, gig tickets, sort out erroneous parking tickets etc. is so fucking traumatic we’ve all got ptsd and get triggered by the very idea of trying to get a refund from TfL.

Ive always done it online, except for the times I’ve done it by phoning them up directly and being astonished by how quickly they answer the phone and sort it out.

Yeah do it online, I used to do shit like that at least half a dozen times a year when I commuted and they always refund promptly.

Ive always done it online, except for the times I’ve done it by phoning them up directly and being astonished by how quickly they answer the phone and sort it out.
I've done it in person at Waterloo a couple of times. Bloody W&C line interchange. 😡

I do this quite often because i just go onto autopilot when i see a gateline and usually realise what I've done about 10 microseconds after my card hits the reader.

Quite often I can't be bothered going through the whole process of getting a refund, and instead log on to my TfL account, find the 'incomplete journey' and tell it that I forgot to touch in, and that i started at whatever the closest station to the touch out point was. This usually reduces the fare from £10-15 to more like £2 and I just write off that £2 rather than spending however long it would take to get it fully refunded.

In any case I would usually be able to make the £2 back via some fare dodging opportunity at a later date, if I were ever to engage in such a thing which of course I wouldn't.

If you do it on the way into a station (to start a journey you've bought a ticket for) then you can usually get it to automatically cancel the contactless entry by tapping out again, then re-entering using your rail ticket. However, you should wait for two minutes before tapping out. If you do it quicker than this, the system won't auto cancel, I think to stop people doing some kind of fare evasion move.

Back
Top Bottom