Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Television programmes about television programmes

DaveCinzano

WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!
There is so much television out there, but seem to be surprisingly few programmes about television, and of those there are mostly in one of three broad formats. Any more for any more?

People talking about TV
  • Clive James On Television (1982-1988, 1997-1998) - Australian essayist says witty things about telly clips
  • Floyd On Television (1989) - dipsomaniac telly chef Keith Floyd takes over from Clive James briefly
  • Tarrant On TV (1990-1996, 1998-2006) - ex-Tiswas host takes on the mantle from Clive James, gives it back, has a second go
  • In Bed With MeDinner (1992-1999) - comedian Bob Mills goes on flights of fancy over obscure bits of old VT, mostly documentaries
  • The Haunted Fishtank (1998) - comedian Ed Hall quips about the week's television
  • TV Burp (2001-2012) - comedian Harry Hill quips about the weeks television
  • Ponderland (2007-2008) - comedian Russell Brand quips around a theme bolstered by archive telly clips
  • Paddy's TV Guide (2013) - something or other with Paddy McGuinness, probably for contractual reasons
  • Gogglebox (2013-present) - ‘ordinary people’ filmed at home watching television (curated by the production company)
  • It's Clarkson On TV (2020-2021) - jeezuz titty fuck I can't be arsed with this bullshit worst fucking thread of 2024 shoot me now someone put me out of my misery
Quiz shows about TV
  • Telly Addicts (1985-1998) - Noel Edmonds referees a quiz show about telly featuring family-based teams
  • TV Showdown (2021-2022) - Paul Sinha presents a revived version of Telly Addicts
Feedback programmes about TV
  • Points Of View (1961-present) - a rolling roster of presenters summarise viewer feedback on BBC programmes that week
  • Right To Reply (1982-2001) - Channel 4 version of Points Of View

You’ve forgotten the rash of cheap talking heads shows where people like Kate Thornton feigned excitable nostalgia at whatever clips the research team could get rights to and collate as the 100 best telly moments within a particular genre.

Willo The Wisp was a television cartoon about a television (Evil Edna) so nearly counts.

As might the Teletubbies, if their tummies are bona fide television receivers, but that’s not entirely clear.

That's Life?

sausages
Doesn't meet the threshold I'm afraid - needs to be minimum 66% TV-related material, and there's just too high a proportion of vegetable/heart-rending sick children/shitty bawdy song content in That's Life! (exclamation mark obligatory)

What about TV dramas about the creation and filming of real life TV shows?
There was one about Doctor Who (An Adventure in Time and Space)
There was one about the whole Crossroads thing (Nolly)
There was one about Coronation Street (The Road to Coronation Street)

Probably others, but those are the ones that were off the top of my head.

Quite a decent interview from 2020 with Bob Mills about MeDinner:

Unpaywalled
Here's the clip mentioned in the Telegraph piece about the fella who labelled his son's picture ‘FUCKING GRASS’:

The bloke was Ken Keating (mentioned in posts here over the years up until his death in 2011, due to amongst other things his involvement in Class War in Salford) and the clips were from a documentary called ‘Family Feuds’ on Channel 4's Cutting Edge documentary strand, reviewed here:

Nope

Here y'go:

Back
Top Bottom