Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Teacher training: Teach First?

I think if I understood right I can only get a bursary if it was secondary maths, there's no bursary for primary courses... but there are a few paid courses near me.
It was a few years ago (2015) that I did mine, I don’t know what bursaries are available now.

If all else is relatively equal do a PGCE. The Tories are desperate to teacher training being a postgrad uni thing so that's reason enough to pick that route in my book.

I'm on a TF related programme at the moment, and someone I know is involved with recruitment for TF Maths. They really need Maths teachers so you don't have to be that good to get on. It's not as competitive as some other subjects.

The acronyms, jargon and mnenomics are annoying me already though.

I was their mentor. They were placements in my class.
Do you get them every year, or did they just get dropped in? I kind of thought schools developed a relationship with the scheme, and that they were getting people who already had a lot of work/community experience and so could actually do some good... have I been fooled by the mission statement, it sounds like?

If all else is relatively equal do a PGCE. The Tories are desperate to teacher training being a postgrad uni thing so that's reason enough to pick that route in my book.
Yeah I need to work out if the money side is equal, as I just can't afford a paid course.... not totally sure what your second sentence means is there a word missing sorry!

Absolutely this. I had 2 TF trainees with me a couple of years ago. It did not go well. It can be done - 6 weeks and then teach - but ime it's hellish for all concerned. As a TF trainee, you basically get thrown at under-staffed schools; the majority in very challenging contexts. One of my trainees couldn't cope with being called a cunt all day (by the kids, not me); the other could do it but couldn't handle the workload, which is astronomical even if you know vaguely what you're doing and have a few years experience under your belt. I'm not a gatekeeper or whatever - I don't necessarily think you can't teach without qualifications - I've never seen it done effectively over a period of time though.
Even if you have done a full fat PGCE and have a little experience the first year or two is often a baptism of fire.

Absolutely this. I had 2 TF trainees with me a couple of years ago. It did not go well. It can be done - 6 weeks and then teach - but ime it's hellish for all concerned. As a TF trainee, you basically get thrown at under-staffed schools; the majority in very challenging contexts. One of my trainees couldn't cope with being called a cunt all day (by the kids, not me); the other could do it but couldn't handle the workload, which is astronomical even if you know vaguely what you're doing and have a few years experience under your belt. I'm not a gatekeeper or whatever - I don't necessarily think you can't teach without qualifications - I've never seen it done effectively over a period of time though.
Tbf this sounds quite like the school I did my pgce placement in 🤣 I was the oldest teacher there iirc (even older than the Head) and I was 31/32! Fortunately I was in reception and we were in a classroom apart from the main building so I (mostly) avoided anyone calling me a cunt :thumbs:

maomao yout doing teacher training right? and SpookyFrank i think if i remember right?

Yes, I'm doing a uni-based PGCE though, not Teach First. We only got about eight weeks' training before being chucked into schools though and most of that online, and we got charged 9,250 quid in fees for that. The taught bit of the course was pretty good admittedly, but not nine grand's worth.

Tbf this sounds quite like the school I did my pgce placement in 🤣 I was the oldest teacher there iirc (even older than the Head) and I was 31/32! Fortunately I was in reception and we were in a classroom apart from the main building so I (mostly) avoided anyone calling me a cunt :thumbs:
Sounds like my school too :D I've only seen the other teachers online and I thought they were all sixth formers...until I realise the school doesn't have a sixth form.

Yes, I'm doing a uni-based PGCE though, not Teach First. We only got about eight weeks' training before being chucked into schools though and most of that online, and we got charged 9,250 quid in fees for that. The taught bit of the course was pretty good admittedly, but not nine grand's worth.
mm so that isn't very different to the teach first scheme then as far as being thrown in at the deep end... was that partly cos of Covid or just how the course always is?

The acronyms, jargon and mnenomics are annoying me already though.

Oh christ the acronyms. And they change all the time too. This year it's 'EAL' for kids whose first language is not English but it'll soon be something else. Also 'DSL' for Designated Safeguarding Lead...um in this context 'lead' is clearly an adjective and can't just be left hovering without a noun like that :mad:

mm so that isn't very different to the teach first scheme then as far as being thrown in at the deep end... was that partly cos of Covid or just how the course always is?

It's always like that. We get one day in college a month while on placement and two visits from a uni tutor but that's it. But tbh there's only so much theoretical stuff you can usefully do without practical teaching experience, and half of the theory goes straight out the window the second you get into an actual school anyway.

Well, it doesn't stop once you start teaching. On my PGCE the teaching gradually replaced the course. At first the teaching hours felt like they were getting in the way of studying; by the end it felt like studying was getting in the easy of teaching.

Oh christ the acronyms. And they change all the time too. This year it's 'EAL' for kids whose first language is not English but it'll soon be something else. Also 'DSL' for Designated Safeguarding Lead...um in this context 'lead' is clearly an adjective and can't just be left hovering without a noun like that :mad:
EAL is at least logical. But "tracking", and eyes on me, and plomping or scatting or whatever are just pathetic gimmicks that distract from the content.

So the acronyms aren't specific to Teach First, they're just part of current teacher training?

EAL is at least logical. But "tracking", and eyes on me, and plomping or scatting or whatever are just pathetic gimmicks that distract from the content.

Yeah one of the teachers in my department uses 'SLANT' which is shut up, sit up straight, listen, 'track the speaker' and several other things rolled into one single barked command so as to get around the basic teaching rule of not giving kids multiple instructions all at once.

Many kids, particularly ASD (yeah I know, another acronym) kids may well listen better when they're not pointing their eyeballs directly at you, but never mind that eh?

So the acronyms aren't specific to Teach First, they're just part of current teacher training?

Teaching generally is rank with acronyms. Many are there to cover up the fact that teachers are expected to keep more things in their heads at once than any mortal human possibly can. This isn't multiple letters each of which refers to a complex and subtle thing in its own right, it's just one simple word: GRFKUFFLD.

Back
Top Bottom